installing CPU

fvrufd2u

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2001
I am trying to upgrade my 433 celeron processor. When I insert the P3 866 PGA chip and turn on the computer nothing happens. I downloaded the latest bios upgrades with no luck. My motherboard (soyo 7VCA) manuals says to just insert the chip and turn the computer on. What am I doing wrong? My power supply is 200W is this a possible problem?
Could the chip be faulty?

Dustin

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I was thinking about voltage differences myself. Maybe the chip just isn't getting enough juice. But FSB and multiplier are also good points.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

This may be another stupid question to your dilemna, did you install a heatsink and fan on the CPU, as you did not mention that? If so, nevermind that. The 200W power supply should not be an issue, but if it is a cheap power supply, than most likely it does not even put out the current it is rated for.

alphateam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you simply just pulled your old processer and dropped the new one in. I'm about 99% sure that its the multiplier and the bus speed. For that processer I don't know what the particular setting, but I would hope some guru from the board would help the guy out.

----
Sorry I missed church, I've been busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
try setting voltages to Auto in the BIOS, bus speed and multiplier may be set by jumpers but that ok, your p3 will work @433 (its multiplier might be locked @6.5)

there should not be any other problem. btw did you check your p3 866???

girish

fvrufd2u

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2001
Thanks for the responses. I did install a heatsink fan, I tried the BIOS reset jumper. My motherboard has a jumperless BIOS. SO I put in my old celeron (so I could get the computer to boot) and went into the BIOS and set the voltage to normal and the bus to 133/33 and multiplier to 6.5. Then turned off the computer and put my new chip in and tried to boot. No luck. I probably should have taken it to a technician in the first place, but I'm too cheap. Any other ideas? Thanks again for all the feedback.

Dustin