Sign in with
Your question

Packard Bell notebook 'dots' recovery problem

Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2013 12:33:17 PM

Hi, I have a new 'dots' notebook and am trying to create a backup. The problem is with the software, where you select the destination for the backup is 'greyed out' so nothing can be selected. I have plugged in an optical drive, and it has access to a network drive. Both these appear in 'my computer', but nothing is available in the backup menu. Any ideas please?
Many thanks, Andy
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 4:05:29 PM

If "greyed out" it usually means that type of device is not supported as a backup device using that particular backup software.

You didn't say what backup software you are trying to use, but it's possible that you may have to use an external hard drive as the backup device. They plug into a USB port which most backup applications support. In fact I've yet to see a backup application which doesn't support USB storage devices. The backup software built in to Windows 7 definitely does because I've used it with one myself. An external hard drive is the thing you need for backups (preferably two in case one fails).
m
l
January 19, 2013 6:19:53 PM

Hi, Thank you for your help, but I have managed to sort this out myself now. It appears the backup (an integral part of the supplied OS) ONLY supports USB media. Is does not see the network drive I was trying to use, (even although the PC itself lists it). I tried an external USB HD but as it warns you it will overwrite the contents of my 320 gig drive, I decided to abort this procedure and ordered a 32 gig USB drive for this purpose. I have now completed the backup. Thanks.
m
l
!