[crawl] YACD

Hi!

I have a character going fairly well, but I'm unsure about how to
proceed. He started as a Grey Elf Warper, but turned into a combined
Warper and Fire elementalist (with enough muscle to beat up a fair lot
of opponents too).

I've done the mines and the Lair, but the other branches in the lair
must be in separate caves, since I can't find them. (And magic mapping
scrolls are rare this game.) I'm thinking about going into the Vaults
and see what I find there, since I'm not buff enough for the Elven
halls.

Also, any tips/hints on skills I should add or concentrate on? I've
got a few books, and I am thinking about either adding some Earth
skills (for the fire resistant stuff), or going with summoning. I
suppose Enchantments could be helpful too.

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 23 character file.

ivan the Nimble (Grey Elf)
(Level 16 Warper)
Experience : 16/154749
Strength 12 Dexterity 16 Intelligence 23
Hit Points : 98 Magic Points : 36
AC : 10 Evasion : 17 Shield : 8
GP : 1172

You are in the Ecumenical Temple
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +2,+1 elven long sword of speed (weapon)
b - a +0,+1 long sword of holy wrath
Armour
g - a +5 leather armour (worn)
j - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
m - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
s - a +0 elven large shield (worn)
E - a +0 elven cloak (worn)
Magical devices
i - a wand of disintegration (3)
k - a wand of draining (6)
D - a wand of fireball
I - a wand of digging
Comestibles
v - 18 honeycombs
Scrolls
e - a scroll of remove curse
h - a scroll of recharging
o - 2 scrolls of teleportation
t - a scroll of blinking
F - 2 scrolls of identify
L - a scroll of detect curse
Jewellery
c - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
l - a ring of wizardry (right hand)
u - a ring of poison resistance
z - a ring of fire
C - a ring of see invisible
J - a +5,+6 ring of slaying (left hand)
O - a ring of protection from cold
Potions
n - a potion of might
r - 2 potions of invisibility
B - 4 potions of healing
X - 2 potions of speed
Books
d - a book of the Warp
f - a book of Callings

You have 1123 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 8 Fighting
- Level 7 Short Blades
- Level 12 Long Blades
- Level 3 Darts
- Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 16 Dodging
+ Level 9 Stealth
+ Level 4 Stabbing
- Level 7 Short Blades
- Level 12 Long Blades
- Level 3 Darts
- Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 16 Dodging
+ Level 9 Stealth
+ Level 4 Stabbing
+ Level 3 Shields
+ Level 2 Traps & Doors
- Level 11 Spellcasting
- Level 10 Conjurations
- Level 11 Translocations
- Level 11 Fire Magic
+ Level 3 Evocations

You have 15 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Blink Translocation Excellent
2
c - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent
2
d - Sticky Flame Fire/Conjuration Great
4
e - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Very Good
5
f - Teleport Self Translocation Great
5
g - Controlled Blink Translocation Great
4

Mutations & Other Weirdness
Your muscles are strong (Str +1).
Your mind is acute (Int +1).
You are agile (Dex +1).
You can control translocations.
You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.
Your vision is a little blurry.

anotherfalsemessiah@spray.se (Johan Strandell) wrote:

> I have a character going fairly well, but I'm unsure about how to
> proceed. He started as a Grey Elf Warper, but turned into a
> combined Warper and Fire elementalist (with enough muscle to beat
> up a fair lot of opponents too).
[...]
> I'm thinking about going into the Vaults and see what I find there,
> since I'm not buff enough for the Elven halls.

For a conjurer type, the Elven Halls are easy. Seeing you have bolt
of fire, there's nothing to stop you from cleaning them out now. The
Vaults will be significantly more dangerous.

> Also, any tips/hints on skills I should add or concentrate on?

> Skills:
> - Level 12 Long Blades
> + Level 9 Stealth
> + Level 4 Stabbing
> - Level 11 Spellcasting
> - Level 10 Conjurations
> - Level 11 Fire Magic

You have way too many important skills turned off (spellcasting,
conjurations, fire magic, long blades) and stealth and stabbing
turned on. I'd strongly recommend turning on every one of those
skills up there, and turning off stealth.

You also need to focus on spellcasting rather than long swords. That
long sword skill will come in handy, but don't make it your primary
attack. Grey elves are not the best fighters around, and you want to
play to your strengths.

> You have 15 spell levels left.

Aren't you asking Sif Muna for more spellbooks?

Darshan

Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> wrote in message news:<Xns9561765299B41darshansaztecsoftnet@130.133.1.4>...

Well, YASD in the Hall of Blades. Since the weapons are immune to fire
damage I had to duke it out hand-to-hand. I had almost cleared it when
I ran into a glaive and thought "just one more hit and it'll be dead."
No.

Actually, this is what I like about Crawl. Even when you're killing
most everything in sight with ease you run the risk of being beat into
the ground by something slightly more tough, unlike Nethack where
you're basically immune to most attacks after a while. Crawl really
punishes you when you think nothing can hurt you, and it keeps you on
your toes (or it should). But perhaps I'm preaching to the choir here.
:)

> > Skills:
> > - Level 12 Long Blades
> > + Level 9 Stealth
> > + Level 4 Stabbing
> > - Level 11 Spellcasting
> > - Level 10 Conjurations
> > - Level 11 Fire Magic
>
> You have way too many important skills turned off (spellcasting,
> conjurations, fire magic, long blades) and stealth and stabbing
> turned on. I'd strongly recommend turning on every one of those
> skills up there, and turning off stealth.

I turned stealth off when it reached level 10, but it was actually
more useful than I thought it would be - I could sneak up to most
monsters and stab them, or get the attention of one monster at a time
when they came in groups.

> You also need to focus on spellcasting rather than long swords. That
> long sword skill will come in handy, but don't make it your primary
> attack. Grey elves are not the best fighters around, and you want to
> play to your strengths.

I used sticky flame + bolt of fire a lot to roughen up/kill most
opponent, but I wanted to get a few more hitpoints from Fighting.
Since it was working well enough I didn't see the need of getting it
higher.

> > You have 15 spell levels left.
>
> Aren't you asking Sif Muna for more spellbooks?

Yes, but I was holding out for some more books. I wasn't sure whether
I should go with Summon elemental (with Conjure flame), Fireball or
some completely different spell school. In hindsight I could have
tried it all out, and used Forget spell if I needed but since I mostly
worship Vehumet with spellcasters I forgot about it.

What's a good complementary attack spell in this situation? Fire works
out great with most enemies, but when faced with resistant monsters it
gets really worthless. Bolt of Magma? Iskendrun's Mystic Blast?

/Johan