Nothing Will Download/Save from internet, all browswers, Help!

modgerody

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hey i Am having a Major problem. I cant download anything, it just disappears, no matter what browser im using.

Ive checked and reset all the security settings. Control panel - reset, custom, set to low medium, enable downloads. Nothing works.

When in chrome, it downloads and then i clicked it to open and it just says windows cannot find the file, and in the download tab it shows it as removed. It downloads, then disappears all the time.

In IE, it says when security settings dont allow the file to be downloaded and it wont even attempt to download.

And in mozilla the thing comes up that says open and save as, so i click save and the little download box appears in the corner and before it can even start, it says cancelled. So i click retry, it downloads, then i go to open and its NO Where to be found.

No browser downloads, so its not my IE/mozilla/Chrome settings, theres something else going on, its driving me insane. It happened after i downloaded some torrents, then upon the next restart i think it just stopped working. Avast and Malwarebytes find nothing! I need some help Im going insane.

modgerody

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
10$ via paypal to the person with the solution, :).

Please dont make me do a restore.

Ive typed this into google, many people have the same problem, most the security settings to medium fixes it, that doesnt work. And none of the other solutions Ive found either work. Hope someone can help.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
You don't have to offer money here, in fact we can lose our access to the forums by accepting it. It has to be a setting, or the effect of an add-on tool bar. If you have toolbars remove them and see if that helps. What do you mean by restore? you shouldn't have to reimage your computers OS because of this. you may have to remove and re-instal chrome.

modgerody

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Its not just chrome, its IE, mozilla, Opera, safari, Like Im not capable of downloading. Ive removed ALL toolbars, closed avast. I will have to reimage, my computers pretty much usless if i cant receive downloads or save anything.

I keep getting a wierd error as well, that i dont have permission to do this and that. I think I have a real bad virus or something, and I dont know what to do if avast and malwarebytes doesnt find it.

tomokoja

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
check or define what's default download directory for your browsers. then try again. also i think firewall could be messing. are you logged in as administrator? another scenario - some strange setting on your ISP side, but thats unlikely.

modgerody

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Let me just add this....Im really good with computers, like id say i know more then 8/10 people...steeming all the way down to running a botnet server, zombie computer tasks, to maintaining a call center server/150+ computers.

Ive tried all the simple things, firewall, download directory, its none of those, Trust me i searched for 2 days before making this thread, I didnt just come crying for help. Im really stuck here. And Im about 2 more days away from doing a system re-image...which i really DONT wanna do.

tomokoja

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
so can you save a newly created doc to a drive? and upload same doc to whatever pic storage web and download it back? or move to some other drive and back? just test things to see where exactly its preventing you. and its most likely some freaking setting. i am not that expert though, with experience that you have you should know more..

tomokoja

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
about it? so what else have you tried? e.g. putting anything larger then notepad file to the SAME folder where the downloads are? a disk full? rights lost? is it a home or corporate desktop? if its a company pc then you have hundreds of other possible reasons, proxy settings, permissions, account lockouts etc. and all that you should know. Come on, i am not IT pro but considering the time you had to solve it and also experience, I believe that you just didn't put effort to it or it's aliens invading your pc. :)

you have to hit some conclusions after you test something, right?

Probably rootkitted. It's virtually impossible to fully clean an active drive as the virus/malware/rootkit is active and can take measures to prevent it's detection/removal. You need to remove the drive from the PC, attach it externally via USB to a known, clean, machine where you perform a full scan with both the AV scanner and Malwarebytes (my preferred tool). Ideally you want to do this on 3 or more machines, each running a different AV suite (no single AV is 100% effective). Only then do you put the drive back into the original PC.

First of all, slow down. We can only type so fast and like Groundrat told you, we cannot and will not accept money for help.

Sounds like someone needs to freshin' up on the forum rules.

Go HERE for more help!

As for your issue, If you are seeing a download start on your computer its happening and then simply going somewhere weird. It's not just creating itself and vanishing into thin air.

Have you tried doing a Windows File Search for anything that you've attempted to download through any of the browsers?
Have you tried booting to Safe Mode w/Networking and doing the same type of download? What were the results?

You said that you've ran Avast and MalwareBytes and they came back clean.
What type of scan did you run with MalwareBytes? Full, Quick, or Flash? If you did Quick or Flash, run a Full scan again.
Have you tried modifying any of the startup items or services? It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

There has to be an explanation to what is going on (believe it or not) but it may take some time getting to that. Patience is an adequate virtue in the world of IT and you cannot get flustered or rushed about it or it will only lead to more mistakes which in turn will lead to disaster.

Also go HERE and run the TDDS Killer which is a root-kit detector and remover.

Sid6point7

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I am posting this here for anyone who also has the same issue. I have a fresh copy of Win7 & it seems to me that it has something to do with one of the Windows updates not a rootkit or virus & i have also noticed some inconsistencies with Java also after the update. As far as which one is anyone's guess but mine is Service Pack 1.