G

I went to a launch in Brisbane of the P4 processor, It was said that intel spent $43 billion in developing the cpu, I would have thought that they would have spent at least $100,000 telling thier staff about it, they knew less than nothing, I asked why all results showed the P4 slower than AMD's in everything except SSE apps and Quake 3, didnt know that, Also asked why, if the P4 was so good, that there was talk of the P5 already, didnt know that either, Asked why P4's only supported RDRam,they said that the cpu's shipped with the ram and it was unlikely that people would need any more, the P4 1.4mhz will come with 128m, which is hardly enough, Im running 128m on a 266 sys I have, and RDRam will be horrendously expensive out here, They also said that Intel are working on DDR support for the P4 and it should be available in about 12 months, by which time the P5 will probably be out, either that or AMD will be so far ahead it wont matter,After the launch I have serious worries about intel, The market needs them to be strong, the last thing anyone wants is AMD to become complacent like intel did

G

I think it's standard practice for these people to play ignorant when they are confronted by someone asking embarrassing questions about a product they are trying to support. When you know you can't give a good reponse then just play stupid-- "oh really, I wasn't aware of that. I'm going to take a look into that one."

I don't think we have to worry about AMD becoming complacent -- I think we have to worry about Intel getting tired of AMD nipping at their heels all the time and then Intel gets fedup takes them over/buys them out -- then Intel becomes even more complacent.

I've seen stranger things happen.

Take Care.
Yes,I know I'm immature, but my goal is insanity!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think the new chip will actually be named a P5. It's still just a P4, but at a .13micron etching instead of a .18. So it should have penty of room for extra components in the same die size. If anything, it will be the P4 as the engineers had designed it instead of the hacked-up oddity that the Willamette(sp?) is.

And when that happens, you better believe it'll blow what we know as the P4 out of the water and into tiny bits, because it won't have only half of the FPU it was meant to have anymore.

As for anyone having to worry about AMD going complacent, first AMD has to actually prove that they are better than Intel in EVERY market before anyone can even start worrying about that. Honestly, I don't see AMD as likely to ever accomplish this. They make fast chips with a good FPU. But so far they haven't proven that they can do anything more than copy a P3 architecture and improve on a design that was already growing long in the tooth when they did come out with the Athlon. We have yet to see AMD do anything truely original.

Meanwhile, now that AMD has shocked Intel into action by actually providing decent competition, Intel is coming out with some very interesting components and proving again why they're still on top.

My only worry is that if AMD's Hammers aren't just as interesting as Intel's P4 and Itanium are, then AMD is going to go back to just producing cheap clones and we'll lose the competition that has making the PC world actually interesting.

I don't think we have to worry about Intel buying out AMD though. Either AMD will remain strong enough to avoid that occurance, or they'll fail somehow and become so minimal of a threat to Intel that Intel just won't care about their existance anymore. Either way, they won't be bought out. I'm hoping for the former myself. :)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

i just skimmed a little article on the new p4 "northwood" and it hinted that it will be SMT capable. i'm not really sure what this is. it said something about enabling multiple cpu's on the same chip to act as one. does this mean 2 processors or is this alluding to multiple fpu's.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont believe it, sounds like AMD propoganda to me.

People talking of P5?? you mean itanium?

If they were showing off the .13 micro version of the P4 then you prob stuck your foot in your mouth about any and all test vs it since no one has done benchmarks with it @ .13 other than Intel themselves and a handfull of OEM's who are building 3rd party mobo's.

G

smt is really really cool. you only have one cpu, but it acts as multiple cpu's (2, in the northwoods case), this means that the processor can process more data while its waiting for the subsystem to catch up, helping eliminate bottlenecks. i dont really know too much about it cos every article ive started reading about it gets really boring. but suffice to say, itll be cool.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: cape does not enable user to fly.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with you completely. AMD has had Intel in a reaction mode, throwing out products that were not ready, or were pushed beyond their limits (remember the 1.13 ghz?). It is a shame that the P4 was released as it was, crippled, with many major features left out.

It is hard to say how well future AMD products will fare. It sounds like they are on the right track, with their next 64 bit processor capable of running 32 bit apps as fast as current x86 processors (according to AMD, anyway).

If not for AMD we would not have much more then a 500mhz P2 or P3. Intel sat on their laurels, and was shocked by the Athlon.

