Sign in with
Your question

Virtualization software recommendations

Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2013 9:42:16 AM

Hello guys,

I am looking for a simple, easy to use virtualization software that is able to run linux/ubantu.

I am NOT using this for any important work at all. I am just using this to try it out and to show off to my friends thats all. So I just need a virtualization software to run ubantu.

System spec:
i7 2600k stock
gtx 560
8gb g.skill ripjaws X
fsp 500watt 80plus gold
crucial m4 64gb
1tb seagate barracuda

Could you guys tell me any precautions to take or anything like how much space will this use in my hdd and stuff as its my first time using this. Could you guys also give me steps on installing?

The kind of virtualization software i am looking for is something like a program that launches a window and inside that window, would be the os of my choice itself. And i can do things like watch youtube and use ubantu at the same time. Thank you
January 9, 2013 11:15:09 AM

Get oracle virtualbox. It's free.
Install virtualbox
New
Follow the instructions

You need to have a bootable ISO file of the OS.
Ubuntu ISO file http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
You need to specify the space the virtual machine will need. This will be stored in your C drive. You can use the Ethernet and can even copy files from the two operating systems

Another option is VMware. But I think it is a shareware(not free). I used it about 3 years back and I didn't like it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 11:17:26 AM

You could also try the free version of VMWare...
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 11:27:29 AM

i like virtual box, very simple to use but both are good choices. instead of ubuntu try lubuntu its way faster
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 11:31:38 AM

+1 for virtual box
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 12:01:47 PM

If you want to be able to run concurrent VMs then VirtualBox

If you only want to run one VM at a time then VMware Player (should qualify that better - one at a time per instance of Player)

Both are free, though VMware Player requires that you create an account before downloading.
m
l
!