[YAVP] Jean, the Mummy Necromancer, gets a full set of run..

Last response: in Video Games
October 8, 2004 1:25:20 AM

Well, it's all in the title... So far, my only win had been with a
Nemelex-worshipping Hill Dwarf Gladiator (Axes+Evocations killing machine)
who never set foot in Hell or Pandemonium. (I'd previously lost a very
promising MeTr to the Serpent of Hell on Geh:7, so I was somewhat wary of
Hell). So this time I decided to go for an uber-spellcaster. I didn't
really intend to go for a full set of runes when I started the game, but
I came across a discussion of Pandemonium tactics in this group about when
I was finishing the Vaults and I decided to give it a try.

The early stages of the game were quite difficult, until I reached the
Temple and annoyed Sif Muna into giving me a copy of about every spellbook in
the game; from then on Sublimation of Blood, Recall and Controlled Blink
made the game much more manageable (finding a couple of good items,
including a ring of regeneration - a must-have for a mummy - helped too, of
course). Hell was every bit as nasty as I recalled (had a really close call
in Dis when an Executioner appeared in the corridor behind me just as I was
getting ready to retreat), and Pandemonium lived up to its reputation:
plenty of danger, plenty of XP, plenty of stuff (I dare not imagine what it
must be like when you're not Torment-resistant).

Of course, the RNG displayed its usual sense of humour by making most
really good items either weapons, heavy armour or rings (I could have use a
couple of extra hands by the end of the game). I couldn't even get full
resistance to fire and cold by the end of the game; on the other hand, my
EV and stats (normally one of the weakest spots of mummies) were pretty
good.

1. 4371915 Jean the Mummy Necromancer (level 27, 206/206 HPs)
Escaped with the Orb!

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

You float upwards... And bob straight up to the ceiling!
You start to feel a little slower.
You feel sluggish.
You are starting to lose your buoyancy!
There is a stone staircase leading upwards here.
Char dumped successfully.
Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?
[Y]es or [N]o only, please.
Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?
You have escaped!

#......###.........#
#......#...........#
##### #......###...%.....#
.....###### #........#.........###
..........###......#.#............
%!..............#.#.#.......#####
..........#........#.#.###.###
........#.#.########.#.###.######
.....##.#.#......@..............#
######.#.########......#.).....#
................................##
######.#.##............#.........
........................#.........
######.#.##.......######...#.....
#.# #.#..........#### #...###...
#.####.###...........###...# #...
........# #.##.##......##...# #...

Jean the Mummy of Death (Mummy)
(Level 27 Necromancer)

Play time: 2 days, 02:58:13 Number of turns: 930492
>> Almost a full million turns - mummies sure spend a long time waiting
>> (esp. when they have 10+ points of intelligence to regain after
>> battling a horde of neqoxecs.)

Experience : 27/5200702
Strength 15 Dexterity 13 Intelligence 28
>> Mummies get average stats at the beginning and no increases apart from
>> the customary ones on levels 3-6-9-12-15-18-21-24-27 - these do not look
>> impressive for a winner, but my equipment actually boosts them quite a
>> lot.

Hit Points : 206 Magic Points : 48
>> Had only 120 HP before I tackled Pandemonium

AC : 18 Evasion : 33 Shield : 0
>> I like that EV. I could actually take an Executioner in hand-to-hand
>> combat by the end of the game

GP : 17628
>> I pondered scumming Pandemonium until I could get to 20000, but decided
>> against it.

You escaped.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is exalted by your worship.
>> Given the number of turns I spent praying and casting spells just to
>> please him/her, that's hardly surprising.
You are not hungry.
>> No I'm not. :)

Inventory:
Hand weapons
f - the -5,-5 spear of Ash (393 gold)
A long stick with a pointy blade on one end, to be held or thrown.
Damage rating: 5
Accuracy rating: +3
Base attack delay: 130%%
It affects your AC (-3).
It affects your strength (+3).
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It protects you from magic.
It lets you turn invisible.
This weapon is better for the dexterous.
It can be used with one hand, or more effectively with two (i.e. when not
using a shield).
It falls into the 'pole-arms' category.
It weighs around 5.0 aum.
>> One of the best bad weapons I ever found.

o - the +7,+3 hand axe of Liqogeqagimyci (636 gold)
An small axe designed for either hand combat or throwing.
Damage rating: 7
Accuracy rating: +2
Base attack delay: 130%%
It affects your AC (+2).
It affects your evasion (-2).
It affects your strength (+3).
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It affects your dexterity (+3).
It makes you susceptible to cold.
This weapon is better for the strong.
It is a one handed weapon.
It falls into the 'axes' category.
It weighs around 11.0 aum.

u - the +4,+4 Staff of Dispater (1200 gold)
This legendary item can unleash the fury of Hell.
Damage rating: 7
Accuracy rating: +6
Base attack delay: 120%%
It is a two handed weapon.
It falls into the 'staves' category.
It weighs around 13.0 aum.

v - the +6,+6 Sword of Cerebov (2000 gold)
Eerie flames cover its twisted blade.
Damage rating: 16
Accuracy rating: -1
Base attack delay: 170%%
It is a two handed weapon.
It falls into the 'long swords' category.
It weighs around 25.0 aum.

y - the +7,+7 Sceptre of Asmodeus (1500 gold)
It carries some of the powers of the arch-fiend Asmodeus.
Damage rating: 7
Accuracy rating: +6
Base attack delay: 120%%
It is a two handed weapon.
It falls into the 'staves' category.
It weighs around 13.0 aum.
>> I actually used this to train Fighting before I found a decent
>> quarterstaff.

W - the -3,+0 scythe of Jyw C H (464 gold)
A farm implement, usually unsuited to combat.
Damage rating: 14
Accuracy rating: -4
Base attack delay: 220%%
It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
It affects your evasion (+1).
It protects you from cold.
It protects you from magic.
It lets you turn invisible.
It lets you go berserk.
It is a two handed weapon.
It falls into the 'pole-arms' category.
It weighs around 23.0 aum.

Y - the +0,+10 quarterstaff "Ifylipo" (weapon) (576 gold)
A sturdy wooden pole.
Damage rating: 7
Accuracy rating: +6
Base attack delay: 120%%
It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
It protects you from cold.
It speeds your metabolism.
It is a two handed weapon.
It falls into the 'staves' category.
It weighs around 13.0 aum.
>> Found on my last trip to Pandemonium. My main weapon when I wasn't using
>> a staff of death or a staff of conjuration - I hardly needed them by the
>> end of the game

Z - the -1,-2 battleaxe of Failure (326 gold)
A large axe with a double-headed blade.
Damage rating: 17
Accuracy rating: -2
Base attack delay: 180%%
It insulates you from electricity.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It enhances your eyesight.
It glows with mutagenic radiation.
This weapon is best used by the strong.
It is a two handed weapon.
It falls into the 'axes' category.
It weighs around 20.0 aum.
>> I like the name :)

Armour
e - a +2 pair of gloves of strength (worn) (201 gold)
A pair of gloves.
Armour rating: 1
Evasion modifier: +0
It increases the physical power of its wearer (+3 to strength).
It weighs around 2.0 aum.
>> Bought in a shop on D:9. Never found anything better.

g - the +3 leather armour of the Guardian (worn) (407 gold)
A suit made of hardened leather.
Armour rating: 2
Evasion modifier: -1
It affects your evasion (+6).
It affects your intelligence (+2).
It affects your dexterity (-3).
It weighs around 15.0 aum.
>> From the Elven Halls loot, IIRC

t - the +2 helmet of Nonsense (worn) (449 gold)
A piece of metal headgear.
Armour rating: 1
Evasion modifier: +0
It affects your dexterity (+2).
It protects you from magic.
It enhances your eyesight.
It weighs around 8.0 aum.

B - a +2 pair of elven boots of stealth (worn) (214 gold)
A pair of sturdy boots.
Armour rating: 1
Evasion modifier: +0
It enhances the stealth of its wearer.
It is well-crafted and unobstructive, and helps its wearer avoid being
noticed.
It weighs around 4.0 aum.
>> Again, these were the best boots I found in the whole game

H - a -1 robe of the Archmagi (94 gold)
A cloth robe.
Armour rating: 1
Evasion modifier: +0
It greatly increases the power of its wearer's magical spells, but is only
intended for those who have very little left to learn.
It weighs around 6.0 aum.
>> Only time I used this was to get a decent chance of casting Control
>> Teleport in the Slime Pits

N - the +3 cloak of Integrity (worn) (301 gold)
A cloth cloak.
Armour rating: 1
Evasion modifier: +0
It weighs around 2.0 aum.
>> No better cloak found.

R - the +2 cap of Xodifif (463 gold)
A cloth or leather cap.
Armour rating: 0
Evasion modifier: +0
It affects your intelligence (+2).
It affects your accuracy (+2).
It protects you from poison.
It makes you much less stealthy.
It weighs around 8.0 aum.

Magical devices
c - a wand of healing (9) (102 gold)
x - a wand of disintegration (7) (135 gold)
P - a wand of fireball (9) (195 gold)
S - a wand of hasting (23) (252 gold)
X - a wand of teleportation (22) (162 gold)

Jewellery
j - a ring of teleport control (294 gold)
This ring allows its wearer to control the destination of any
teleportation, although without perfect accuracy. Trying to teleport into
a solid object will result in a random teleportation, at least in the case
of a normal teleportation. Also be wary that controlled teleports will
contaminate the subject with residual magical energy.
It weighs around 1.0 aum.

p - the ring of Space (1050 gold)
This powerful ring can be activated to hide its wearer from the view of
others, but increases the speed of his or her metabolism greatly while
doing so.
It affects your evasion (+3).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (-3).
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from magic.
It weighs around 1.0 aum.
>> I wore this for a long time. Found in Tartarus, IIRC.

q - the ring of Limitation (798 gold)
This wonderful ring greatly increases the recuperative powers of its
wearer, but also considerably speeds his or her metabolism.
It affects your accuracy (+2).
It protects you from fire.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It lets you levitate.
It weighs around 1.0 aum.
>> For when I needed regeneration

r - the ring of Joy (448 gold)
This ring provides energy to its wearer, so that they need eat less often.
It affects your AC (+3).
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It enhances your eyesight.
It weighs around 1.0 aum.
>> Most of my non-mummy characters would have killed for this one.

