Graphics card or genera pc problem??

Tags:
  • Thunder
  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:34:24 AM

Hello,
there was a lot of thunder last night. I think lightening struck close by and the screen flickered. Its now displaying a strong purple color and i can barely see..please help me.

More about : graphics card genera problem

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 8:48:01 AM

Does it have on board graphics or do you have another video card or monitor you can try?
-Bruce
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:09:16 AM

Im a noob by the way so ya. Okay its Graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GT520. 1 GB DDR3...Ive tried a different monitor on it but its still pink
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 9, 2013 9:13:09 AM

i mean purple...can a lightening strike close by really damage a graphics card or visual system of any sort?? anyway im also thinking maybe the graphics card driver automatically updated? or WINDOWS 7? I dont know...thanks for your feedback by the way..im panicking.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:50:59 AM

Update,I have no different graphics card i can try..and the PC came with the Nvidia on board as a promotion of sorts...Im scared to remove it..should i still do it?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 11:31:46 AM

If there was a power surge from the strike, then yes, some damage may have resulted. The only way to be sure will be to test your card in another system, or borrow a card to test in your system.
m
l
January 9, 2013 1:26:36 PM

Herr_Koos said:
If there was a power surge from the strike, then yes, some damage may have resulted. The only way to be sure will be to test your card in another system, or borrow a card to test in your system.

is it possible to try it without the graphics card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 1:28:14 PM

Yes if it has onboard graphics - if that works it will be bad news for your video card.
-Bruce
m
l
January 9, 2013 1:31:27 PM

Before i remove the gfx card, all my high resolution games are running at full power...but still purple color is there...im just scared of losing this card lol :(  best which money can buy in this country...Zambia..cost me $600 USD
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 5:46:55 PM

Taking the card our carefully will not cause damage. If you are unsure, google some how-to steps.
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 5:52:25 PM

I see you tried a different monitor on the card....Did you use the original cable (however you have it connected) or did you use a completely different one? You'd be surprised the times I have ran across a supposed graphics card problem and it was either a loose or defective cable instead.

If it's VGA or DVI, unplug it all the way and then plug it back in fully. Does the issue continue?

Boot the computer into the BIOS, usually by pressing F2 or ESC as the computer is booting, and see if the issue is present there. If not, it's likely that it's only the graphics driver that has been hosed by the power surge.
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:27:20 PM

hedwar2011 said:
I see you tried a different monitor on the card....Did you use the original cable (however you have it connected) or did you use a completely different one? You'd be surprised the times I have ran across a supposed graphics card problem and it was either a loose or defective cable instead.

If it's VGA or DVI, unplug it all the way and then plug it back in fully. Does the issue continue?

Boot the computer into the BIOS, usually by pressing F2 or ESC as the computer is booting, and see if the issue is present there. If not, it's likely that it's only the graphics driver that has been hosed by the power surge.

thanks a lot you guys i think it may be my DVI-VGA adapter..been trying all your solutions and hope this is the only problem...I'll try an HDMI screen and if it works then I've saved my gfx card..otherwise well i hope I can find a decent gfx card 1000 USD,can anyone help me find one,otherwise please put this as solved fine thanx
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:30:41 PM

Best answer selected by MasonGeorge501.
m
l