The pencil trick, is it that simple?

G

I ahve a duron 800
i would like to run at 1 Ghz, but

my MB Gigabyte 7zm, is autodetect cpu speed, so...
if i use the pencil over the l1 bridges as described..

if soemthing goes wrong can i erase the pencil and it should be back to normal right?
And.. also is it as simple as making pencil on a piece of paper?

Thanks for the help
1 more thing..

Since my MB is auto detect and i cannot change the multiplier on the board no way but i can change the bus speed, but. what i wanted to know what if i set my 800 to 1000 on the chip itself it should find it as 1000 Mhz right?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have heard that drawing a smiley face will get the duron to go over 1.2Ghz!!! amazing! and if you use a marker, well you get a P4!
<A HREF="http://STREAM1.IIMS.INTELONLINE.COM/ViewWeb/Intel-IHC/File/tubes.asx" target="_new"> :smile: </A>
seriously,
Yes, actually it is quite easy as others have related in this forum and I believe you can erase the pencil line,

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The real question is: Should you use a Number 2 graphite pencil? Or should you whip out an artist/drafting set and use something lighter or heavier? Has anyone experimented with something other than a 2 hardness?

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

I couldn't find the pen. The local supply store here, Altex, says they can't keep it in stock. According to them, it is a lot like a fiber-tip pen. It draws lines using conductive fluid.

I took my 850 Tbirds to the lady in our shop who does circuit board repairs. She soldered the traces together quick and neat.

You should be aware that closing the L1 traces does not in itself make the chip run at a different clock rate. It simply enables clock rate selection using the motherboard. (You can always select lower, but without the traces closed, you cannot select higher.) Of course, I did this to overclock my chips to 1050 mHz. I ran into a problem with an IRQ conflict. Don't see how it comes from increasing clock speed, but it goes away when I re-select for 950 mHz or lower. So you don't have to re-open the L1 bridges if you decide not to overclock.

I'd like to here about your experiences. Good luck!

Regards,
Thomas

There's no justice, there's just us.

G

Actually Slvr, I remember reading that #2 pencils are not the best. They have too much clay in them. You want a higher graphite content. a .05 mm mechanical pencil lead is the best width. Unfortunately I cannot remember the #, but I got it at an art supply store when I built my system a while back. Try going to www.Athlonoc.com. They have a good group of AMD OC nuts that will be glad to help! :)

G

My problem is.......

My motherboard is AUTODETECT the voltage
i have no possible way to set the voltage higher

Only settings i have is the BUS SPEED
if i set the bus speed higher it overclocks the cpu..

like max the bus speed works stable 100% stable is 118 and the cpu then runs at 948

the problem is. i want to keep 100 Mhz* bus (200Mhz) u know.. but.. i have no wait to set the voltage on the board higher so my problem is
by altering the L1 bridges to make the cpu think its 1000

will this work for me?

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Your supposed to close all the L1 bridges correct? Except the single dot at the end.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

G

hehe, I posted that a while ago, am I the only one who realizes that the smile unlocks the HOT temperature power of the Tbird?

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

G

Yes. The L1 bridges look like ::::. You change it to look like ||||. (Maybe I have the period on the wrong side.)

WARNING: The bridges are REALLY small. I'm getting old (45) and I couldn't tell for sure if they were closed or not without a powerful magnifier. I would not have tried soldering the bridges myself, although I would have tried the pen if I could have gotten one. Be aware that if you screw it up, there's not much chance of getting it back right. But the good side is that if you do get the bridges closed, you won't have to worry about opening them. You haven't changed anything in the chip, except that you have made it POSSIBLE to do speed changes from the BIOS.

Regards,
Thomas

G

I'm not as experienced at this as some.

I presume my motherboard (Asus A7V133) is different than yours. Mine has the ability to change the CPU voltage. However I specifically chose the 850 mHz Thunderbird because it's voltage is 1.65 to 1.85 acceptable variance centered at 1.75. Since the 1000 mHz Tbird runs at 1.85, I expected that I could increase the clock without diddling with the voltage.

My experience is that I ran into an IRQ problem above 950 mHz. That probably means I am going to have to give it a bit more voltage. However, I am quite prepared to take incremental steps. I cannot afford to blow up two 850's, so I'll take it slow and easy.

Point is, that even if you cannot adjust your voltage, you may be able to get a small increase in CPU speed while leaving your clock at 100 mHz. Like you, I am not interested in changing the 100 mHz clock. It's just not worth possible timing issues for a few percent speed increase.

Regards,
Thomas

TRENDING THREADS