[crawl] YAN(?)I: sniping

Ru

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

i was meditating on the fact that bows (and in fact missile weapons in
general) have never seemed very effective to me in the lopng term, and i
wonder if there's a case for a new skill: sniping.

it would probably have to be scaled down from stabbing because of the
relative greater ease of not having to go right up to the monster.

whaddayareckon?

--
ru

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

ru .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> i was meditating on the fact that bows (and in fact missile weapons in
> general) have never seemed very effective to me in the lopng term, and i
> wonder if there's a case for a new skill: sniping.
>
> it would probably have to be scaled down from stabbing because of the
> relative greater ease of not having to go right up to the monster.
>
> whaddayareckon?

IMO ranged weapons are a little too weak in Crawl, except crossbow maybe,
so there is no need for a new skill, just to enhance existing ones a
little. Especially GnHu with sling could be better - it's such a nifty
character and always missing firepower. Some critical shots available to
hunters could be a nice idea, like in Fallout: "you shot the cyclope in the
eye for triple damage!", and such.

--
Loonie