Whether you like AMD or not, they jumpstarted the race to 1Ghz, forcing Intel to respond, and hopefully will force Intel to come out with a great chip at a competitive price. We all win this way, whether you buy AMD or Intel.

Besides, I own stock in both companies, and have taken a beating with Intel. I want (need) them to recover. Time to get on the AMD bandwagon, while their stock is still under 25.

G

Thanks for your comments guys, Its good to have a discussion about things without it being hijacked by someone trying to boost post counts, reminds me why I came here in the first place.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, i guess wusy just hasn't found this thread yet :)

Competition is always good, and although I love my t-bird, i'll be one of the first to toss it when intel provides a better chip for less money, or cyrix for that matter :)

....ok, so i won't "toss it", but it won't be my primary system.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AMD definately caught Intel with their butts in a rut. I've been greatly enjoying the battle between the two companies for faster chips at lower prices.

Of course, it also pissed me off because had AMD not come along my P1-133 would have only been marginally slow today. But because of the competition it's just completely antiquated. There are systems for less today that would run benchmarks easily twenty times faster. I didn't pay two grand for it way back when just to have it so rapidly outdated.

But hey, I like the new clock speeds and all they they allow software to do, so I'm in a state of mixed annoyance and pleasure. Mostly pleasure though. I can always buy a new system. :)

But the new stuff from Intel looks like it's going to severely whack AMD upside the head. The 1.13GHz P3 and the P4 were rushed and made us all laugh at Intel. But the Northwood sounds like the exact opposite and so supremely advanced over a P3 that we might as well just turn a P3 into the low-end system that the Celeron is now.

AMD is going to suffer badly if the Northwood is even half as good as it sounds. They'll totally lose their 32bit sector because (as far as I've heard) all that they're offering there are the .13micron upgrades of their Athlon and Duron, while the Northwood will just rock AMD's 32bit chips into the low-end sector along with Intel's .13micron P3.

I think AMD's only hope is that Intel won't push as hard into the 64bit sector. So AMD will reign with 64bit chips while Intel rocks the 32bit world. But I'm not seeing any significant signs of 32bit life from AMD, and that scares me. Especially since there are already other 64bit chips, so it isn't like AMD could gain a large hold on that sector anyway.

Why does that scare me? Because Intel IS working on 64bit chips as well. And they're bound to be just as advanced as the Northwood. And if Intel can even match AMD in the 64bit market and totally crush AMD's 32bit market, then AMD is going to lose a LOT of new customers. And if that happens, AMD will eventually turn into just another 'Pentium Clone' like Cyrix.

And if that happens, we'll lose this competition that has breathed so much life into the computer world.

And on another note, what I don't understand in the least is why people seem to think that the 64bit chips will run 32bit applications any slower than a 32bit chip. When we changed from 16bit chips to 32bit chips did we see ANY performance degridation? Not a bit. Why should 64bit ramping be ANY different from that?

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You need to pull your head out of Intel's arse. Do you wack your peepee at night to images of Intel chips?

Northwood, Crapwood, whatever it's called aint gonna whack AMD upside the head. You might be whacking yourself to a Northwood but that's about all the whacking that's gonna happen.

You don't know squat about AMD or the innovations they've brought to this industry. Aside from making chips that run x86 code, they haven't cloned a Intel chip since the 486. If you want a run down of AMD innovations, some that even Intel has copied, let me know.

And why would AMD reign in the 64-bit world and not the 32-bit world. The Hammer chips, both the Claw and Sledge varieties, will have the best of both worlds, being able to run both 32-bit and 64-bit x86 code with equal aplomb. If anything, people will buy the AMD Hammer chips over the P4 because of their ability to run 64-bit software, even if people have no need for a 64-bit capable processor.

Also, AMD and the Athlon aren't going to be crushed anytime soon. The Thoroughbred version of Athlon will be capable of hitting at least 2.4GHz. The Athlon scales better, performance wise, than Intel's hacked off abortion processor P4. As long as the Athlon stays within 500MHz of the P4 they remain competitive. Since the Athlon has plenty of room to grow still, it gives AMD plenty of time to ready the Hammer chips, with which Intel will have a hard time competing with, regardless of what Intel does with the P4 or Itanic.

Your rosey outlook for Intel is extremely optimistic and very naive if I must say so.