C - the ring of Kyrclzxaaa (left hand) (805 gold)
This ring increases or decreases the mental ability of its wearer,
depending on the degree to which it has been enchanted.
It affects your intelligence (+4).
It affects your evasion (+3).
It affects your dexterity (+3).
It protects you from magic.
It lets you turn invisible.
It weighs around 1.0 aum.

J - the ring of Integrity (right hand) (665 gold)
This ring allows its wearer to hover above the floor.
It affects your evasion (+5).
It affects your strength (+3).
It affects your intelligence (+2).
It protects you from fire.
It weighs around 1.0 aum.
>> Now aren't these nice ? ;)

L - the amulet "Picibyxkeryt" (around neck) (245 gold)
This amulet makes its wearer less accurate in hand combat.
It insulates you from electricity.
It weighs around 1.0 aum.
>> The RNG was short on amulets too. At least the shock-res gave me greater
>> freedom in my choice of rings.

Q - the ring of Conservation (203 gold)
This accursed ring causes its wearer to hunger considerably more quickly.
It affects your accuracy (+4).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
It protects you from magic.
It enhances your eyesight.
It glows with mutagenic radiation.
It weighs around 1.0 aum.

T - the ring of the Guardian (518 gold)
This ring provides energy to its wearer, so that they need eat less often.
It affects your evasion (+7).
It affects your strength (+3).
It weighs around 1.0 aum.

Books
l - a Necronomicon (1150 gold)
m - a tome of Destruction (1650 gold)
V - a book of Annihilations (1150 gold)
>> Plus probably at least 3 copies of every book in the game...

Magical staves
a - a staff of death (250 gold)
>> HUGE surge of power. I like that. :)
b - a staff of conjuration (250 gold)
d - a staff of wizardry (250 gold)

Orbs of Power
h - the Orb of Zot (250000 gold)

Miscellaneous
i - a bone rune of Zot (10000 gold)
k - an iron rune of Zot (10000 gold)
n - an icy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
s - a demonic rune of Zot (10000 gold)
w - an obsidian rune of Zot (10000 gold)
z - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> Not the hardest to get, but definitely the most boring.
A - a fiery rune of Zot (10000 gold)
D - a glowing rune of Zot (10000 gold)
E - a dark rune of Zot (10000 gold)
F - the horn of Geryon (5000 gold)
G - a golden rune of Zot (10000 gold)
I - a slimy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> Lucky this was generated.
K - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
M - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)
O - a serpentine rune of Zot (10000 gold)
U - a magical rune of Zot (10000 gold)

You have 2 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 16 Fighting
>> Was 0 before I went into Pandemonium. Those major demons sure yield a
>> lot of XP.
- Level 13 Staves
>> And greyed out the whole time, too.
+ Level 5 Armour
>> Wore a randart +5 ring mail for quite some time
+ Level 18 Dodging
+ Level 7 Stealth
+ Level 2 Stabbing
+ Level 14 Traps & Doors
>> Mostly from a manual, although I gained a few levels just by searching
>> for secret doors in the Pandemonium vaults.

* Level 27 Spellcasting
* Level 27 Conjurations
+ Level 8 Enchantments
+ Level 17 Summonings
* Level 27 Necromancy
+ Level 12 Translocations
+ Level 2 Transmigration
+ Level 13 Divinations
- Level 1 Air Magic
>> From a LOT of castings of Swiftness/Levitation in the Abyss
* Level 27 Earth Magic
+ Level 1 Evocations
>> Can't say how I got this...

You cannot memorise any spells.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Pain Necromancy Perfect 1
b - Vampiric Draining Necromancy Perfect 3
>> A life-saver in the early game
c - Iskenderun's Mystic Blast Conjuration Perfect 4
d - Dispel Undead Necromancy Perfect 4
>> Kicks Ancient Lich ass.
e - Controlled Blink Translocation Excellent 4
>> Can't recall how many times this saved my life
f - Sublimation of Blood Necromancy Perfect 2
>> That, too. Though it almost killed me a couple of times as well.
g - Recall Translocation/Summoning Perfect 3
>> Zombies are so awfully slooooow...
h - Abjuration Summoning Perfect 3
>> Lots of opportunities to use this in Pandemonium
i - Lehudib's Crystal Spear Earth/Conjuration Excellent 8
>> This rocks.
j - Bolt of Draining Conjuration/Necromancy Perfect 6
>> Useless for demons and the undead, but for anything else...
k - Summon Elemental Summoning Perfect 4
>> Or how to get pets in Hell and Pandemonium
l - Tomb of Doroklohe Earth/Conjuration Excellent 7
>> Another life-saving spell, used more often
m - Banishment Translocation Excellent 5
>> And the last of the life-savers, for really extreme situations.
n - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
o - Detect Creatures Divination Perfect 2
>> Invaluable if you don't want to waste too much time in Pandemonium
p - Levitation Air/Enchantment Excellent 2
q - Identify Divination Great 6
r - Death Channel Necromancy Perfect 9
>> My main weapon for the Vaults, besides Bolt of Draining. Memorized again
>> for Zot, because I like spectral gold dragons. :)
s - Shadow Creatures Summoning Excellent 5
>> Wanted to know what kind of things this would summon in Zot. Quite nice.

Highlights from my kill-list:

Uniques:

Cerebov (Pan)
Or Nuhofynocu (Pan)
>> Plus 106 other assorted named demon lords from Pan, the least powerful
>> of which (Selugevomilu, if you're interested) was somewhere between
>> Wayne and a Shadow Fiend in power. Oh, and 5 of them were named Plog -
>> by the time I met the last one it was starting to sound like South Park.
Mnoleg (Pan)
Antaeus (Coc:7)
Asmodeus (Geh:7)
Ereshkigal (Tar:7)
Lom Lobon (Pan)
Boris (D:26)
>> Never came back. I can understand him not liking triple-boosted Dispel
>> Undead - I wouldn't have liked it in his place.
Geryon (Hell)
Dispater (Dis:7)
Gloorx Vloq (Pan)
Xtahua (D:22)
Norris (Tomb:3)
Wayne (Tomb:1)
Frances (Snake:5)
Francis (D:18)
Agnes (Vault:1)
Louise (Crypt:5)
Jozef (Crypt:1)
Norbert (Swamp:1)
Harold (D:16)
Erica (Vault:3)
Joseph (Elf:6)
Erolcha (D:9)
>> One of the nastiest surprises I got in the early-mid game...
Urug (D:13)
Psyche (D:13)
Edmund (D:5)
Sigmund (D:3)
Blork the orc (D:6)
Ijyb (D:5)
The ghost of Wizz the Godless, a legendary DG Mo (Coc:1)
>> Can't even remember this one.

One of a kind:

A Serpent of Hell (Geh:7)
>> Apparently they're not unique, though I never saw one out of Geh:7. Good
>> thing, too, given the amount of damage it can do.
A royal jelly (Slime:6)
A titan (Vault:8)
A vapour (Abyss)
An orc high priest (Vault:5)
A pile of gold coins (D:18)
An elf (D:10)
An ettin (D:13)
A soldier ant (D:18)
A wyvern (D:16)
A wolf (Lair:6)

The major demons:

81 Fiends
63 Shadow Fiends
64 Ice Fiends
90 Balrugs
127 Executioners
>> Now replace Orbs of Fire on top of my most-feared list
81 Green Deaths
40 Pit Fiends
66 Blue Deaths
54 Cacodemons

Other assorted nasties:

3 orbs of fire
2 ancient liches (Zot:5)
17 greater mummies
3 Killer Klowns (Zot:5)
2 electric golems (Zot:5)
6 golden dragons
12 liches
25 Orb Guardians (Zot:5)
24 acid blobs
16 shadow dragons
12 sphinxes
21 storm dragons
18 skeletal dragons
17 tentacled monstrosities
12 azure jellies
6 greater nagas (Snake:5)
13 deep elf annihilators
9 deep elf death mages
2 vampire knights
18 hydras
2 death oozes
11 hell-hogs
10 dragons
19 ice dragons
2 program bugs (Abyss)
>> OK, they're not too dangerous, but they're definitely frightening when
>> you're after your last rune and would hate the game to crash...

The three-digit club:

127 Executioners
>> Did I mention that I hated those ?
199 skeletal warriors
215 slime creatures
275 smoke demons
299 hellwings
139 guardian mummies
119 ugly things
195 ynoxinuls
269 neqoxecs
228 orange demons
228 large abominations
112 red devils
176 earth elementals
>> Don't recall botching that many summons... some must have been frienly
>> ones who just stood in the way of a Crystal Spear.
283 killer bees
147 imps
218 small abominations
138 flying skulls
321 midges
522 lemures
332 white imps
316 manes
637 ufetubi
269 orcs

12121 creatures vanquished.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 5:33:00 AM

Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> croaked:

> Subject: [YAVP] Jean, the Mummy Necromancer, gets a full set of
> runes !

> Well, it's all in the title...

Congratulations! :)

> So far, my only win had been with a Nemelex-worshipping Hill Dwarf
> Gladiator (Axes+Evocations killing machine) who never set foot in
> Hell or Pandemonium.

:)  I've had a similar one, worshipped Okawaru but had some nifty
rods (and Evocations:27 as well).

> (I'd previously lost a very promising MeTr to the Serpent of Hell
> on Geh:7, so I was somewhat wary of Hell).

What's 'Me'?

> So this time I decided to go for an uber-spellcaster.

Isn't a Mummy an odd choice for that? They can't use every spell,
after all...

> I didn't really intend to go for a full set of runes when I
> started the game, but I came across a discussion of Pandemonium
> tactics in this group about when I was finishing the Vaults and I
> decided to give it a try.

:)  One brave Mummy Necromancer you had there.

> The early stages of the game were quite difficult, until I
> reached the Temple and annoyed Sif Muna into giving me a copy of
> about every spellbook in the game;

LOL. I'm currently trying to get her to drop me a copy of every
spellbook, too, but she's mostly dropping doubles at the moment... I
got most of the spells I want from found books, so far, but at least
the forget spell ability was useful (is still, but I've got a book
with the spell, now).

