Windows install driver issue

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2013 1:31:46 PM

Hello,
I am installing windows 7 onto my new machine with a CD. I get an error that many people seem to be getting:
"A required CD/DVD driver device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."
Based on my specific symptoms and reading, this is a raid controller driver issue.
I have an SSD that I would like to be my boot drive and 4 spinning drives configured for RAID 5. Based on other posts, I have tried many configurations to get it to work. Configuring the SATA devices for RAID for the spinning drives only does not work. Putting the most current RAID controller drivers on a flash drive or CD doesn’t work because the windows installer doesn’t recognize the extracted drivers.
The fix that allows me to continue is to go into the BIOS and select AHCI, essentially destroying my RAID array temporarily. I can then install windows 7 on my SSD. After this, I installed all of the drivers on the machine, changed the configuration back to RAID for the 4 spinning drives only, and rebooted. Windows tries to load but crashes and reboots. The only way I can run windows is to go back to AHCI. The other thing I tried after windows is installed is to boot from the CD since the drivers are now fully up to date. The error persists anyway… Does anyone have any suggestions about why I can’t:
A) Install my drivers while running setup
B) Re-install windows properly even after RAID controller drivers are installed
C) Rebuild a RAID5 array without affecting an SSD not in the array
Thanks in advance for your help!

More about : windows install driver issue

January 9, 2013 1:36:39 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 mobo BTW, sorry about that
m
l
January 9, 2013 1:36:44 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 mobo BTW, sorry about that
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 1:56:23 PM

You should completely disconnect all the hard drives and install Windows on the SSD with the BIOS set to RAID. Then, when completely updated, you can re-connect the hard drives and set up your array.
m
l
January 9, 2013 2:24:57 PM

zdbc13 said:
You should completely disconnect all the hard drives and install Windows on the SSD with the BIOS set to RAID. Then, when completely updated, you can re-connect the hard drives and set up your array.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just disconnected the 4 drives, leaving only the SSD and the CD drive connected. I received the same error message. Apparently the setup wants a driver installed if the mobo is in RAID mode regardless of the physical drive configuration.
m
l
January 9, 2013 3:13:17 PM

Well, go ahead and install it in ahci mode, load all the chipset drivers, and then change to sata and get all the updates. Then hook up the hard drives and rebuild the array.
m
l
January 9, 2013 6:26:49 PM

zdbc13 said:
Well, go ahead and install it in ahci mode, load all the chipset drivers, and then change to sata and get all the updates. Then hook up the hard drives and rebuild the array.

That process does get windows 7 on the SSD and the drivers installed. However, the installed copy of windows on the SSD will not boot once you put the mobo in RAID mode rebuild the array, even if the the 4 spinning drives are not connected. Apparently you have to be in the same mode as when it was installed. This seems strange to me since the SSD's sata port never changes in this process... thoughts?
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:38:48 PM

If you know how to edit the registry try these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV change Start to 0
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 10:21:19 PM

Typically most modern motherboards that support RAID configurations natively include some form of function to enable the user to set the controller variables for each SATA port on the systemboard itself. This is beneficial because you can install the SSD with Windows on it, get it updated, and either go back and set the other 4 drives for the RAID 5 as RAID in the BIOS then or have them disabled completely in the motherboard until you get ready to build the array.

I'm going to look over the BIOS options for that board and will let you know what I find.

EDIT:

Here is what I found when looking into the BIOS:
Quote:

OnChip SATA Type (AMD SB950 South Bridge, SATA3 0~3 connectors)&&
Configures the operating mode of the integrated SATA3 0~3 controller.
Native IDE Allows the SATA controller to operate in Native IDE mode. (Default)
Enable Native IDE mode if you wish to install operating systems that support Native mode.
RAID Enables RAID for the SATA controller.
AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug.
OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type (AMD SB950 South Bridge, SATA3 4/5 connectors)&&
This option is configurable only when OnChip SATA Type is set to RAID or AHCI. Configures the operating mode of the integrated SATA3 4/5 connectors.
IDE Disables RAID for the SATA controller and configures the SATA controller to PATA mode. (Default)
As SATA Type The mode depends on the OnChip SATA Type settings.
OnChip SATA RAID5 Support (AMD SB950 South Bridge, SATA3 0~5 connectors)&&
Enables or disables RAID 5 support for the SATA controller integrated in the AMD SB950 South Bridge. This option is configurable only when OnChip SATA Type is set to RAID. (Default: Enabled)

That being said. You will have to make sure that the OnChip SATA type is set to RAID in order to get it to behave correctly.

The manual for your motherboard can be found HERE .
m
l
January 10, 2013 3:26:03 AM

Okay, I tried the registry suggestion and messed with the various SATA settings again. That did not work for this issue. However, I did notice that when re-enable the RAID5 array after windows is installed on the SSD and enter the bios, my SSD is not recognized. I have only found one thread that I think might be my issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/325308-30-crosshair-f...

The poster there mentions that the samsung 840 pro does not have this issue, but that is the model I have. I am attempting to update my SSD firmware with little luck (will try again tomorrow). I updated all drivers and I have the newest BIOS. The issue persists. The conclusion from the link above is to run SSD boot with a windows 7 software RAID... yuck... I really hope it doesn't come to that. Thanks for your suggestions thus far!
m
l
January 10, 2013 12:29:22 PM

I think if you installed Windows 7 with the SATA set to raid (without your hard drives attached) it would work all right. I think trim and everything else would be fine. Then you could add the drives and build your raid. Hope you get it figured out...
m
l
!