bizzaro duron 750!

G

I'm hoping someone in THF land would be kind enough to indicate why the H#LL my shiny new Duron 750 on an MSI KT7 pro2a multiplies BACKWARDS when I try to OC it. I have pencilled in the L1's using HB lead and ensuring none of the marks touch eachother, yet my system still freezes on even multiples and in the opposite direction on odds. For instance, 800 locks, as does 900, but 950 brings it to 550mhz! I have tried 133mhz fsb, 100mhz fsb, plenty of cooling, nada. Tried cas2 and cas3, wtf? Someone please give me a hand here...

Specs:

Amd Duron 750mhz
MSI KT7 PRO2a
Guillemont 3D Prophet 32mb
256mb 133mhz PNY (hmm...)
30GB ATA100 Maxtor 7200rpm
Teac CDRW 8x8x32
ZIP 100 atapi/ide
Windows ME (it was free...)

Thanks!

G

Are you sure you did the right thing with the pencil? Maybe you didn't press hard enough?

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better ~

G

Unfortunately, the MSI board I have won't go below 7.5. Interesting thought though :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
All I can suggest then are the same old things like flash the BIOS and redraw your lines ... maybe using a different pencil.

If it's still doing it, then maybe AMD has decided to implement a strange tactic to discourage overclockers. **shrug** That'd be funny if it were the case. I doubt it though. (Mostly because I doubt AMD really cares.)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm 99% sure it's because you didn't connect the L1s properly. I have a Tbird 900 and when I originally did mine, 9.5x, 10x, and 10.5x worked fine, but 11x brought me down to 9 or something, and 11.5x got me 9.5, 12 got me 10....

Why do I even try?

G

Yeah, I have to agree. When the pencil lines aren't deep enough or touch each other even a little, T-birds and Durons do some REALLY weird things. I would erase them and start over. Use a thin mechanical pencil lead and a magnifying glass so that you can be precise and see what you are doing. Good Luck!