> Hell was every bit as nasty as I recalled (had a really close
> call in Dis when an Executioner appeared in the corridor behind
> me just as I was getting ready to retreat), and Pandemonium lived
> up to its reputation: plenty of danger, plenty of XP, plenty of
> stuff (I dare not imagine what it must be like when you're not
> Torment-resistant).

My SEEE didn't seem to have a problem with that, but he was a
coward. :)

> Of course, the RNG displayed its usual sense of humour by
> making most really good items either weapons, heavy armour or
> rings (I could have use a couple of extra hands by the end of the
> game). I couldn't even get full resistance to fire and cold by
> the end of the game; on the other hand, my EV and stats (normally
> one of the weakest spots of mummies) were pretty good.

The Regrettable Natural Greebling always seems to get into a rut
about some particular items (in favour of some, dead against others)
in every game. One game it's a pile bigger than the mount everest of
scrolls, another it's artifact rings, then it's something else
again, and you always miss something specific. (My current game, he
seems to be dead against artifact jewelery, found two artifact rings
and two amulets so far, none too exiting, am not wearing any of
them. He seems to like leaving books lying around, though, perhaps
even more than Sif Muna.)

> You are not hungry.
>>> No I'm not. :)

<g>

[...]
> J - the ring of Integrity (right hand) (665 gold)
[levitation]
> It affects your evasion (+5).
> It affects your strength (+3).
> It affects your intelligence (+2).
> It protects you from fire.
>>> Now aren't these nice ? ;)

Indeed. :)

> L - the amulet "Picibyxkeryt" (around neck) (245 gold)
> This amulet makes its wearer less accurate in hand combat.
> It insulates you from electricity.
> It weighs around 1.0 aum.
>>> The RNG was short on amulets too. At least the shock-res gave
>>> me greater freedom in my choice of rings.

This amulet reminds me of a funny one I once had:

a - the amulet "Obyfxtq Gu"
This amulet makes its wearer less accurate in hand combat.
It affects your accuracy (+4).

Wonder what the net effect of it would have been. ;)

> Q - the ring of Conservation (203 gold)
[hunger]
> It affects your accuracy (+4).
> It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
> It protects you from magic.
> It enhances your eyesight.
> It glows with mutagenic radiation.

Heh. The hunger wouldn't bother you. Would the radiation?

> Books
> l - a Necronomicon (1150 gold)
> m - a tome of Destruction (1650 gold)
> V - a book of Annihilations (1150 gold)
>>> Plus probably at least 3 copies of every book in the game...

Would you like to throw some of them in my direction? ;)

> Orbs of Power
> h - the Orb of Zot (250000 gold)

> Miscellaneous
> z - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>>> Not the hardest to get, but definitely the most boring.

How long did you have to wander around the Abyss for that? How many
gates _didn't_ you take, but just kept on wandering around? (How are
the probabilities of running into a rune?)

> I - a slimy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>>> Lucky this was generated.

Indeed. It's the one thing that can ruin a whole set...

> You have 2 experience left.

> Skills:
> + Level 16 Fighting
>>> Was 0 before I went into Pandemonium. Those major demons sure
>>> yield a lot of XP.

But actually training Fighting instead of something else with those
Exp. isn't easy. You have to find something to thwack without
casting any spells the Exp. would get used up for...

I also didn't find the overall amount of Exp. gained in Pandemonium
all that impressive.

> - Level 1 Air Magic
>>> From a LOT of castings of Swiftness/Levitation in the Abyss

And only one level for that? Seems still awfully little... In the
games I cast Swiftness a lot (not even with Abyss/Pandemonium
visits), it (and Enchantment) usually went higher than I liked. (It
seems such a waste, when you don't want the skill...)

I also wish there was some way to toggle passive skills. Stuff that
you can't help training by just standing around, there should be a
way to prevent wasting the Exp on it. How would the game know I'm
not singing badly off key all the time, for example?

> + Level 1 Evocations
>>> Can't say how I got this...

Wands?

> You cannot memorise any spells.
> You know the following spells:

> b - Vampiric Draining Necromancy Perfect 3
>>> A life-saver in the early game

Why did you keep it?

> d - Dispel Undead Necromancy Perfect 4
>>> Kicks Ancient Lich ass.

That good?

> f - Sublimation of Blood Necromancy Perfect 2
>>> That, too. Though it almost killed me a couple of times as
>>> well.

Used it on yourself? Can Mummies do that?

> k - Summon Elemental Summoning Perfect 4
>>> Or how to get pets in Hell and Pandemonium

Do earth elementals do any good, there? (There are other critters
you could have summoned...)

> r - Death Channel Necromancy Perfect 9
>>> My main weapon for the Vaults, besides Bolt of Draining.
>>> Memorized again for Zot, because I like spectral gold dragons.
>>> :)

Hehe. :)  Spectral foo didn't strike me as particularly effective,
though.

> s - Shadow Creatures Summoning Excellent 5
>>> Wanted to know what kind of things this would summon in Zot.
>>> Quite nice.

My favorites are those that don't pick up stuff. I just killed a
(big?) kobold for plundering my pile-of-things-to-drag-
back-to-the-Temple. Even worse when they vanish with the stuff (as
some Shadow Creatures do, especially when you only have little skill
and only get one per casting, afaik those that stay forever are a
bug).

> Highlights from my kill-list:

> Uniques:

> Cerebov (Pan)
> Or Nuhofynocu (Pan)
>>> Plus 106 other assorted named demon lords from Pan, the least
>>> powerful of which (Selugevomilu, if you're interested) was
>>> somewhere between Wayne and a Shadow Fiend in power. Oh, and 5
>>> of them were named Plog - by the time I met the last one it was
>>> starting to sound like South Park.

I don't understand that reference (I know it's a TV series that I'm
not interested in, and that's all). I've met two Plogs, too, with my
SEEE.

> Boris (D:26)
>>> Never came back. I can understand him not liking triple-boosted
>>> Dispel Undead - I wouldn't have liked it in his place.

LOL. Maybe he's just got a big mouth; he doesn't come back all that
often, does he?

> Erolcha (D:9)
>>> One of the nastiest surprises I got in the early-mid game...

Abyss? Or just the usual "Oh, no, not her!"? (I think everyone
remembers Erolcha after a short while, not the case with a lot of
other uniques.)

> Psyche (D:13)

For some reason, I remember her, too, but maybe just because I like
the name. Sounds like a good name for a whacko. :)

> The ghost of Wizz the Godless, a legendary DG Mo (Coc:1)
>>> Can't even remember this one.

You only have your own ghosts?

> One of a kind:

> A Serpent of Hell (Geh:7)
>>> Apparently they're not unique, though I never saw one out of
>>> Geh:7. Good thing, too, given the amount of damage it can do.
> A royal jelly (Slime:6)

Maybe it's with the Serpent of Hell as with the Royal Jelly? You
normally only find them in one specific place, but it's possible to
meet them elsewhere (or shapeshifters masking as one)?

> An orc high priest (Vault:5)

That's where they belong, not in the Orcish Mines! :)

> The major demons:

> 127 Executioners
>>> Now replace Orbs of Fire on top of my most-feared list

Executioners are cool, though. :)

> 81 Green Deaths

They're cute. :)

> Other assorted nasties:

> 3 orbs of fire

What happened to the location in some of those listings, btw?

> 2 program bugs (Abyss)
>>> OK, they're not too dangerous, but they're definitely
>>> frightening when you're after your last rune and would hate the
>>> game to crash...

"AOL!" (Just with any game. :)  )

> The three-digit club:

> 127 Executioners
>>> Did I mention that I hated those ?

Oh, why? Don't you find the tall, thin guy in pale gray with the
nifty scythe even a little bit cool, or at least impressive? :)

> 215 slime creatures

They're right in the middle of the like/dislike scale for me. When I
meet them early, I don't like them at all, when I meet them later, I
rather like them. Nice friends, too.

> 299 hellwings

I do not like them. :)

> 119 ugly things

They're usually nice to meet.

> 228 large abominations

Did you create them yourself? (With only 17 Tentacled Monstrosities
it can't have been Horrible Things, but instead that other spell...
<checking> Twisted Ressurection, right?)

> 176 earth elementals
>>> Don't recall botching that many summons... some must have been
>>> frienly ones who just stood in the way of a Crystal Spear.

I don't think it lists only _your_ kills, but instead every monster
that was killed in the game, including your friends killed by other
critters. (I certainly didn't kill over a thousand large
abominations and over 300 tentacled monstrosities with my SEEE...)

> 12121 creatures vanquished.

Nice number! :)

--
Tina the Arsonist - an Elder of the Reptile Nervous Grumbler
Anonymous

In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_29389674@fidonet.org>,
Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
>Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> croaked:
>
>> Subject: [YAVP] Jean, the Mummy Necromancer, gets a full set of
>> runes !
>
>> Well, it's all in the title...
>
>Congratulations! :)

Thanks !

>> (I'd previously lost a very promising MeTr to the Serpent of Hell
>> on Geh:7, so I was somewhat wary of Hell).
>
>What's 'Me'?

Ooops, silly me didn't check that I had the right shorthand. Merfolk.

>> So this time I decided to go for an uber-spellcaster.
>
>Isn't a Mummy an odd choice for that? They can't use every spell,
>after all...

On the other hand, they can cast high-level spells all the time without
getting hungry, they get every spellbook in the game early on, and
whenever they have some XP to burn they can stop and cast spells at thin
air until it's all gone into the skill they want.

>> The early stages of the game were quite difficult, until I
>> reached the Temple and annoyed Sif Muna into giving me a copy of
>> about every spellbook in the game;
>
>LOL. I'm currently trying to get her to drop me a copy of every
>spellbook, too, but she's mostly dropping doubles at the moment... I
>got most of the spells I want from found books, so far, but at least
>the forget spell ability was useful (is still, but I've got a book
>with the spell, now).

On the other hand, you might as well save those 3 spell slots for
something more useful.

>> (I dare not imagine what it must be like when you're not
>> Torment-resistant).
>
>My SEEE didn't seem to have a problem with that, but he was a
>coward. :)

Well, I was one too - used Controlled Blink and Tomb of Doroklohe an
inordinate number of times.

