Sign in with
Your question

IBM model M / Other mechanical keyboards.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 2, 2012 5:45:32 PM

Hello, I am looking for a new keyboard for gaming and general typing. I was wondering how well of a keyboard The IBM model M was. Also tell me if you think there is a better mechanical keyboard that is either new or old. Also the keyboard doesn't have to have macros if its new. Thank you.
http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/bou...

P.S how well of replication does UNICOMP do of the model M?
August 5, 2012 1:54:33 AM

It seems that the IBM Model M keyboard is the defacto standard that many mechanical keyboards are compared to.

I personally do not own a mechanical keyboard, but I have been thinking about purchasing a Das Keyboard.
m
l
August 6, 2012 12:07:37 PM

i have owned 2 model m keyboards.

i will say that no keyboard today even comes close to how well built these things are. they are as solid as a rock on your desk and although very loud have perfect tactile feedback.

the one glaring issue with them is that they only support 2 key roll over or at least this is what a forum devoted to mechanical keyboards states.

i've had issues when typing on an older one (1985) which i fixed up where keypresses were missed. i'm not sure if it was because of 2kro or because i repaired some circuits myself. my second one (1998 i believe) had the same issue.

i'm currently in the market for a new mechanical keyboard and if unicomp made one with 6kro or better it would be the ideal choice. however, i find myself looking more at das keyboards, deck keyboards and wasd keyboards currently.

the unicomp model m keyboard is a cheaper manufactured product than the original. some parts have been changed slightly and in general it is not as heavily built. overall i would say it is okay though. the old keycaps from the originals fit. i think they come with molded keys which do not have keycaps.

if you are interested i believe i still have 1 or two sets of ibm keys laying around which i've been thinking of listing on ebay.
m
l
!