Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading to windows 7 question

Last response: in Windows 7
August 1, 2009 3:27:16 PM

i am going to be testing out the 7600 rtm of win 7 on my old computer over my vista ultimate.
i was wondering should i do a upgrade and keep everything ? or do a fresh install

and about the hard drive its a wd 1tb black. would i notice i difference between that drive and a wd 640 gb
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2009 12:17:58 AM

A fresh install is best, so if a problem arises you will know it's not a result of left over files.
I doubt you will notice a difference between the 2 drives, but I think the 640 gb may be a fraction faster as it only has 2 platters, you would probably need drive speed check tools to know for sure.
Just checked WD site and the 640 gb is faster but I doubt you will notice in actual use.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2009 12:31:15 AM

Why not do a fresh install?

I think the 1tb drive will be faster because it is denser and transfers data faster from the outer cylinders where the OS will be loaded. That said, I doubt that you would notice the difference.
Score
Related resources
August 2, 2009 12:48:24 AM

Until Windows 7 goes gold on 22 October, all you can do is a fresh install...
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2009 1:32:06 PM

marcellis22 said:
Until Windows 7 goes gold on 22 October, all you can do is a fresh install...

Not correct - The OP can use his Win 7 .iso to upgrade his Vista installation. 7 will definitely recognize and the upgrade option will be available. Having said that, he will *not* be able to upgrade an RC build to the RTM/GA one. So if he wants all his programs and data to be migrated to his Win 7 install, I would recommend imaging Vista over to the new drive first. Then upgrade the image.
August 3, 2009 7:37:36 PM

freshy
Score
August 3, 2009 7:52:44 PM

disconnect the drive that you wish to keep all of your info. w7 is very nasty are destroying things without the users knowledge. only install first on a small drive and then merge everything over.

I personally give up w7 for other software compatibility issues. some of the wxp software will not work at all under w7.

install it at own risk.

Score
August 3, 2009 8:10:12 PM

um.....do you suck at using computers?
Score
August 3, 2009 8:19:46 PM

Duesouth said:
disconnect the drive that you wish to keep all of your info. w7 is very nasty are destroying things without the users knowledge. only install first on a small drive and then merge everything over.

I personally give up w7 for other software compatibility issues. some of the wxp software will not work at all under w7.

install it at own risk.

well i not sure about that but
i have w7 partitioned on the same drive as windows vista but i would do a fresh install and keep vista just in case theres problem and then buy it on october 22 and upgrade

unless you find a problem with ur hardware or software thats not compatible with 7
Score
August 3, 2009 11:20:38 PM

Duesouth said:

install it at own risk.

xp mode sun, or just run in compatibility mode for xp
Score
August 3, 2009 11:21:33 PM

thanks alot for all your help
loving windows 7
cant wait till it comes out !!!
Score
August 3, 2009 11:25:51 PM

glad to no that we cud help
Score
!