>This amulet reminds me of a funny one I once had:
>
> a - the amulet "Obyfxtq Gu"
> This amulet makes its wearer less accurate in hand combat.
> It affects your accuracy (+4).
>
>Wonder what the net effect of it would have been. ;)

If my reading of the source is correct, AoInaccuracy is -5 to accuracy,
so it would still have hampered you a little.

>> Q - the ring of Conservation (203 gold)
> [hunger]
>> It affects your accuracy (+4).
>> It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
>> It protects you from magic.
>> It enhances your eyesight.
>> It glows with mutagenic radiation.
>
>Heh. The hunger wouldn't bother you. Would the radiation?

No. On the other hand, I can't say the +4/+4 would have been terribly
helpful. :)

>> Books
>> l - a Necronomicon (1150 gold)
>> m - a tome of Destruction (1650 gold)
>> V - a book of Annihilations (1150 gold)
>
>Would you like to throw some of them in my direction? ;)

Well, I guess Sif Muna will come to collect all the extra copies I've
left in the Temple and then she can give you the ones you need.

>> Miscellaneous
>> z - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>
>How long did you have to wander around the Abyss for that? How many
>gates _didn't_ you take, but just kept on wandering around? (How are
>the probabilities of running into a rune?)

I spent something like 2 real-time hours in the Abyss searching for the
Rune (and I had already made quite a few short trips there without
seeing one). How many gates ? Probably 50 or so. Apparently the game has
a 1 in 500 chance of creating a rune everytime it creates an item in the
Abyss.
Just to give you an idea, on the end of that trip, my Int was down from
28 to 14 from running around neqoxecs.

>> Skills:
>> + Level 16 Fighting
>
>But actually training Fighting instead of something else with those
>Exp. isn't easy. You have to find something to thwack without
>casting any spells the Exp. would get used up for...

Well, plenty of 5's for the bashing in Pandemonium.

>> - Level 1 Air Magic
>
>And only one level for that? Seems still awfully little... In the
>games I cast Swiftness a lot (not even with Abyss/Pandemonium
>visits), it (and Enchantment) usually went higher than I liked. (It
>seems such a waste, when you don't want the skill...)

Yes, but did you have high Earth Magic ? Mummies are pretty slow
learners in the first place, too. And the Abyss was the only place when
I used Swiftness on a regular basis (for emergency getaways in other
places I preferred Controlled Blink).

>> + Level 1 Evocations
>
>Wands?

Probably, yes.

>> You cannot memorise any spells.
>> You know the following spells:
>
>> b - Vampiric Draining Necromancy Perfect 3
>
>Why did you keep it?

Still used it whenever there were live monsters around to counter the
effects of Sublimation of Blood.

>> d - Dispel Undead Necromancy Perfect 4
>
>That good?

Got rid of Boris in one casting. 2-3 for an Ancient Lich. I'm not quite
sure, but I think it packs more punch per MP than any other spell.

>> f - Sublimation of Blood Necromancy Perfect 2
>
>Used it on yourself? Can Mummies do that?

Yes. Given their pretty low MPs, it's a really useful spell to have.

>> k - Summon Elemental Summoning Perfect 4
>
>Do earth elementals do any good, there? (There are other critters
>you could have summoned...)

Well, they take up space and prevent you from becoming surrounded,
mostly. They can also quite easily get rid of most 3's and 4's -
useful when you're low on MPs.

>> r - Death Channel Necromancy Perfect 9
>
>Hehe. :)  Spectral foo didn't strike me as particularly effective,
>though.

They definitely beat zombies (decent speed, HP regen, draining
attacks). And I like them better than abominations - the lack of poison
res on abo's makes them quite vulnerable if the wrong monster comes
along.
And with Death Channel+Bolt of Draining you can build up a nice army
pretty fast.

>> s - Shadow Creatures Summoning Excellent 5
>
>My favorites are those that don't pick up stuff. I just killed a
>(big?) kobold for plundering my pile-of-things-to-drag-
>back-to-the-Temple. Even worse when they vanish with the stuff (as
>some Shadow Creatures do, especially when you only have little skill
>and only get one per casting, afaik those that stay forever are a
>bug).

Well, in Zot you mostly get dragons, which won't steal your loot.

>> Or Nuhofynocu (Pan)
>
>I don't understand that reference (I know it's a TV series that I'm
>not interested in, and that's all). I've met two Plogs, too, with my
>SEEE.

There's a character in the series called Kenny who dies on every single
episode (to the trademark line "Oh my God, they killed Kenny ! You
bastards !").
Plog was beginning to feel the same way. :)

>> Erolcha (D:9)
>
>Abyss? Or just the usual "Oh, no, not her!"? (I think everyone
>remembers Erolcha after a short while, not the case with a lot of
>other uniques.)

Just "Oh no, not her!". Or rather "Oh no, not her coming up while I'm
finishing a couple of centaurs and am low on MPs, and not in great health
either." Luckily I had enough MP left to Controlled Blink away and come
back later to face her on my terms.
She'e certainly one of the more memorable uniques in the game, along with
Sigmund. Among the higher-level ones, I have bad memories of Adolf and
Rupert too.

>> The ghost of Wizz the Godless, a legendary DG Mo (Coc:1)
>
>You only have your own ghosts?

Yup. And I think it was the first time I wandered into Cocytus, and I
don't recall ever playing a DG.

>> A Serpent of Hell (Geh:7)
>> A royal jelly (Slime:6)
>
>Maybe it's with the Serpent of Hell as with the Royal Jelly? You
>normally only find them in one specific place, but it's possible to
>meet them elsewhere (or shapeshifters masking as one)?

Probably, yes. I've seen it happen with the Royal Jelly, but never with
the Serpent of Hell. I hope never to see it. :)

>> Other assorted nasties:
>
>> 3 orbs of fire
>
>What happened to the location in some of those listings, btw?

I think the game only lists the location if you've met all the monsters
of that kind in the same place. I met an orb of fire in Zot:3 in
addition to the 2 on Zot:5, so no location listed.

>> The three-digit club:
>
>> 127 Executioners
>
>Oh, why? Don't you find the tall, thin guy in pale gray with the
>nifty scythe even a little bit cool, or at least impressive? :)

Impressive is the word - being hit a dozen times before you even get the
option to fight back is pretty impressive indeed. They're also quite
hard to get away from, even with Controlled Blink, given the amound of
space they can cover in one turn. Good thing their attacks usually
missed me.

>> 215 slime creatures
>
>They're right in the middle of the like/dislike scale for me. When I
>meet them early, I don't like them at all, when I meet them later, I
>rather like them. Nice friends, too.

Well, I was starting to be decent at Bolt of Draining and have nice pets
by the time I met them, so they weren't really a problem. But
ordinarily, yes, I agree with you - trouble the first times around, but
easy XP later on.

>> 299 hellwings
>
>I do not like them. :)

I like them better than neqoxecs. Or hellions.

>> 228 large abominations
>
>Did you create them yourself? (With only 17 Tentacled Monstrosities
>it can't have been Horrible Things, but instead that other spell...
><checking> Twisted Ressurection, right?)

Yup, I created quite a few - nice spell to have in the Lair, the Orcish
Mines and the Elven Halls, plenty of corpses around.

>> 176 earth elementals
>
>I don't think it lists only _your_ kills, but instead every monster
>that was killed in the game, including your friends killed by other
>critters.

Yes, that must be it.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 9:45:00 AM

Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> shouted:
> Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
>> Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> croaked:

>>> So this time I decided to go for an uber-spellcaster.
>>
>> Isn't a Mummy an odd choice for that? They can't use every
>> spell, after all...

> On the other hand, they can cast high-level spells all the time
> without getting hungry,

I keep forgetting what negative effects mutations get turned into
for mummies. What penalties do they receive from a miscast?

> they get every spellbook in the game early on,

Only when you chose Sif Muna. That's a strategy I'd not have
considered without some posts here a while ago.

> and whenever they have some XP to burn they can stop and cast
> spells at thin air until it's all gone into the skill they want.

That's what my characters usually do anyway, except the problem is I
want the Exp to go into Fighting or some other skill that I have to
go hunting stuff for (traps come to mind) - the spellcasting happens
anyway.

>> I got most of the spells I want from found books, so far, but at
>> least the forget spell ability was useful (is still, but I've got
>> a book with the spell, now).

> On the other hand, you might as well save those 3 spell slots for
> something more useful.

I do for now, but I want to switch to Vehumet some day... (When I've
got all books, though I've got the two Vehumet specials already -
without being able to read the Book of Demonology, and I got at
least that from Sif Muna, not sure whether I found the other. Still
lacking two Minor Magic, and I don't know what else. <checking> Ah,
yes, the Necronomicon and the Books of Air, Envenomations,
Transfigurations and Morphology are still missing.)

>>> (I dare not imagine what it must be like when you're not
>>> Torment-resistant).
>>
>> My SEEE didn't seem to have a problem with that, but he was a
>> coward. :)

> Well, I was one too - used Controlled Blink and Tomb of Doroklohe
> an inordinate number of times.

Hehe, that's the strategy for everywhere except Hell.

>>> Q - the ring of Conservation (203 gold)
>> [hunger]
>>> It affects your accuracy (+4).
>>> It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
>>> It protects you from magic.
>>> It enhances your eyesight.
>>> It glows with mutagenic radiation.
>>
>> Heh. The hunger wouldn't bother you. Would the radiation?

> No. On the other hand, I can't say the +4/+4 would have been
> terribly helpful. :)

I wouldn't mind them, and the other two traits are nice, though.

>> Would you like to throw some of them in my direction? ;)

> Well, I guess Sif Muna will come to collect all the extra copies
> I've left in the Temple and then she can give you the ones you
> need.

<g>

One of each will do just fine. :)

>> How long did you have to wander around the Abyss for that? How
>> many gates _didn't_ you take, but just kept on wandering around?
>> (How are the probabilities of running into a rune?)

> I spent something like 2 real-time hours in the Abyss searching
> for the Rune (and I had already made quite a few short trips
> there without seeing one). How many gates ? Probably 50 or so.
> Apparently the game has a 1 in 500 chance of creating a rune
> everytime it creates an item in the Abyss.

