In short: $800 desktop-replacement laptop to run WoW on low-med, prefer brands like HP, Dell, Compaq.
1. What is your budget? $800
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15"-17"
3. What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't really matter
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement
5. How much battery life do you need? 1-2 hours (going to be a desktop replacement anyhow)
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Probably just WoW (I'm hoping to run WoW on medium but I don't mind low)
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Other than gaming, just browsing the internet, going on microsoft word, etc.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 400gb+ 5400 Rpm I can live with but 7200 rpm would be nice
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. dell.com, hp.com, newegg.com, bestbuy.com (no specific computers yet)
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years at least
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Nothing fancy just DVD ROM
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I prefer HP, Dell, Compaq (family-friendly brands generally). No Asus. (Check additional info for reasons why)
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Basically, for my 15th birthday I've convinced my father to buy me a laptop. I am fairly computer literate, but he is not and he refuses to buy me anything not from Dell, HP, Compaq (family-friendly brands). Budget is tight. Desktop PC's are NOT an option (to keep things short, I'm on the move quite a bit for some family reasons). I know $800 is not a lot, and laptops aren't great for gaming, but all I'm asking for is a laptop to run WoW (doesn't matter if it's on low settings) and do homework/browse the web while lasting me 3 years+ (until I enter college).
These days your $800 budget is going to get a excellent all-round laptop and the ability to run WoW on Med settings.
HP Pavilion dv7t series with a base price of $650 http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_ser...
A CPU upgrade to Core i5 460M and a grapics upgrade to ATI HD 5650 will take the price up to your $800 budget.
You'll get a free upgrade to 6GB of RAM and a 17.3" 1600x900 resolution LCD.
You could stick with the standard Core i3 i3-380M and the HD 5470 video card upgrade and get low range Med WoW settings for about $700