Buying monitor, need help!

sjin_ftw

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I need to buy a new monitor for gaming & long hours of work/ reading. I know the options and I know my needs, but I don't know which match.

Background:
GAMING: I only play MMOs, no FPS or RTS. (Specifically Guild Wars 2 and Everquest 2). I won't watch movies on this monitor. I'll be using a 3570k with either 670 or 660ti, both at stock speeds.
WORK: I spend a lot of hours web browsing and writing/typing. I'd prefer 23" or 24". Also, my eyesight sucks, so I want something that will minimize eye strain after long hours. I know LED helps with that, but what about IPS or 120hz?

My budget is negotiable if there's quality to be had.

The First Consideration:
1920x1080 or 1920x1200?
1080 seems to be the standard, but 1200 looks really attractive to me for the extra real-estate on websites and Word docs, not to mention games. Looking at "portrait" layouts on a "landscape" monitor reduces the useful viewable space. Is there any reason I shouldn't get a 1200? Will I lose the ability to max out a game like Guild Wars 2 because of that resolution?

The Second Consideration:
1. A 60 hz monitor - only if the other two are not worth the higher prices. ($200)
2. A 120 hz monitor - because I hear they are "smoothe." But does that impact MMOs enough to pay double? ($400)
3. An IPS monitor - because I hear they have nicer colors. ($300)
4. I need to get it before August 25th, so I doubt I can wait for an IPS 120hz combo unless they're going to be available relatively soon.

My picks so far:
1920x1200; An IPS monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" LED LCD Monitor - 16:10 - 8 ms ($300)
It's IPS and LED (yay!), but it's also 60hz (boo!) and 8ms (boo?) which will hurt for gaming, but is it a deal-breaker? I just don't know, which is why I'm here. Halp!

Solution
I just received my U2412M a few days ago. It may be 8ms on paper, but it has no effect on my gaming. Just as little ghosting (basically none) in the RPGs and MMOs I play vs. my HP 5ms TN from 2008. 60hz/120hz has little to no effect on gaming such as you plan to do.

I chose a 16:10 24" monitor when I discovered that a 16:9 would have no extra screen height vs. my 1680x1050 22" monitor (only 2 1/4 inches extra width). I know you lose a little information on the sides with a 1920x1200 monitor vs. a 1920x1080, but it just seems natural for viewing. 1080p monitors seem too short and wide for my eyes.

jeffredo

Distinguished
I just received my U2412M a few days ago. It may be 8ms on paper, but it has no effect on my gaming. Just as little ghosting (basically none) in the RPGs and MMOs I play vs. my HP 5ms TN from 2008. 60hz/120hz has little to no effect on gaming such as you plan to do.

I chose a 16:10 24" monitor when I discovered that a 16:9 would have no extra screen height vs. my 1680x1050 22" monitor (only 2 1/4 inches extra width). I know you lose a little information on the sides with a 1920x1200 monitor vs. a 1920x1080, but it just seems natural for viewing. 1080p monitors seem too short and wide for my eyes.

Solution

sjin_ftw

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for this info. I've been digging up info on the U2412M and while most reviewers like it, others have made some complaints about the anti-glare coating being too thick/ "dusty" looking. There are also YouTube reviews that talk about a flickering backlight.

Have you noticed either of these problems on your new monitor?

bullwinkel

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I too recently received a U2412M about a week ago. I don't think the anti-glare coating is a problem nor do I have any backlight flickering problems at any brightness. I would highly recommend the U2412M over any other monitor. For the price, I don't think there is another monitor out there that can pretty much do it all (except 3D but who likes that anyway?).

G

Hey Guys, I'm in a very similar position as OP. The lack of HDMI ports on the U2412M is a downside for me as i'd like to connect my Blu-ray player to it atm as well as possibly my xbox (just moved into a flat so the tv i was using as my gaming monitor is in the living room). Is a converter cable a decent option? I guess theres no loss of quality?

Also, what are the viewing angles like on the U2412M as its going to be functioning as my bedroom tv too, will it be suitable for watching films/tv from across the room?

I'd really appreciate any responses. Similarly to OP im aiming to have a monitor by 25th (You prepurchased GW2 too? :p)

jeffredo

Distinguished
Hey Guys, I'm in a very similar position as OP. The lack of HDMI ports on the U2412M is a downside for me as i'd like to connect my Blu-ray player to it atm as well as possibly my xbox (just moved into a flat so the tv i was using as my gaming monitor is in the living room). Is a converter cable a decent option? I guess theres no loss of quality?

Also, what are the viewing angles like on the U2412M as its going to be functioning as my bedroom tv too, will it be suitable for watching films/tv from across the room?

I'd really appreciate any responses. Similarly to OP im aiming to have a monitor by 25th (You prepurchased GW2 too? :p)

I had no issues with signal quality using a DVI to HDMI cable on my old monitor (HP w2207h - had no DVI input). The viewing angles of the Dell are fine if you're sitting right in front of it, put there is some "IPS glow" if you are looking at it from the side while a little above the monitor (I notice it when I walk into the room its in from that angle). Still, its better than any TN or MVA panel as far as viewing angles are concerned.

As far as AG coating goes, yes, its there. Still, you have to really be looking for it to be an issue (webpages or screens with lots of solid light colors - especially at night). I'm coming from a glossy monitor and it really hasn't bothered me that much. As time goes by I'm sure my eyes will adjust to it and I won't even notice it anymore (much in the same way I stopped noticing reflections after a while on my old glossy screen).

G

Ok, thank you for the response!

In terms of it being 1920x1200 does this cause issues with compatability at all? or do most games etc come with that as a resolution option?

sjin_ftw

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Does this mean the horizontal measurement is shorter than on a 16:9 24" monitor? Or do I actually lose field of vision in a game? I assume I see just as much spread over a shorter horizontal distance since both are 1920 across.

Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning heavily toward the U2412M for its stellar reviews, IPS display, and a personal preference for seeing more vertical content.