Thanks. :)

> Just to give you an idea, on the end of that trip, my Int was
> down from 28 to 14 from running around neqoxecs.

No quick way to get rid of them?

>> But actually training Fighting instead of something else with
>> those Exp. isn't easy. You have to find something to thwack
>> without casting any spells the Exp. would get used up for...

> Well, plenty of 5's for the bashing in Pandemonium.

They seem to be the first to drop, though, hardly any left when
you've got the big Exp.

>>> - Level 1 Air Magic
>>
>> And only one level for that? Seems still awfully little... In
>> the games I cast Swiftness a lot (not even with
>> Abyss/Pandemonium visits), it (and Enchantment) usually went
>> higher than I liked. (It seems such a waste, when you don't want
>> the skill...)

> Yes, but did you have high Earth Magic ?

With one (of those I looked at to compare to my memory), the other
had more Air than Earth.

> Mummies are pretty slow learners in the first place, too. And the
> Abyss was the only place when I used Swiftness on a regular basis
> (for emergency getaways in other places I preferred Controlled
> Blink).

I like swiftness on all the time. (Unfortunately, it's only in one
of the few books I still haven't got this game. Bah.)

>>> b - Vampiric Draining Necromancy Perfect 3
>>
>> Why did you keep it?

> Still used it whenever there were live monsters around to counter
> the effects of Sublimation of Blood.

Ah, yes. That's a neat combo.

>>> d - Dispel Undead Necromancy Perfect 4
>>
>> That good?

> Got rid of Boris in one casting. 2-3 for an Ancient Lich. I'm not
> quite sure, but I think it packs more punch per MP than any other
> spell.

I'll have to try it again, then.

>>> f - Sublimation of Blood Necromancy Perfect 2
>> Used it on yourself? Can Mummies do that?

> Yes. Given their pretty low MPs, it's a really useful spell to
> have.

That's good to know.

[Spectral Foo from Death Channel]
> And with Death Channel+Bolt of Draining you can build up a nice
> army pretty fast.

Don't you have to fight the monster in melee to raise them that way?
(From the description, it sounds like it works much like Confusing
Touch, and a spoiler even says the same.)

>>> s - Shadow Creatures Summoning Excellent 5
>>
>> My favorites are those that don't pick up stuff. [...]

> Well, in Zot you mostly get dragons, which won't steal your loot.

Zot's still some way away (and I want to go wandering about a bit
again, anyway), but don't you get lots of silly elves there, too? I
tend to meet too many elves there, anyway. :)  (By that time, I'd
prefer Horrible Things to Shadow Creatures.)

[Erolcha]
> Just "Oh no, not her!". Or rather "Oh no, not her coming up while
> I'm finishing a couple of centaurs and am low on MPs, and not in
> great health either." Luckily I had enough MP left to Controlled
> Blink away and come back later to face her on my terms.

That's the wisdom that distinguishes the guy who survives from those
that get killed. :)

> Among the higher-level ones, I have bad memories of Adolf and
> Rupert too.

I remember Adolf only because of the description, no idea who Rupert
is.

You know, all uniques should get you the 'Oh, no, not that one!'
reaction, or else where's the point?

>>> The ghost of Wizz the Godless, a legendary DG Mo (Coc:1)
>>
>> You only have your own ghosts?

> Yup. And I think it was the first time I wandered into Cocytus,
> and I don't recall ever playing a DG.

That's strange.

Why does he have the title 'Godless', though? (I know he didn't
worship any god, but why no other title?)

>> Maybe it's with the Serpent of Hell as with the Royal Jelly? You
>> normally only find them in one specific place, but it's possible
>> to meet them elsewhere (or shapeshifters masking as one)?

> Probably, yes. I've seen it happen with the Royal Jelly,

I think I have, too, thus the idea.

> but never with the Serpent of Hell. I hope never to see it. :)

:)  Good luck (to us all <g>).

>>> Other assorted nasties:
>>
>>> 3 orbs of fire
>>
>> What happened to the location in some of those listings, btw?

> I think the game only lists the location if you've met all the
> monsters of that kind in the same place.

No, definitely not the case in the version I'm playing with. How old
is yours?

From my current game:

191 killer bees (D:8 D:9 D:11 D:12 Hive:1)

I killed some of them in Hive:2 and so on, too. It only lists the
first 5 places, though, because the later ones aren't as weighty as
for example a killer bee on D:2 would be, which one might want to
brag about beating. :)

> I met an orb of fire in Zot:3 in addition to the 2 on Zot:5, so no
> location listed.

From my last win:

3 orbs of fire (Zot:1 Zot:2 Zot:4)

Didn't kill the second one on Zot:4.

>>> The three-digit club:
>>
>>> 127 Executioners
>>
>> Oh, why? Don't you find the tall, thin guy in pale gray with the
>> nifty scythe even a little bit cool, or at least impressive? :)

> Impressive is the word - being hit a dozen times before you even
> get the option to fight back is pretty impressive indeed. They're
> also quite hard to get away from, even with Controlled Blink,
> given the amound of space they can cover in one turn. Good thing
> their attacks usually missed me.

They carry their name deservedly, or some such (never good at nifty
phrases). :)

>>> 299 hellwings
>>
>> I do not like them. :)

> I like them better than neqoxecs. Or hellions.

Maybe I'm confusing them with hellions. Who can tell all these
monsters apart? I still don't know what a bumblebee does, exactly,
what makes it special...

--
Tina the Hurler - a High Priest of the Rearing Neutralizing Ground
Anonymous

Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
> Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> shouted:
>> Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
>>> Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> croaked:

>>> What happened to the location in some of those listings, btw?

>> I think the game only lists the location if you've met all the
>> monsters of that kind in the same place.

> No, definitely not the case in the version I'm playing with.

The location display is controlled by an option; the default is what
Jean is using.

Darshan
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 8:26:52 PM

In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_2940adb5@fidonet.org>,
>> On the other hand, they can cast high-level spells all the time
>> without getting hungry,
>
>I keep forgetting what negative effects mutations get turned into
>for mummies. What penalties do they receive from a miscast?

I think mutations just do not affect them - they don't seem to get
anything else instead. Other miscasts affect them normally - e.g.
not at all when they worship Sif Muna.
On the other hand, they can lose stats and max HP when they're
glowing (learned that the hard way when I had to combine hasting +
Controlled Blink to escape that Executioner blocking me in Dis).
Stats can be regained by waiting, but I think you can't heal the
rotting except by using the "Restoration" ability, which costs 1
_permanent_ MP.

>> and whenever they have some XP to burn they can stop and cast
>> spells at thin air until it's all gone into the skill they want.
>
>That's what my characters usually do anyway, except the problem is I
>want the Exp to go into Fighting or some other skill that I have to
>go hunting stuff for (traps come to mind) - the spellcasting happens
>anyway.

I tend to run short on food when I try that with a non-mummy.

>> On the other hand, you might as well save those 3 spell slots for
>> something more useful.
>
>I do for now, but I want to switch to Vehumet some day... (When I've
>got all books, though I've got the two Vehumet specials already -
>without being able to read the Book of Demonology, and I got at
>least that from Sif Muna, not sure whether I found the other. Still
>lacking two Minor Magic, and I don't know what else. <checking> Ah,
>yes, the Necronomicon and the Books of Air, Envenomations,
>Transfigurations and Morphology are still missing.)

Vehumet is nice, yes. The only problem is that you have to fight to
maintain high piety, which is annoying when you want to wait for lost
stats to return to their max levels. Also, be sure to wait long enough
so that Sif Muna will not be angry at you anymore - losing all your MP
while in a fight can certainly be nasty.
You don't lack that many books... Transmutations is pretty useless for
a mummy anyways. Of course, I can understand you wanting a book of Air
and a Necronomicon quite badly

>> Just to give you an idea, on the end of that trip, my Int was
>> down from 28 to 14 from running around neqoxecs.
>
>No quick way to get rid of them?

Only Mystic Blast/Crystal Spear. Works fine, except when there are other
monsters in the way. Since stopping to fight the hordes of demons
would only have made the Abyss more boring, I tended to get quite a
lot of followers.

>> Well, plenty of 5's for the bashing in Pandemonium.
>
>They seem to be the first to drop, though, hardly any left when
>you've got the big Exp.

Just wait for your next mass 5's summoner - plenty of them around.

>[Spectral Foo from Death Channel]
>> And with Death Channel+Bolt of Draining you can build up a nice
>> army pretty fast.
>
>Don't you have to fight the monster in melee to raise them that way?
>(From the description, it sounds like it works much like Confusing
>Touch, and a spoiler even says the same.)

No, the only thing that matters is that you have to kill them yourself.
Pet kills won't work, but killing with spells certainly does.

>> Among the higher-level ones, I have bad memories of Adolf and
>> Rupert too.
>
>I remember Adolf only because of the description, no idea who Rupert
>is.

Well, I once met Adolf pretty early (first level of the Snake Pits,
IIRC). Orb of Energy and Iron Bolt can certainly lower your HP fast.
(also I think that character had some equipment shuffling to do to get
see invisible, and Adolf has cast Invis on his first move).
Rupert can cast Banishment. If you're not well prepared and the RNG
gets nasty, it can be memorable.

>You know, all uniques should get you the 'Oh, no, not that one!'
>reaction, or else where's the point?

With the early ones - apart from Sigmund - it's usually more like "cool,
cheap XP." Except when the Really Nice God decides that Ijyb could use
a wand of draining, that is.
Speaking of unique horror stories, one of my friends once ran into
Xtahua while vulnerable to fire. The fight didn't last very long.

>> I think the game only lists the location if you've met all the
>> monsters of that kind in the same place.
>
>No, definitely not the case in the version I'm playing with. How old
>is yours?
>[snip example]

Well, I haven't compiled the game for quite some time, so I probably
missed one version of Darshan's patch.

>>> I do not like them. :)
>
>> I like them better than neqoxecs. Or hellions.
>
>Maybe I'm confusing them with hellions. Who can tell all these
>monsters apart? I still don't know what a bumblebee does, exactly,
>what makes it special...

