[crawl] meditations on difficulty

Deep Elf Wizard: Start off nicely (gotta love that big fat spellcasting
skill) but I keep getting killed when I hit DL5 with no sign of a source
of Bolt of (Cold/Fire/Magma). (Yes, V. or S.M. would dish it out
eventually, but...)

Deep Elf Conjurer: I die more often on DL1 due to ENOMANA and giant
bats (do these *really* have to be three times as fast as the player?),
but if I get going (usually involving finding some accessories on DL1;
is it just me or are accessory armours horribly, horribly important?) I
do quite well.

Hill Orc Priest of Yredelemnul: Centaurs and filthy heretics (orc priests)
cause me real trouble. Goes quite nicely up to there, though.

Ghoul: Yeeeowch. Mark, I fear your leet Crawl skills :)

Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
> Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> growled:

>> Deep Elf Wizard: Start off nicely (gotta love that big fat
>> spellcasting skill) but I keep getting killed when I hit DL5 with
>> no sign of a source of Bolt of (Cold/Fire/Magma). (Yes, V. or
>> S.M. would dish it out eventually, but...)

> What's 'V.'? (I can guess that S.M. might mean Small Mammals, but
> it doesn't look right, either.)

Vehumet and Sif Muna.

>> Deep Elf Conjurer: I die more often on DL1 due to ENOMANA and

> What's 'ENOMANA'?

No mana error.

>> giant bats (do these *really* have to be three times as fast as
>> the player?)

They need to be fast, or what's the point?

>> , but if I get going (usually involving finding some accessories
>> on DL1; is it just me or are accessory armours horribly, horribly
>> important?) I do quite well.

> I think it's just you, though they do help. :) Items (a wand for
> example) helps more.

Yep, good items help, but deep elf conjurers don't need to be
particularly lucky.

>> Ghoul: Yeeeowch. Mark, I fear your leet Crawl skills :)

Amen.

Darshan

Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> shouted:
> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
>> Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> growled:

>>> Deep Elf Wizard: Start off nicely (gotta love that big fat
>>> spellcasting skill) but I keep getting killed when I hit DL5
>>> with no sign of a source of Bolt of (Cold/Fire/Magma). (Yes, V.
>>> or S.M. would dish it out eventually, but...)

>> What's 'V.'? (I can guess that S.M. might mean Small Mammals,
>> but it doesn't look right, either.)

> Vehumet and Sif Muna.

Ah. That's completely outside my expectation. :)

Expecting books from gods that early is a little strange, too. (Ok,
a book from the game then or even three times that later would be
nice...)

>>> Deep Elf Conjurer: I die more often on DL1 due to ENOMANA and

>> What's 'ENOMANA'?

> No mana error.

What's the source for that expression?

>>> giant bats (do these *really* have to be three times as fast as
>>> the player?)

> They need to be fast, or what's the point?

Besides, when you step away instead of futilely trying to run after
them, they usually get right into position to get a whack over their
speedy heads. :)

--
Tina the Believer - the Champion of the Redeeming Nosy Glutton

Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
>Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> shouted:
>> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
>>> Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> growled:
>
>>> What's 'V.'? (I can guess that S.M. might mean Small Mammals,
>>> but it doesn't look right, either.)
>
>> Vehumet and Sif Muna.
>
>Ah. That's completely outside my expectation. :)

*blink* *blink*

>Expecting books from gods that early is a little strange, too. (Ok,
>a book from the game then or even three times that later would be
>nice...)

Yes, that's what the "but..." is about :)

Getting a book out of Vehumet or Sif Muna by DL15 isn't *that* hard,
though, unless you had to wait until DL7 for the Ecumenical Temple
stairs. There's an awful lot of stuff to kill between DL5 and DL15, and
Vehumet really, really likes it when you kill things. Not being
inclined to hoover every inch of the dungeon helps, too.

>>> What's 'ENOMANA'?
>
>> No mana error.
>
>What's the source for that expression?

It's one of the ways that Unix geeks write. Running out of any resource
is sometimes expressed as "ENO<foo>", derived from the standard error
code ENOSPC (no space on device). Hence, ENOMONEY (I am broke), ENOMANA
(I have no spell points), ENOTIME (I am too busy), etc.

>> They need to be fast, or what's the point?
>
>Besides, when you step away instead of futilely trying to run after
>them, they usually get right into position to get a whack over their
>speedy heads. :)

It goes like this:
I spend my last point of mana finishing off a hobgoblin. A giant bat
then comes round the corner. I run like hell. Sometimes, the giant bat
meanders away and I live. More often, it comes after me and nibbles me
to death, and because deep elf conjurers have pitiful melee skills I
can't even hit the damn thing.

Giant cockroaches are nearly as bad, because while they're slower than
bats (I estimate ~125% of player speed), they chase you a lot more
reliably and are a lot harder to kill. A giant bat usually goes down
to a single magic dart even from a beginning DE conjurer; I've seen a
giant cockroach soak four without ever going below "moderately wounded".

Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> moaned:
> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
>> Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> shouted:

>>> Vehumet and Sif Muna.
>>
>> Ah. That's completely outside my expectation. :)

> *blink* *blink*

In other words, that as explanation for the abbreviations wouldn't
have come to my mind in a million years. :)

>> Expecting books from gods that early is a little strange, too.
>> (Ok, a book from the game then or even three times that later
>> would be nice...)

> Yes, that's what the "but..." is about :)

> Getting a book out of Vehumet or Sif Muna by DL15 isn't *that*
> hard, though, unless you had to wait until DL7 for the Ecumenical
> Temple stairs. There's an awful lot of stuff to kill between DL5
> and DL15, and Vehumet really, really likes it when you kill
> things.

I miss some god appreciating my kills (my current Demigod, rather).
Did miss that with Sif Muna, in the SEEE game, too. The deaths seem
so wasted when no one cheers them. ;) (Of course my Demigod could
perform a little jig at each 'you kill the foo', as he's gathering
souls for his own use.)

> Not being inclined to hoover every inch of the dungeon helps, too.

I've got a truly bad memory, so every item that's not sorted could
be something I haven't seen yet. Thus I cart it around and dump it
into corners. (Also helps when I find that that empty wand of cold
or fire is better recharged instead of lying in a garbage heap. I
know which garbage heaps to look at to find the thing again.)

>>> No mana error.
>>
>> What's the source for that expression?

> It's one of the ways that Unix geeks write. Running out of any
> resource is sometimes expressed as "ENO<foo>", derived from the
> standard error code ENOSPC (no space on device).

So it's 'ENd Of'? ("Eh, NO" would sound more interesting.)

>>> They need to be fast, or what's the point?
>>
>> Besides, when you step away instead of futilely trying to run
>> after them, they usually get right into position to get a whack
>> over their speedy heads. :)

> It goes like this:
> I spend my last point of mana finishing off a hobgoblin. A giant
> bat then comes round the corner. I run like hell.

That's the mistake. The bat will hit you anyway, so just step back,
whack it, step back, whack it again...

> Sometimes, the giant bat meanders away and I live. More often, it
> comes after me and nibbles me to death, and because deep elf
> conjurers have pitiful melee skills I can't even hit the damn
> thing.

Better trying than falling into the shredder, no? You might get some
mana regenerated, too, while trying to fight it.

One thing I have to keep remembering is that faster typing doesn't
mean faster running, just faster getting killed. Chose your path,
step by step, try to get it into a corridor. You might even lose it
around a corner. Ideally, of course, a slower monster, like a rat,
will close up behind the bat in the corridor, so it can't flap away.
:)

> Giant cockroaches are nearly as bad, because while they're slower
> than bats (I estimate ~125% of player speed), they chase you a
> lot more reliably and are a lot harder to kill. A giant bat
> usually goes down to a single magic dart even from a beginning DE
> conjurer; I've seen a giant cockroach soak four without ever
> going below "moderately wounded".

True. Don't know what to do about that, except make the Rickety
Noble Gardener happy, for better success in attacks.

I think I have a new dislike for giant geckos, though (hob)goblins
aren't exactly nice, either. I think the only monster I like early
on is rats. :)

--
Tina the Cudgeler - the Favourite Plaything of the Rebuked New Goat

Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote in news:MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=
40fidonet_28a6f0fa@fidonet.org:

>>> What's the source for that expression?
>
>> It's one of the ways that Unix geeks write. Running out of any
>> resource is sometimes expressed as "ENO<foo>", derived from the
>> standard error code ENOSPC (no space on device).
>
> So it's 'ENd Of'? ("Eh, NO" would sound more interesting.)

It's Error: NO ...

On 21 Sep 2004 10:57:35 +0100 (BST), Martin Read
<mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>It goes like this:
>I spend my last point of mana finishing off a hobgoblin. A giant bat
>then comes round the corner. I run like hell. Sometimes, the giant bat
>meanders away and I live. More often, it comes after me and nibbles me
>to death, and because deep elf conjurers have pitiful melee skills I
>can't even hit the damn thing.

Have you tried darts? I know they aren't much as a weapon in the long
term, but they are useful for killing bats and finishing fleeing
monsters because you (a) ran out of spell points hurting it enough to
make it run, (b) are afraid of what will show up if you run out of
spell points finishing a fleeing monster, (c) are already Hungry and
want to conserve your only ration, or (d) have no other ranged attack
anyway.

Richard Daniel Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:
>On 21 Sep 2004 10:57:35 +0100 (BST), Martin Read
><mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>I spend my last point of mana finishing off a hobgoblin. A giant bat
>>then comes round the corner. I run like hell. Sometimes, the giant bat
>>meanders away and I live. More often, it comes after me and nibbles me
>>to death, and because deep elf conjurers have pitiful melee skills I
>>can't even hit the damn thing.
>
>Have you tried darts?

I'm often XL2 before I kill a dart-carrying kobold :)

In article <6Yx*Id6uq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Ghoul: Yeeeowch. Mark, I fear your leet Crawl skills :)

To be fair, I've only started two ghouls total, so I might just have had
good luck at the start with both of them. I do recall doing a *lot* of
running away with the one that eventually won, though. The gang of
gnolls on DL:3 caused major pain and anguish :(.

--
Mark Mackey
The Association for the Advancement of Dungeon Crawling