Sign in with
Your question

Is this possible? 1 PC, 2 Inputs, 2 Gamers?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2013 6:59:54 AM

Hello everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to review my thread!

Here's my inquiry:

Running on one computer (with plenty enough power to run two instances of the game, being SMITE), is it possible for me to devise a workaround/method that would allow me to use two mice, two keyboards, and two sessions of the game to allow for me and another person to play each instance of the game with their respective inputs?

I'm open to any ideas, as we cannot afford another computer! :( 

Thanks!!

-Andy

EDIT: So going off manofchalk's advice, to more accurately describe what I am seeking is Dual OS, Dual Inputs, and how to achieve such a setup.

Thanks again!

More about : inputs gamers

January 9, 2013 7:13:13 AM

Which a quick search it looks like it's f2p, so as long as it allows you to open up 2 of them thats fine. Which is really easy to check try start two of them up right now lol.

With that said with a quick google search the only thing I could come up with is a program called teamplayer. I have never used it, will not vouch for it, but it looks possible. It allows you to have two keyboards/mouse doing their own thing. So if that would end up working or not I don't know.

But it's worth a shot the program is just a trial though (limited up to 3 times).

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 7:14:02 AM

I know it is possible, but have no idea how to set it up.

The name of what your asking has completely escaped me, but it is possible to run multiple OS' off the one computer and have each OS to be linked to individual monitors and input means.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 7:14:47 AM

It's possible if one player is on an xbox / other pc gaming controller.

That'd be the easiest way to do it.
m
l
January 9, 2013 7:31:46 AM

manofchalk said:
I know it is possible, but have no idea how to set it up.

The name of what your asking has completely escaped me, but it is possible to run multiple OS' off the one computer and have each OS to be linked to individual monitors and input means.

This is exactly what I would like to learn how to do, given the fact that SMITE only allows one session process to be present at any given time.

I will try to keep looking on my own, but if anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it! :hello: 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:28:53 AM

Sorry I cant be of any more help, cant for the life of me remember what its called nor can I fnd the thread where I first learnt of it. For some reason "work-chair" or "station" keeps coming to mind, but again still cant think of what it was beyond that.

Maybe look into more business oriented sites, as I remember the person enquiring about it was using it for a call center or something along those lines.
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:48:17 AM

are you talking about vm (virtual machine) that's the only thing I can think of that allows more then one OS to operate at once as it operates in it's on inclosed space. Not sure if it would do what you're suggesting though, I played with it a bit here and there, but not to much.
m
l
January 9, 2013 5:56:25 PM

Still seeking the optimal solution, and in regards to Kingnoobe: yes I believe something in the vm realm is in order. The biggest hurdle is how to assign inputs to their respective OS (One keyboard for the main OS, one keyboard interacts directly with the VM, simultaneously)

Thanks for the responses!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 6:02:45 PM

roflmywofl said:
Still seeking the optimal solution, and in regards to Kingnoobe: yes I believe something in the vm realm is in order. The biggest hurdle is how to assign inputs to their respective OS (One keyboard for the main OS, one keyboard interacts directly with the VM, simultaneously)

Thanks for the responses!

You may have to go as far as getting a major version of VMWare Workstation in order to do what you are wanting. Virtualbox will not do keyboard/mouse assignments for separate users (I use it all the time for my test bed machines) but I remember seeing a couple of solutions like that through VMWare.

You can find the latest version HERE .
m
l
September 12, 2013 6:25:53 PM

I was wondering this too.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2013 8:14:05 PM

For those of you who find this thread and are curious, a while after I posted here, I bought a licence to SoftXPand.

It's not perfect. It has a lot of bugs, and is such a pain to NOT use that I have windows 7 on a separate partition now that I only use for single computer LAN games.

That being said, for what it's designed for, it's wonderful. I boot up windows 7, and it gives me three login screens that work with my three mice and keyboard setups. Games run just fine - any game that I would really want to play at a LAN will run just fine, with the exception of very intense starcraft II games. (simply because that's a heck of a lot of processing to ask of it.)

Basically think of it this way - if you can run a game at ~190-200 fps with the details you want, it'll run at 60fps on three screens with softxpand just fine.
m
l
September 12, 2013 8:38:32 PM

DarkSable said:
For those of you who find this thread and are curious, a while after I posted here, I bought a licence to SoftXPand.

It's not perfect. It has a lot of bugs, and is such a pain to NOT use that I have windows 7 on a separate partition now that I only use for single computer LAN games.

That being said, for what it's designed for, it's wonderful. I boot up windows 7, and it gives me three login screens that work with my three mice and keyboard setups. Games run just fine - any game that I would really want to play at a LAN will run just fine, with the exception of very intense starcraft II games. (simply because that's a heck of a lot of processing to ask of it.)

Basically think of it this way - if you can run a game at ~190-200 fps with the details you want, it'll run at 60fps on three screens with softxpand just fine.

How does GTA IV play with that?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2013 8:41:43 PM

space1 said:

I don't play GTA, but every racing game I've played runs amazingly.

m
l
September 12, 2013 8:48:26 PM

DarkSable said:
space1 said:

I don't play GTA, but every racing game I've played runs amazingly.

Well my rig is nowhere near as good as your's but how do you think it would handle 2 Borderlands 2's or Civ 5 with only 2 instead of 3?
I normally can max BL2 with 60-90 fps at my res and Civ 5 s about the same.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2013 9:06:49 PM

space1 said:
Well my rig is nowhere near as good as your's but how do you think it would handle 2 Borderlands 2's or Civ 5 with only 2 instead of 3?

Borderlands you'll be fine, Civ 5 will be a little CPU-intensive, but why would you even want to play it like that instead of just hotseat?

m
l
September 12, 2013 9:19:36 PM

DarkSable said:
space1 said:

Borderlands you'll be fine, Civ 5 will be a little CPU-intensive, but why would you even want to play it like that instead of just hotseat?

Hotseat?
Never tried it. :lol: 

Is that where the players switch off for turns?
Hmm, thanks for the help man!!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2013 11:16:53 PM

space1 said:

Hotseat?

Exactly. It's one of the best ways to play Civ. (Also, if you haven't checked it out, buy Civ III for $5. I consider it way better than the later two games in the series, and still spend hours playing it.)

m
l
September 12, 2013 11:45:23 PM

DarkSable said:
space1 said:

Hotseat?

Exactly. It's one of the best ways to play Civ. (Also, if you haven't checked it out, buy Civ III for $5. I consider it way better than the later two games in the series, and still spend hours playing it.)

Sure thing man!
I am guessing you got it off steam?
You should add me on there. :lol: 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2013 11:51:46 PM

You sure are getting the full use out of your Prodigy build arent you DarkSable :lol: 
Custom water, a sound card in addition to a graphics card in an ITX build (only one PCI-e slot for those wondering) and now its an instant LAN party. Where is that build log! (or at least pics of it :D ).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2013 12:04:48 AM

manofchalk said:
You sure are getting the full use out of your Prodigy build arent you DarkSable :lol: 
Custom water, a sound card in addition to a graphics card in an ITX build (only one PCI-e slot for those wondering) and now its an instant LAN party. Where is that build log! (or at least pics of it :D ).

Haha, I have this ridiculously powerful thing... and I use it to play a game that came out in 2001. xP
Well, uhm... I have pics of what it's misbehaving with, right now..Blech.

Space, I would, but I have a thing about multiplayer gaming - it's lan or nothing for me, I'm afraid.
m
l
September 13, 2013 12:33:42 AM

well i resurrected a dead thread lol
m
l
!