Hellions are the ones who cast Hellfire.
And I don't know what a bumblebee does either. Except I often confuse
them with red wasps because of the colour (it's red, it's an insect...)
so they usually make me breathe with relief when I realise what they
actually are.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 9:23:00 PM

Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> barked:
> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
>> Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> shouted:

>>> I think the game only lists the location if you've met all the
>>> monsters of that kind in the same place.

>> No, definitely not the case in the version I'm playing with.

> The location display is controlled by an option; the default is
> what Jean is using.

Oh. I keep forgetting all the options. :)  (Including those I'm
using.)

Why is it the default, though? And why does the option exist at all?
(The way Jean phrases it, I can't see any reason for that
behaviour.)

While we're at it. What was the option to not auto-Target plants,
again, and the thing about giving stairs extra 'virtual movement
points' (or whatever you'd call it) so Travel doesn't consider
shortcuts through levels it doesn't have to pass? (In one game, it
wanted to go through Vaults:8 as a shortcut, an yet unexplored and
only peeked at V:8. <g>)

Btw. Would there be a convenient way to implement an option to slow
down Travel to a pace that can be followed with the eye? (A hotkey
in the game would be nice.)

--
Tina the Thaumaturge - a Believer of the Rebuffing Negotiating Geography
Anonymous

Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
> Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> barked:
[...]
>> The location display is controlled by an option; the default is
>> what Jean is using.
[...]
> Why is it the default, though? And why does the option exist at
> all? (The way Jean phrases it, I can't see any reason for that
> behaviour.)

It's the default because it keeps the kill list uncluttered.

> While we're at it. What was the option to not auto-Target plants,
> again,

target_zero_exp = false

> and the thing about giving stairs extra 'virtual movement
> points' (or whatever you'd call it) so Travel doesn't consider
> shortcuts through levels it doesn't have to pass?

travel_stair_cost = 500

or a similar large number. I'm going to make 500 the default when I
next update the patch. The current default is 1, which makes
interlevel travel extremely stair-happy.

> (In one game, it wanted to go through Vaults:8 as a shortcut, an
> yet unexplored and only peeked at V:8. <g>)

Dangerous. Upping the stair cost is definitely worth it for the peace
of mind.

> Btw. Would there be a convenient way to implement an option to slow
> down Travel to a pace that can be followed with the eye? (A hotkey
> in the game would be nice.)

The travel_delay option can be set to the delay between moves in
milliseconds. I use travel_delay = 5. Unfortunately, as far as I
know, this option doesn't work on DOS (at least, it has no effect
when I try the DOS binary). Try it - it may work for you if
you're using real DOS.

Darshan
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:43:00 AM

Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> roared:
> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
>> Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> barked:
> [...]
>>> The location display is controlled by an option; the default is
>>> what Jean is using.
> [...]
>> Why is it the default, though? And why does the option exist at
>> all? (The way Jean phrases it, I can't see any reason for that
>> behaviour.)

> It's the default because it keeps the kill list uncluttered.

How that? They're still all listed, after all... (Wouldn't it be
nice if there was an easy way to sort out the kills worth
mentioning? Going through them for a YAVP takes ages... <g>)

>> While we're at it. What was the option to not auto-Target
>> plants, again,

> target_zero_exp = false

Thanks. :)  (I got rather tired of hitting the keys faster than I see
what I'm throwing my Sticky Flame at and getting fast fried salad
that way, that isn't even something to eat. ;)  )

Plants give zero exp, though? Didn't know/never noticed/forgot that.

>> and the thing about giving stairs extra 'virtual movement
>> points' (or whatever you'd call it) so Travel doesn't consider
>> shortcuts through levels it doesn't have to pass?

> travel_stair_cost = 500

> or a similar large number. I'm going to make 500 the default when
> I next update the patch. The current default is 1, which makes
> interlevel travel extremely stair-happy.

As I've seen again in the Vaults this evening. It keeps wanting to
go through the bottom level of the Vaults, so this really comes in
handy right now. Thanks! :)

>> (In one game, it wanted to go through Vaults:8 as a shortcut, an
>> yet unexplored and only peeked at V:8. <g>)

> Dangerous. Upping the stair cost is definitely worth it for the
> peace of mind.

Oh, yes. Far too exiting for a little kobold who wants to drag back
his loot. :)

>> Btw. Would there be a convenient way to implement an option to
>> slow down Travel to a pace that can be followed with the eye? (A
>> hotkey in the game would be nice.)

> The travel_delay option can be set to the delay between moves in
> milliseconds. I use travel_delay = 5. Unfortunately, as far as I
> know, this option doesn't work on DOS (at least, it has no effect
> when I try the DOS binary). Try it - it may work for you if
> you're using real DOS.

Using OS/2 DOS fullscreen (more convenient, now that I've got OS/2
again), but I'll try. Thanks. :)

Update: It does work here.

--
Tina the Halberdier - the Favourite Plaything of the Respectable Norwegian
Groan

Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
> Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> roared:
>> Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) wrote:
>>> Darshan Shaligram <darshans@aztec.soft.net> barked:
>> [...]
>> [...]
>>> Why is it the default, though? And why does the option exist at
>>> all? (The way Jean phrases it, I can't see any reason for that
>>> behaviour.)

>> It's the default because it keeps the kill list uncluttered.

> How that? They're still all listed, after all...

Yes, but the parenthesized place list tends to look icky when
there's several places.

> Plants give zero exp, though?

Plants and fungi, yes, oklob plants not included.

Darshan
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 7:14:48 PM

"Jean Marot" <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> wrote in message
> In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_2940adb5@fidonet.org>,
> I think mutations just do not affect them - they don't seem to get
> anything else instead. Other miscasts affect them normally - e.g.
> not at all when they worship Sif Muna.
> On the other hand, they can lose stats and max HP when they're
> glowing (learned that the hard way when I had to combine hasting +
> Controlled Blink to escape that Executioner blocking me in Dis).
> Stats can be regained by waiting, but I think you can't heal the
> rotting except by using the "Restoration" ability, which costs 1
> _permanent_ MP.

You can heal rotting with healing potions, too. A mummy can't drink, but Xom
can grant a healing/heal wounds potion effect as a minor favor, which will heal
rotting. I'm pretty sure the healing card in a deck of tricks works, too.

There might be other tricky ways, but I can't think of them.

--
Jeremey
Anonymous

Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> screamed:
> In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_2940adb5
> @fidonet.org>,

Some of that seems to be missing. (Just incase you've got trouble
with your software...)

>>> On the other hand, they can cast high-level spells all the time
>>> without getting hungry,
>>
>> I keep forgetting what negative effects mutations get turned
>> into for mummies. What penalties do they receive from a miscast?

> I think mutations just do not affect them - they don't seem to
> get anything else instead. Other miscasts affect them normally -
> e.g. not at all when they worship Sif Muna.

Not entirely true, it's only 'some side effects' that she protects
against, I got an effect (confusion I think) in my current game.

> On the other hand, they can lose stats and max HP when they're
> glowing

Ah, yes. That's what I was thinking of.

> (learned that the hard way when I had to combine hasting +
> Controlled Blink to escape that Executioner blocking me in
> Dis). Stats can be regained by waiting, but I think you can't
> heal the rotting except by using the "Restoration" ability, which
> costs 1 _permanent_ MP.

I remember reading about that. Not nice.

>>> and whenever they have some XP to burn they can stop and cast
>>> spells at thin air until it's all gone into the skill they
>>> want.
>>
>> That's what my characters usually do anyway, except the problem
>> is I want the Exp to go into Fighting or some other skill that I
>> have to go hunting stuff for (traps come to mind) - the
>> spellcasting happens anyway.

> I tend to run short on food when I try that with a non-mummy.

When you try to find something to fight?

> Vehumet is nice, yes. The only problem is that you have to fight
> to maintain high piety, which is annoying when you want to wait
> for lost stats to return to their max levels.

Sounds like a definite problem for mummies, but the other gods (that
are available to mummies) are all the same in that, only Sif Muna
doesn't want kills all the time.

> Also, be sure to wait long enough so that Sif Muna will not be
> angry at you anymore - losing all your MP while in a fight can
> certainly be nasty.

That's what I'm wondering about. Not long ago someone mentioned a
number of points that Sif Muna wants cast. I don't quite know how to
translate that into game-actions, though (or the actual number).
What exactly do I have to do? Casting a number of spells? How do
they add up? (Actually doing it for an eternity is not a problem,
not only do I have food, but also Shadow Creatures that can feed me.
So I can cast that spell, thwack and eat the buggers, turn some of
them into mana via Sublimation of Blood and even raise some as
zombies, then cast the spell again... Until Sif Muna is happy
again.)

> You don't lack that many books...

The next three books she dropped after the complaint here was
Transfigurations, Morphology and Air. :)  (Then came another
Demonology. <sigh>) So I only lack Envenomations and the
Necronomicon (ignoring the Magic Mapping, the spells of those are
repeated in other books, I think, though I'd like a complete set,
anyway).

> Transmutations is pretty useless for a mummy anyways.

My character isn't a Mummy, it's a Kobold Venom Mage. :)  (Going
completely whacko concerning skills. His three highest at present
are Spellcasting:18, Fighting:17 and Evocations:16.) I'm just asking
about mummies to gather some knowledge for future games.

> Of course, I can understand you wanting a book of Air and a
> Necronomicon quite badly

I don't remember what spells are in the Necronomicon, I just want
one. :)  <checking> Ah, yes, I think I want to learn Necromutation
for Hell. (Also an attempt to get all runes, since I've got the
slimy one lying around already, that's actually possible.)

What does Kikubaaqudgha think about leaving him?

>>> Just to give you an idea, on the end of that trip, my Int was
>>> down from 28 to 14 from running around neqoxecs.
>>
>> No quick way to get rid of them?

> Only Mystic Blast/Crystal Spear. Works fine, except when there
> are other monsters in the way. Since stopping to fight the hordes
> of demons would only have made the Abyss more boring, I tended to
> get quite a lot of followers.

Hehe. I know those nasty groupies, too. They don't stop for an
autograph or a t-shirt, they want a piece of _you_. ;)

>> [Spectral Foo from Death Channel]
>> Don't you have to fight the monster in melee to raise them that
>> way? (From the description, it sounds like it works much like
>> Confusing Touch, and a spoiler even says the same.)

> No, the only thing that matters is that you have to kill them
> yourself. Pet kills won't work, but killing with spells certainly
> does.