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Try as we might you will never predict the future! I don't think we have to worry that much about one breaking away from each other, not anytime soon. AMD is working on some really cool stuff like the hypertransport read up on it http://www.amd.com/news/prodpr/21042.html

And I am sure that Intel is doing it's own thing. The other nice thing is that AMD chips will soon support SSE2 that will be nice to see how well they support it vs intel. I don't get why some people get so upset over these two companies. Hey they both make great products.

I am disappointed with intel for releasing the p4 with out dual support.

When the hell is AMD going to finally do it?

Bottom line is that both companies have made huge mistakes in the road that has brought them here both will make more but look at the great strides these companies have made. Have you guys looked at clock speeds lately?

I have a dual p3 800
and a Tbird 1Ghz

both serve their purpose but I do love my gigy

G

Lets not forget how good intel used to be, early on in the piece when they still didnt really have much competition they brought out some really good stuff, Its intels own fault that they became complacent and let AMD take over the large share of the market that they now enjoy, The Africans have a saying, You can look at a sleeping elephant, or sneak around it, but dont wake it up, Intel was a sleeping elephant, and they have been well and truly woken up by AMD, it should be interesting to see what happens

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is that what YOU do with an amd box? be careful you might burn your pp, Innovations? haha, Amd has no innovations! K6(intel knock-off)K7(Alpha knock-off, courtesy of the FTC)

the ONLY innovation they came up with was to devalue their own chips and undercut Intel!

IBM, Motorola, DEC, Intel, Sun, and Others are innovators Amd is not on that list!

"Amd cpu...Gone in -60 secs!"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What a Mexican. Do a little research before you make up your might to come in here and ramble on about shitz.

LOL AMD NO INNOVATIONS ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do you think, they stole their FPU from intel? LOL! NEVER!!!!!! Why the hell would they take something of intels which sucks and use it for their products? They actually want to make good products and not just go on an advertising spree to make money. What does intel make?! wates of silicon that they claim is awsome but actually is equal to crap.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Expect to see future processors released like the P4.

Remember the P3 @ 1.13, remember they shipped few parts to select crowd, problem was found and units never shipped in full volume. well...

It would have been stupid to do a .13 micron release and not tested the CPU and had developers making apps, drivers and adjustments to applications before its release.

I guess none of you idiots cannot realize that doing a "pre release" to work out bugs is a option.

But then again, your an idiot and its the best you can come up with.

I like the "software simulation" that AMD is doing. thats much more realistic.. AHAHAHAHAHAHA

WTG AMD. let alone AMD did not write the simulator.

AMD has no innovations Grzely1, AMD has survived off prodcting a less than 100% compatable CPU. AMD cannot claim 100% compatable, GG

stole the FPU from Alpha??

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pre-release? What other products did Intel pre-release? The 810? The 820? Nonsense. Intel reacted to AMD and simply pushed the P3 beyond its limits. If not for Tom's Hardware finding the problem, Intel would have been embarrassed further as they would have ramped up production.

AMD's marketshare with the home hobbyist is on the rise. How could this be so if their products are not compatible?

FUGGER, calm down. Your posts still sound like a child having a tantrum.

By the way, your statement "your an idiot" should be "you're" or "you are". Don't call people names until you take a close look in the mirror.

Are FUGGER and AMDMELTDOWN the same person? Sounds like it from the tone of their tantrums.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks mavis beacon (jlbigguy) for the lesson in spelling. maybe you should filter all the threads and fix spelling as a full time job since you do it so well. most people would never been able to understand that without you correcting me. Thanks again and please keep up the spelling checks on a hourly basis.

I am calm. maybe you get a little worked up reading. heh. more like you whine like a baby.

Pre-release might not be the right way to put it.
Intel got the chips into developers hands before releasing a huge change in the architecture. I hope you can understand that and not try to compare it with anything else like the i820 or your dog spot.

WE ALL KNOW the P4 is about to change die size, pin count, FPU, cache, and more. no secret there (at least you can test apps and program on it NOW) unlike the software simulated hammer, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AMD is not 100% compatable. is that hard to understand. AMD cannot put 100% compatable on anything due to the fact that its not and never will be.

its not just me saying that, its a fact.

