Quick Question, please answer

G

okay, tonight Im putting together my system, KT7A Abit mobo, with hard drives, etc... and a 850Mhz Tbird.... I dont have the heatsink fans yet (they come tommorrow), but can I at least fire up the system and see if it posts? Or will it bridge the 190 degree mark too quickly that way?

thanks for your answers... I'll be building hte system in about 30 mins :)

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ok, my own experience was with a crappy fan on a duron, and even that overheated in a matter of moments, so I'm not so sure it's worth it. Especially with nothing on. I don't know if it will burn up, but it' probably best to wait it out.

"I think I brained my damage"

G

ahhh, come on :) I've been waiting 2 weeks to fire this bad boy up.... I wont even overclock it, I promise! just long enough to post :)

anyone else had experience with this?

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
hmm one more day for a fan, or 1 week for a new CPU? I think it is preety much ovious not to try it, unless of course you want to wait for a new CPU.

Someday I will stop asking all the questions!

G

What a dumb question. Do you really expect an intelligent answer ????!!!

Keep your pants on Brother, or be ready to suffer the consequenses !

Of all of the dumd questions.. I'm incredulous

G

umm, ouch? you hurt my feelings? err?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>I dont have the heatsink fans yet (they come tommorrow), but can I at least fire up the system and see if it posts</b>
I won't start the computer without HSF since CPU would more likely be fried.

G

Oh please. Don't be so sensitive. Shirley, it must seem dopey in retrospect. I mean, would you try a new set of rollerblades without elbow, knee, and wrist guards ?

Of course you can..

G

Just a statement that nobody mentioned...Fact is, Abit built a safety net for people who are way too eager, or forgetful- thanks. The board won't turn on without a fan plugged into the Fan1 pins.

Picure the voice on the Simpsons...HA-HA.

Sorry Charley. I can see it now, next he will find a way to short the pins out so he won't have to plug it in!

G

Not to hit ground already covered, but AMD's own assembly notes say that the T-bird can fry in 9 seconds or less under power without a HSF combo on board. They were very concerned about this issue with system builders because the common practice with Intel chips was to test post without an HSF as a quality control. If you haven't already done it, don't even try! (I guess it's a good thing you got the Abit board to protect you fromm yourself. lol) :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Of course AMD believes that everyone can always find a use for an extra keychain. (Or whatever else you do with the chip when it burns out.)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

as long as you use a screwdriver to jump the fan1 pins, it will start up, I've actually managed to maintain a 80C temperature for most of the windows install we'll see what happens next...

G

Hehe, okay, so I didnt do that :) Im not "quite" that stupid... (quite is the keyword)... but when i did get the fan, I managed to place it in the fan2 spot instead of the fan1 and COULDNT get it to boot, damn thing :)

all is well now.. well sorta... see other posts