That's good to know.

>> I remember Adolf only because of the description, no idea who
>> Rupert is.

> Well, I once met Adolf pretty early (first level of the Snake
> Pits, IIRC). Orb of Energy and Iron Bolt can certainly lower your
> HP fast. (also I think that character had some equipment
> shuffling to do to get see invisible, and Adolf has cast Invis on
> his first move). Rupert can cast Banishment. If you're not well
> prepared and the RNG gets nasty, it can be memorable.

Didn't know that about Rupert. Will be more wary of him if I run
into him, now. The last I remember meeting this game is Norris, has
a nice description, but I don't know whether he's any particular
threat.

>> You know, all uniques should get you the 'Oh, no, not that one!'
>> reaction, or else where's the point?

> With the early ones - apart from Sigmund - it's usually more like
> "cool, cheap XP."

Jessica can cast spells, too.

> Except when the Really Nice God decides that Ijyb could use a wand
> of draining, that is.

:)  I still remember one very early (as in the number I've played)
game where he had a wand of cold (I think), that wasn't nice,
either.

> Speaking of unique horror stories, one of my friends once ran into
> Xtahua while vulnerable to fire. The fight didn't last very long.

Ow. Xtahua is a dragon, right?

[Vanquished Creatures list difference]
> Well, I haven't compiled the game for quite some time, so I
> probably missed one version of Darshan's patch.

He's cleared that up now. :)  (It's an option.)

With new stuff, Darshan is so nice and sends DOS compilations to an
adress where I can request it through Fido (my node has set up an
adress and some forward-mechanism for just that purpose), which I'm
really grateful for. :)  (To both, to make this possible.)

[hellwings]
>> Maybe I'm confusing them with hellions. Who can tell all these
>> monsters apart? I still don't know what a bumblebee does,
>> exactly, what makes it special...

> Hellions are the ones who cast Hellfire.

Hellwings don't?

> And I don't know what a bumblebee does either. Except I often
> confuse them with red wasps because of the colour (it's red, it's
> an insect...) so they usually make me breathe with relief when I
> realise what they actually are.

But... Red wasps are 'y' and bumblebees are 'k', no? <confused now>

--
Tina the Brawler - a High Priest of the Ruthless Nimble Gearbox
Anonymous

In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_2948c41a@fidonet.org>,
Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
>Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> screamed:
>> In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_2940adb5
>> @fidonet.org>,
>
>Some of that seems to be missing. (Just incase you've got trouble
>with your software...)

Actually I trimmed it by hand. :)

>> I tend to run short on food when I try that with a non-mummy.
>
>When you try to find something to fight?

No, when I just sit around and cast spells at thin air whenever I
have some XP to spend (the problem is not so much the spells
themselves as waiting for the MPs to come back).

>> Vehumet is nice, yes. The only problem is that you have to fight
>> to maintain high piety, which is annoying when you want to wait
>> for lost stats to return to their max levels.
>
>Sounds like a definite problem for mummies, but the other gods (that
>are available to mummies) are all the same in that, only Sif Muna
>doesn't want kills all the time.

Which is why all my mummies are Sif Muna worshippers. :)

>> Also, be sure to wait long enough so that Sif Muna will not be
>> angry at you anymore - losing all your MP while in a fight can
>> certainly be nasty.
>
>That's what I'm wondering about. Not long ago someone mentioned a
>number of points that Sif Muna wants cast. I don't quite know how to
>translate that into game-actions, though (or the actual number).
>What exactly do I have to do? Casting a number of spells? How do
>they add up? (Actually doing it for an eternity is not a problem,
>not only do I have food, but also Shadow Creatures that can feed me.
>So I can cast that spell, thwack and eat the buggers, turn some of
>them into mana via Sublimation of Blood and even raise some as
>zombies, then cast the spell again... Until Sif Muna is happy
>again.)

Seems like a bit of source-diving is in order here. I'll try to
understand how it works, but if anyone with better knowledge of the
inner workings of Crawl wants to correct me, feel free. I offer no
warranty on the follwing explanations. :)
Actions that cause you to gain piety will reduce your penance if your
own god is angry, but won't do anything if you've got a problem with
another god. The game decreases your penance counter by 1 whenever it
checks to see whether the god will punish you, and decreases it further
when punishment actually occurs.
Sif Muna is pretty nasty in that leaving her gets you 50 points of
penance, and each punishment only decreases it by 1. Her ways of
punishing you are:
- (temporarily) decreasing your INT by as much as 1/5 of your max score
- confusing you
- various effects as per heavy Divinations miscast
- draining you of 100 MP
- cancelling all of the spells that currently affect you.

>> Transmutations is pretty useless for a mummy anyways.
>
>My character isn't a Mummy, it's a Kobold Venom Mage. :)  (Going
>completely whacko concerning skills. His three highest at present
>are Spellcasting:18, Fighting:17 and Evocations:16.) I'm just asking
>about mummies to gather some knowledge for future games.

Good, so you don't have to rely on spellcasting alone.

>What does Kikubaaqudgha think about leaving him?

I'll have to write a spoiler on these things someday.
Leaving Kiku gets you 30 points of penance, plus an instant necromancy
miscast. He can punish you by summoning reapers (1-4+(your level / 5))
or causing necromancy miscasts. HEAVY miscasts - how heavy depends
on your XP but if I understand correctly you should expect the same
effects as from a Greater Mummy's death curse when you're level 8.
Oh, and actual punishment does not decrease your penance counter
further with him.

>> Well, I once met Adolf pretty early (first level of the Snake
>> Pits, IIRC). Orb of Energy and Iron Bolt can certainly lower your
>> HP fast. (also I think that character had some equipment
>> shuffling to do to get see invisible, and Adolf has cast Invis on
>> his first move). Rupert can cast Banishment. If you're not well
>> prepared and the RNG gets nasty, it can be memorable.
>
>Didn't know that about Rupert. Will be more wary of him if I run
>into him, now. The last I remember meeting this game is Norris, has
>a nice description, but I don't know whether he's any particular
>threat.

I have a full monster list waiting for a few corrections before
release - if I get around to working on it I might release it
someday.

>> With the early ones - apart from Sigmund - it's usually more like
>> "cool, cheap XP."
>
>Jessica can cast spells, too.

She's not half as annoying as Sigmund, though. The problem with Sigmund
is the combination of invisibility and heavy melee damage.

>> Speaking of unique horror stories, one of my friends once ran into
>> Xtahua while vulnerable to fire. The fight didn't last very long.
>
>Ow. Xtahua is a dragon, right?

Yup. His breath _hurts_.

>>> Maybe I'm confusing them with hellions. Who can tell all these
>>> monsters apart? I still don't know what a bumblebee does,
>>> exactly, what makes it special...
>
>> Hellions are the ones who cast Hellfire.
>
>Hellwings don't?

No. They can teleport you and cast Animate Dead.

>But... Red wasps are 'y' and bumblebees are 'k', no? <confused now>

Yup, but I tend to react to them as "red insects" before I stop to
notice the difference. :)
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:36:00 AM

Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> screamed:
> Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
>> Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> screamed:
>>> In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_2940adb5
>>> @fidonet.org>,

>> Some of that seems to be missing. (Just incase you've got
>> trouble with your software...)

> Actually I trimmed it by hand. :)

On accident?

>>> I tend to run short on food when I try that with a non-mummy.
>>
>> When you try to find something to fight?

> No, when I just sit around and cast spells at thin air whenever I
> have some XP to spend (the problem is not so much the spells
> themselves as waiting for the MPs to come back).

I was refering to spending those Exp on Fighting, though, because
the problem is _not_ casting the spells anyway (when I run into a
monster, I like some preparation spells, never mind something that
is better not fought for training). From some vague point in the
game, spending current Exp on particular spells to exercise a skill
isn't a problem, though. Finding a monster to train Fighting with,
is.

[How to appease Sif Muna after leaving her]
>> What exactly do I have to do? Casting a number of spells? How do
>> they add up? [...]

> Seems like a bit of source-diving is in order here. I'll try to
> understand how it works, but if anyone with better knowledge of
> the inner workings of Crawl wants to correct me, feel free. I
> offer no warranty on the follwing explanations. :)

Acknowledged. :)

> Actions that cause you to gain piety will reduce your penance if
> your own god is angry, but won't do anything if you've got a
> problem with another god. The game decreases your penance counter
> by 1 whenever it checks to see whether the god will punish you,
> and decreases it further when punishment actually occurs.

How often does it check? That's really the important thing to
calculate how long it'll take to get rid of the penance. (I looked
at religion.cc, but didn't understand most of it. I wonder what
happens when you leave one god, then join Elyvilon, then leave her.
Will the game remember that there was a god before her that has a
grudge?)

> Sif Muna is pretty nasty in that leaving her gets you 50 points
> of penance, and each punishment only decreases it by 1. Her ways
> of punishing you are:
> - (temporarily) decreasing your INT by as much as 1/5 of your
> max score

Sustain Abilities won't help, I suppose, but the usual methods of
regaining them will, right?

> - confusing you

Does 'Clarity' help against that?

> - various effects as per heavy Divinations miscast

That's them with the mutations, isn't it? Would wearing an amulet of
resist mutation help?

> - draining you of 100 MP

That effectively means all, right? (Not descending into negative
numbers...?)

> - cancelling all of the spells that currently affect you.

Ok.

Thanks!

>>> Transmutations is pretty useless for a mummy anyways.
>>
>> My character isn't a Mummy, it's a Kobold Venom Mage. :)  (Going
>> completely whacko concerning skills. His three highest at
>> present are Spellcasting:18, Fighting:17 and Evocations:16.) I'm
>> just asking about mummies to gather some knowledge for future
>> games.

> Good, so you don't have to rely on spellcasting alone.

That wouldn't really be a problem, I just have some vague Plan. :)
(I like Plans, though there's no reason to assume they're any good.)

>> What does Kikubaaqudgha think about leaving him?

> I'll have to write a spoiler on these things someday.
> Leaving Kiku gets you 30 points of penance, plus an instant
> necromancy miscast. He can punish you by summoning reapers
> (1-4+(your level / 5)) or causing necromancy miscasts.

What are those miscast effects?

