Security webcam triggered by phone's wifi signal?

supern0va

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Maybe one of you will know if this exists already. I googled but so far nothing usable.
I want to hook up a webcam to my pc and use it as surveillance for my appartment.
I've done this before, triggering the cam recording by motion. But if I walk into my room myself, it will record me.
So what I want to do is shut off this process when I am home. Regardless of the time of day.
Would it be possible to use trigger this when my phone's wifi signal is in range of my wireless router?

I'm sure it would be possible to create this but something off-shelf would be best of course :)

supern0va

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. Though, what you propose is something that either involves manual action or a time-based schedule. Those are things I want to avoid. That's why smartphone wifi seems like a good option: you carry your own private on/off 'beacon' with you.

I have a htpc that doubles as an FTP server. It is on 24/7 so the need for an active pc is not a problem.

webranger14

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Camcloud has global a motion detection setting that you can enable/disable. It requires some manual intervention of course, but I think that's about as good as you're going to get right now. Might be awhile before you can find a system that enables that via a particular wifi signal.