G

A couple other students and I are going to be building a computer for the art lab at my school. It's going to be used mostly for video editing in Adobe Premiere, 3DStudio Max work and some photoshop stuff. Would it be worth it to go with like dual P3 800's over a 1.2 athlon? If we went with the dual p3's we would use windows 2000, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of the dual processor setup making a big difference for this kind of use. Thanks!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
definitely! go for the dual as 3dmax takes full advantage of and also Premiere works great with P3's, With Win2k and a dual setup you will forget what it was like to have a unrecoverable program lock-up your system!

G

yeah, though for most personal use an amd would be better, sounds like you'll be using only apps which will really benefit from two processors. just be sure to use on OS that supports multiple processors (not win9x), or its really a moot point anyway.

G

If you can wait a couple months get dual athlons, I'm waiting on that since 3dsmax uses mp and the athlon is about 25% faster in max than p3.

G

Definately go with a dual (P3 unless you can wait until late summer) for 3D Studio MAX!

Now a question about the dual Athlon's:

Will the dual EV6 (?) bus design on the dual athlon board mean really sweet memory bandwitdh compared to the dual P3's shared bus architecure? And will this make any real-world difference?

G

I don't know any specifics but I know that currently with intel you can never get the 2 cpu's working full load together. Just doesn't work for some reason. Having dual 800mhz doesn't mean you have 1600mhz working for you, even if the software is perfectly multi threaded. Hopefully amd has made advancements in this, you why else take this long?

G

i agree on most apps two processors never = twice the speed, but what about 3d studio? every benchmark i have seen shows render times cut in 2 almost down to the second.

G

My friend had a dual 400 celey system and I have a p3 500. He only ran about 25% faster than I did in max. Same clock and same cpu would see about @. Those numbers may not seem high but it is the difference of a ten minute render and a 40 minute render. Scale that up and you save hours. I can't wait for the dual athlons.