1-4 means 1d4 not 'one minus four', right? That'd be between 5.4 and
21.6 reapers.

> HEAVY miscasts - how heavy depends on your XP but if I understand
> correctly you should expect the same effects as from a Greater
> Mummy's death curse when you're level 8.

What effect is that?

And do you mean the curse effect it has when I'm XL:8 (the mummy
effect differs between XL?), or does it mean that the effect is that
of this Greater Mummy when the character is at XL:8, and it'd be a
completely different effect at a different XL? What about being at
XL:27?

> Oh, and actual punishment does not decrease your penance counter
> further with him.

Thanks. :)

I only need one more Minor Magic and the Necronomicon. I suppose
switching to Kikubaaqudgha just for the book is not all that good an
idea, though. :)

>>> Rupert can cast Banishment. If you're not well prepared and the
>>> RNG gets nasty, it can be memorable.
>>
>> Didn't know that about Rupert. Will be more wary of him if I run
>> into him, now. The last I remember meeting this game is Norris,
>> has a nice description, but I don't know whether he's any
>> particular threat.

> I have a full monster list waiting for a few corrections before
> release - if I get around to working on it I might release it
> someday.

I'd like to add my 2 cents. :)

>>> With the early ones - apart from Sigmund - it's usually more
>>> like "cool, cheap XP."
>>
>> Jessica can cast spells, too.

> She's not half as annoying as Sigmund, though. The problem with
> Sigmund is the combination of invisibility and heavy melee
> damage.

The invisibility isn't as bad, he doesn't move around, after all,
but killing him is a problem (is hitting creatures you don't see
more difficult?).

>>> Hellions are the ones who cast Hellfire.
>>
>> Hellwings don't?

> No. They can teleport you and cast Animate Dead.

Then I did confuse them.

>> But... Red wasps are 'y' and bumblebees are 'k', no? <confused
>> now>

> Yup, but I tend to react to them as "red insects" before I stop
> to notice the difference. :)

Hmmm... That's an odd process going on there. ;)  I sometimes read
letters wrong, but that's different. (And I really don't like dark
gray monsters. I often don't know whether they're there or not
because they look like remembered monsters.)

--
Tina the Hacker - a Priest of the Removable Neutral General
Anonymous

In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_2958e00b@fidonet.org>,
Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
>Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> screamed:
>> Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
>>> Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> screamed:
>
>>> Some of that seems to be missing. (Just incase you've got
>>> trouble with your software...)
>
>> Actually I trimmed it by hand. :)
>
>On accident?

Nope, I just find the long list of attributions ugly.

>I was refering to spending those Exp on Fighting, though, because
>the problem is _not_ casting the spells anyway (when I run into a
>monster, I like some preparation spells, never mind something that
>is better not fought for training). From some vague point in the
>game, spending current Exp on particular spells to exercise a skill
>isn't a problem, though. Finding a monster to train Fighting with,
>is.

I usually don't have a problem finding a training - ie not too
dangerous - monster. The problem is not killing it in a couple
of hits - for that you should use a low-damage weapon, preferrably
one you're not good with. That's why the RNG usually gives you
a handy -5,-5 randart knife at some point in the game. :)

>[How to appease Sif Muna after leaving her]
>> Actions that cause you to gain piety will reduce your penance if
>> your own god is angry, but won't do anything if you've got a
>> problem with another god. The game decreases your penance counter
>> by 1 whenever it checks to see whether the god will punish you,
>> and decreases it further when punishment actually occurs.
>
>How often does it check? That's really the important thing to
>calculate how long it'll take to get rid of the penance. (I looked
>at religion.cc, but didn't understand most of it. I wonder what
>happens when you leave one god, then join Elyvilon, then leave her.
>Will the game remember that there was a god before her that has a
>grudge?)

If the comments in the source are reliable, the game makes a call
to handle_god_time() (from handle_time() in items.cc) about every
20 turns. On every such call, there's one chance in 100 that you'll
be selected for divine retribution by one of the gods who're currently
angry with you. So on average it should check about once every 1000
turns, but as all durations in Crawl it's highly variable.

>[punishment effects for Sif Muna]
>> - (temporarily) decreasing your INT by as much as 1/5 of your
>> max score
>
>Sustain Abilities won't help, I suppose, but the usual methods of
>regaining them will, right?

Right.

>> - confusing you
>
>Does 'Clarity' help against that?

No.

>> - various effects as per heavy Divinations miscast
>
>That's them with the mutations, isn't it? Would wearing an amulet of
>resist mutation help?

I think you're confusing with Transmutations. Divinations miscasts can
confuse you, cause you to forget (partly or wholly) the map of the
current level, cause you to forget a spell (ouch) and lower your INT.

>> - draining you of 100 MP
>
>That effectively means all, right? (Not descending into negative
>numbers...?)

Yes. (I included the number because I wasn't 100% sure to reach
more than 100 MP, but apparently it is).

>>> What does Kikubaaqudgha think about leaving him?
>
>> I'll have to write a spoiler on these things someday.
>> Leaving Kiku gets you 30 points of penance, plus an instant
>> necromancy miscast. He can punish you by summoning reapers
>> (1-4+(your level / 5)) or causing necromancy miscasts.
>
>What are those miscast effects?
>
>1-4 means 1d4 not 'one minus four', right? That'd be between 5.4 and
>21.6 reapers.

Yup.

>> HEAVY miscasts - how heavy depends on your XP but if I understand
>> correctly you should expect the same effects as from a Greater
>> Mummy's death curse when you're level 8.
>
>What effect is that?
>
>And do you mean the curse effect it has when I'm XL:8 (the mummy
>effect differs between XL?), or does it mean that the effect is that
>of this Greater Mummy when the character is at XL:8, and it'd be a
>completely different effect at a different XL? What about being at
>XL:27?

I meant than when you're level 8 you should expect the same as
from a Greater Mummy's death curse. If you're higher than level 8,
it will be worse. (you can't get the "turn potions into potions of decay"
and "curse random item", though - these are only for mummies' death
curses).
Typical effects you should expect are draining you XP, Tormenting you,
draining your stats, rotting you, and summoning hostile Reapers or
Soul Eaters.

>I only need one more Minor Magic and the Necronomicon. I suppose
>switching to Kikubaaqudgha just for the book is not all that good an
>idea, though. :)

With enough time on your hands, you'll get it from Sif Muna. Switching
to Kiku is... risky business. I wouldn't, anyway.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 2:54:51 AM

In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_2961049e@fidonet.org>,
Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
>Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> croaked:
>> Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
>>> Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> screamed:
>>> [How to appease Sif Muna after leaving her]
>>> How often does it check? That's really the important thing to
>>> calculate how long it'll take to get rid of the penance.
>
>> If the comments in the source are reliable, the game makes a call
>> to handle_god_time() (from handle_time() in items.cc) about every
>> 20 turns. On every such call, there's one chance in 100 that
>> you'll be selected for divine retribution by one of the gods
>> who're currently angry with you. So on average it should check
>> about once every 1000 turns, but as all durations in Crawl it's
>> highly variable.
>
>How do you get to the 'once every 1000 turns'?

Ahem... By posting while seriously lacking sleep, mostly. Of course
it's once every 2000 turns.

  • (I found that, during another look at religion.cc, but - apart
    >from more guessing than understanding what it relates to - never saw
    >the 'about every 20 turns', where's that? Just want to learn about
    >understanding that thing. :)  )

    The function handle_god_time() is only called from handle_time(), found
    in items.cc. There's a comment there stating that handle_time() is
    called about every 20 turns - I didn't try to find out exactly when it
    was called, but just assumed the comment was correct.

    >>> That effectively means all, right? (Not descending into negative
    >>> numbers...?)
    >
    >> Yes. (I included the number because I wasn't 100% sure to reach
    >> more than 100 MP, but apparently it is).
    >
    >50 MP is the absolute max, I'm told. (Your sentence looks odd,
    >though. Do you mean 'impossible to reach more than 100 MP'?)

    Yup, still that problem about posting when tired...
    And you can actually get to 65 MP by wearing 2 rings of magical power
    and wielding a staff of power. Not a terribly good idea, but it's
    possible.
    Anonymous
    October 14, 2004 7:42:00 AM

    Jean Marot <marot@quatramaran.ens.fr> barked:
    > Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:

    [how often does Sif Muna exact vengeance after leaving her]
    >> How do you get to the 'once every 1000 turns'?

    > Ahem... By posting while seriously lacking sleep, mostly. Of
    > course it's once every 2000 turns.

    At least you're not alone in that. I wasn't too sure of my numbers,
    either. :)

    Btw, you missed one particular effect, though by searching for the
    message that's no surprise as it's not in religion.cc, but
    spl-cast.cc:
    god_speaks(GOD_SIF_MUNA, "You feel a surge of divine spite.");
    (The comment next to it about the 'one chance in 7' of course makes
    no sense.)

    Unfortunately, I forgot to use the forgot spell ability and learning
    Selective Amnesia before switching, as I'd planned. Guess this falls
    under 'exitement from trying something new and unfamiliar'. :)

  • (I found that, during another look at religion.cc, but -
    >> apart from more guessing than understanding what it relates to -
    >> never saw the 'about every 20 turns', where's that? Just want to
    >> learn about understanding that thing. :)  )

    > The function handle_god_time() is only called from handle_time(),
    > found in items.cc. There's a comment there stating that
    > handle_time() is called about every 20 turns - I didn't try to
    > find out exactly when it was called, but just assumed the comment
    > was correct.

    Ah, thanks!

    [Mana]
    >> 50 MP is the absolute max, I'm told. (Your sentence looks odd,
    >> though. Do you mean 'impossible to reach more than 100 MP'?)

    > Yup, still that problem about posting when tired...

    :)

    > And you can actually get to 65 MP by wearing 2 rings of magical
    > power and wielding a staff of power. Not a terribly good idea,
    > but it's possible.

    There are artifact rings with the 'power' stat (at least as the
    basic item property), so if you have two nifty ones of those, at
    least wearing two rings could be a good idea. Not that I use the
    plain rings all that often, normally only if I find one early and
    can actually use it, with truly nothing better to put on the
    finger...

    --
    Tina the Ice Mage - a Follower of the Resourceful Nitre Gent
    !