I can use your, cuz, prob, mobo, aint, yall, or whatever slang I want. Im 100% positive you understand me.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not even going to dignify the posts of certain immature people by replying to them. Obviously they have absolutely no ability to hold an intellectual conversation. So they shall be promptly ignored.

I would like to say that AMD has had absolutely no innovative original concepts in their designs, EVER.

The AMD chips running at a double-pumped bus? DDR SDRAM / RDRAM had it first.

The AMD chips using their superior FPU... What do you think the point of the Alpha chips were?

I could go on about their theoretical multi-chip system communications methods, but those aren't new either.

Then there is their specialized chip programming language to speed up applications that use it ... nope, not original either.

What does AMD have that hadn't been done or proposed by someone else before them? Really, I'd like to know. Go ahead anyone and list as many as possible.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not making fun of AMD. They've managed to take other people's ideas and implement them to make a pretty darn good chip. But all that proves is that they can take something that someone else did and improve on it.

People praise AMD for making a chip better than the P3. Well look at how much later the Athlons came out. It'd have taken a complete loser of a company to NOT make a chip better than the P3. People would have laughed at them for decades if that had. After all, look at Cyrix.

Making a new product that is better than an old product isn't anything to praise. It's just common sense, and to do anything less is to deserve judgement. I judge Intel for their Willamette. It deserves some negative comments. But at the same time, it at least had a lot of innovation, so it doesn't deserve only harsh criticism, because it does have a lot of interesting points to it that will benefit future chips.

Meanwhile, what does AMD give us that is innovative and original?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Heh, actually he said 1.4 mhz. You said 1.4 MHz. A 1.4 MHz processor would kill a 1.4 mhz processor any day.

M = Mega = 1 000 000
m = milli = 1/1000

A 5 year old with a pen an paper would work faster than a 1.4 mhz cpu. lol.

Why do I even try?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the only reason Amd got the Alpha technology is because the FTC handed it to them, I'm 100% certain that DEC would've not wanted that!

G

AMDMeltdown, you flaming idiot. Aside from running x86 code, the K6 was no Intel knockoff. I don't recall Intel implementing RISC86 in any of their processors. The K6 came from Nexgen, and was an orginal design. The K7 is basically a K6 on steroids, again, having little in common with Intel chips aside from running x86 code. And what the hell is this crap about the FTC handing the Alpha to AMD? Pull your head out, boy, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you Intel droids know the deffinition of innovation? AMD has outpatented Intel by hundreds of patents the last two years. Shall I point out some particular, very innovative patents that will be finding their way into upcoming products? All of this coming from a company with a fraction of the R&D spending of Intel. Hmmm, where are all those Intel R&D billions going?

Intelmeltdown, how about sharing the particulars of the Alpha technology that got handed to AMD. AMD licensed the EV6 bus from Compaq, and the Athlons lead designer, Dirk Meyer, was part of the Alpha team. Nothing got handed to AMD. And, aside from the FPU of the Athlon being a strong performer, it bares little resemblence to the FPU in the Alpha.

Lets talk about the P6 architecture and how Intel stole the design from the Russians. Or we can also talk about the Motorola engineers that Intel hijacked from Mot.

Lets talk about EPIC, the Itanic, and how HP handed the technology, as crappy as it is, to Intel. Apparently Intel can't design a new architecture. They tried back in 1989 and, well, it didn't succeed. Do you even know what I'm refering to?

Lets talk about P4, and how Intel marketing is going to ensure that all the bozos of this world will buy it, with help from idiots like you, because of it's high clock speed. And don't even get me started on RAMBUST!

"Intel Inside, Idiot Outside"

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>The K6 came from Nexgen,

wow, a knock off from a knock off!

>AMD has outpatented Intel by hundreds of patents the last two years.

show me the numbers, 'cause here are mine!!!

<A HREF="http://techlawjournal.com/atr/80427intc.htm" target="_new">Amd's little handme down</A>

<A HREF="http://techlawjournal.com/agencies/ftc-intc/80427agr.htm" target="_new">The Court Order</A>

read 'em and weep!

you can talk all you want about Intel this Intel that, I know everything Intel does! I visit <A HREF="http://www.faceintel.com" target="_new">Face Intel</A>.

Intel is always trying new tech with willing partners, not handme downs by the courts.

Also everyone has stolen something from the Russians, look at NASA!!! (but then again the Russians stole from the aliens or was it the US?)