Sign in with
Your question

k6-2 300

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2001 2:53:11 PM

I have an old FIC VA-503+ motherboard with the K6-2 300MHz processor. Wanted a little more speed since I am contemplating a DSL connection, but my board is one of the earlier ones that will not support a K6-2 500MHz. Could I overclock this 300 processor?

More about : 300

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2001 4:16:07 PM

You can, but probably not very far. Get the K6-2 550 and set it to 100MHz FSB and 2x, because it will be translated as 6x by the CPU and give you 600. I believe the 550 used a 2.1v core, it shold run at 2.2v fine, but you should use an adequate fan. I like the OEM Intel Oversized fan used with the PIII 933 and available for $10 at several cooling stores. In order to use that fan on a K6 series you should disgaurd the original clip and use a standard (old style) Pentium clip.
If the 550 won't work at 600, you can back the bus speed down to 95MHz and get 570 out of it.

Suicide is painless...........
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2001 4:53:21 PM

Your board i am positive will handle 500 and 550

Just your manual says it cant cause at the time it wasnt out then.
I had a k6-2 350 and max it said was 400 Mhz but i bought a 550 and it worked fine, you just have to set the voltage

believe me , your board can handle all k6-2'3 and 3's
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2001 5:21:39 PM

Retreived the folowing from FIC website FAQ, unfortunately, my board's ECN number is E:1001

I put a K6-2 500MHz in it, but lost mouse and locked the system up.

Q19 How can I distinguish the VA-503+ 1.2A boards that can support the complete line of K6, K6-2, and K6-III CPU's? top

A There are 3 ways to identify the VA-503+ 1.2A that supports the new K6-2 and K6-III CPU's, except K6-2/533MHz.

Look for a white sticker along the edge of the board that has "4503" printed on it. This is the ECN sticker.
Look for a gray sticker outside of the box that display "E:4503". This is also the ECN munber.
On future boards, look for a sticker that states, "EO037" on the board or outside the box.
Only boards with these stickers are certified by AMD
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2001 9:20:13 PM

How gullable are you?
The 2x=6x trick works for ALL motherboards that support dual-voltage processors. If FIC states that their board will not support higher than 400MHz, they are refering to the jumpers on the motherboard or the voltage levels. Screw that. If it is due to the lack of support of low enough voltage, cheat a little and use a slightly higher voltage. If it is due to lack of function when jupered at higher-than 4x100, set it to 2x100 and let the processor itself interpret it as 6x. If the processor won't run at 600, try 95MHz FSB, then 83MHZ FSB. That is why I suggested the 550-the need to handle more speed.
If you can't make it work using any method, you are doing something wrong. I have had Intel motherboards that only support Intel processors up to 233 work using this method (4x66=400)!
AMD processors over 300MHz require the AMD update if your using Win95. Otherwise, your system will lock up (sound familiar?).

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2001 9:22:37 PM

Obviously, I don't understand all I know about this, but I'm trying. Thanks for your input and I'll try to let you know how it turns out.

Incidentally, I am using Win98 SE.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 27, 2001 4:19:01 AM

Sorry about that, I should have seen your stranger title and went a little easier on you. As I outlined, there are only really two reasons that a Motherboard (any motherboard) that supports the k6-2 would only officially support processors at or below a certain speed, and both can be remedied.
1. If the faster processor requires a lower voltage than the motherboard is capable of providing, the lower voltage processor will not be "officially" supported. The fix for this is to use a slightly higher voltage than specified, and a better heatsink.
2. The multipliers for the faster processor may not be capable of providing the adequate speed. This can be rectified by the processor itself, as all k6-2's 350 and over use a core that interprets 2x on the motherboard to mean 6x. So if the board is set at 2x66 (133), the processor interprets this as 6x66 (400). While BIOS will read the processor as 133, a testing program will show that the processor is operating at the higher frequency. The 2x=6x trick works at any bus speed (66FSB gives you 400, 75 gives you 450, 83 gives you 500, 95 gives you 570, 100 gives you 600). Since the k6-2 550 will usually overclock to 600, this would be my recommendation.
If you were experiencing lockups with a previous processor, it may have been a heat problem-get a better heatsink/fan.
IF you are using the k6-2 300/66 instead of the 300/100, you may be experiencing a memory problem. You need good PC100 for any of these suggestions. If you are using PC66 or EDO, the fastest you can go without buying new memory is 400, using the 2x=6x trick as described, at 66MHz system bus.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2001 1:45:06 AM

Abuse me if you wish, just keep giving this great info and explanations. Have been to AMD website and am confused as to what I am looking for as far as an AMD update for my 500 processor. Help?
The FIC VA503+ has all kinds of jumpers for overclocking. I can adjust voltage from 2.0 up to3.2 by tenths. Four supported bus speeds, 100, 83, 75 and 66. Freq Ratio adjusts by .5 increments from 2X to 5.5X! Even the DIMM Freq can be set according to the Bus. Not bad for a board made in '98, Yes?
When I bought the processor, the only thing they had was the 500, so that is what I took home.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2001 2:32:46 AM

Lets see, you may need the latest bios to support the higher speed. Otherwise, it should work. Win98SE does not require the patch, only Win95. As previously mentioned, your lockup may have been caused by heat. You must be sure that the board is jumpered for the type of memory you are using (jumpers are different for Simms and Dimms). You must make sure your memory is 8ns or faster. That should cover it.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2001 10:23:19 PM

Thx much. You've been a great help. Friday will be the day I make the switch. I'll have plenty of time then. (My day off)

I have told everyone I know what a great site this is and how helpful all of you are.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2001 11:20:05 AM

Success! Limited, but still a success. I didn't increase the voltage that was required for the k6-2 500 (2.2) I played with the Freq and clock speed and ram settings. I managed to get it up and running at 531 (that's what it says on boot) This was the best I could do at this time, but I am happy with this for now. I realize that I am hampered by my ram (I believe it is 10ns, at least the numbers on the chips end in 10) and the fact that I am still running in an AT case with AT power supply. The AT power supply causes probs with Win98 anyway. Since I put the 500 in, each time I boot, it goes to Safe Mode, but if I restart from there, it goes right into Win98. Guess I'll live with that.
Thanks for everything.
!