Copy .doc .xls files from/to palm Zire 72 to/from Linux

February 3, 2005 7:56:50 PM

Hi all.

I recently bought a Zire 72 and I found it as a very interesting device.
The problem that I face is to transfer .xls and .doc files from my Linux
box to my Zire (and vice versa), in order to share those files with
OpenOffice (Linux) and DocumentsToGo (Palm).
I'm using kpilot to the Linux side.
Any ideas ?

Thanks for your time,
Andrew
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:56:51 PM

serveral ways to do it.

1. use SD card between Palm and a SDcard reader on Linux box
2. get Softick PPP from Softick to establish PPP connection to your
Linux box, then
a) use lftp for Palm to transfer files, or
b) If Samba is installed on your Linux, you can use WiFiGenie to
mount Linux and copy files just like from SD card.
3. if wireless is one of your option, get Palm SD WiFi card, follow 2a)
or 2b)
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:56:51 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:56:50 +0200, Andrew Syreggelas wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I recently bought a Zire 72 and I found it as a very interesting device.
> The problem that I face is to transfer .xls and .doc files from my Linux
> box to my Zire (and vice versa), in order to share those files with
> OpenOffice (Linux) and DocumentsToGo (Palm).
> I'm using kpilot to the Linux side.
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Andrew

Easiest solution? A USB Secure Digital card reader.

Second easiest? CardExport II. It tricks your Palm into acting like a
simple SD card reader. Linux will think it is simply a USB Mass
Storage device. Turn off CardExport, and the Zire will function like
normal.

The advantages to the second option are price ($15US) and no extra
hardware. Plus, with CardExport, you can use your Zire as a mass
storage device on any Windows ME/2k/XP or Os X box, or any Linux box
that supports USB mass storage devices.

--
Derek

No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:09:40 PM

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:56:50 +0200, Andrew Syreggelas wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I recently bought a Zire 72 and I found it as a very interesting device.
>> The problem that I face is to transfer .xls and .doc files from my Linux
>> box to my Zire (and vice versa), in order to share those files with
>> OpenOffice (Linux) and DocumentsToGo (Palm).
>> I'm using kpilot to the Linux side.
>> Any ideas ?
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>> Andrew
>
> Easiest solution? A USB Secure Digital card reader.
>
> Second easiest? CardExport II. It tricks your Palm into acting like a
> simple SD card reader. Linux will think it is simply a USB Mass
> Storage device. Turn off CardExport, and the Zire will function like
> normal.
>
> The advantages to the second option are price ($15US) and no extra
> hardware. Plus, with CardExport, you can use your Zire as a mass
> storage device on any Windows ME/2k/XP or Os X box, or any Linux box
> that supports USB mass storage devices.

The latest version of pilot-link (currently in beta testing) is
supposed to be able to support accessing data on SD cards, so it's
possible that this can be supported

<http://www.pilot-link.org/node/129&gt;

The first mentioned new feature:

"- VFS support for reading and writing to external storage media, such
as MemoryStick and SD/MMC cards. We haven't yet worked out how to
create or remove/rename directories, so you can only install files to
the main root directory for now. More robust functionality will come
soon"

Big caveat:

"STRONG WARNING: Do not install this release into a public location if
you use a graphical application to sync your Palm device, such as
J-Pilot or Evolution. While this release is stable, those applications
have not been fully ported to the new code found in pilot-link 0.12.0,
and they will cause problems. One main purpose for this pre-release is
to get the code out there into developer hands, so they can begin the
short porting process to move their code to our new API found in
0.12.0, and hopefully through the next few major releases."

It's not really so much a question of "graphical capabilities" as it
is of what essentially amounts to embedding pilot-link into those
applications. The new version may be stable enough in and of itself,
but people that are blindly using applications that embed it probably
don't know that they're using it and won't have any concept of what to
do if something 'goes bump.'
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/pims.html

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:02:28 -0600, Derek wrote:

> Easiest solution? A USB Secure Digital card reader.

Or just use pilot-xfer -D /Palm/

> Second easiest? CardExport II. It tricks your Palm into acting like a
> simple SD card reader. Linux will think it is simply a USB Mass Storage
> device. Turn off CardExport, and the Zire will function like normal.

Neither of these really solve the problem, and that is that these
documents need to be converted to be used by DocsToGo on the device (I
believe the T5 has a version of DocsToGo that can read "real" Microsoft
Office files on external storage, but his Zire cannot).

To that end, there is nothing in Linux or the Free Software space
that can transpose the Microsoft Office formatted documents into a format
that the proprietary DocsToGo Palm application can read.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:28:56 PM

Derek wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:56:50 +0200, Andrew Syreggelas wrote:
>

>>Hi all.
>>
>>I recently bought a Zire 72 and I found it as a very interesting device.
>>The problem that I face is to transfer .xls and .doc files from my Linux
>>box to my Zire (and vice versa), in order to share those files with
>>OpenOffice (Linux) and DocumentsToGo (Palm).
>>I'm using kpilot to the Linux side.
>>Any ideas ?
>>
>>Thanks for your time,
>>Andrew
>

> Easiest solution? A USB Secure Digital card reader.
>
> Second easiest? CardExport II. It tricks your Palm into acting like a
> simple SD card reader. Linux will think it is simply a USB Mass
> Storage device. Turn off CardExport, and the Zire will function like
> normal.

I tried a demo version of CardExport II without lack. The Linux it was
unable to recognize the Zire as a mass storage USB device.

> The advantages to the second option are price ($15US) and no extra
> hardware. Plus, with CardExport, you can use your Zire as a mass
> storage device on any Windows ME/2k/XP or Os X box, or any Linux box
> that supports USB mass storage devices.

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:28:57 PM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:28:56 +0200, Andrew Syreggelas wrote:

> Derek wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:56:50 +0200, Andrew Syreggelas wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all.
>>>
>>>I recently bought a Zire 72 and I found it as a very interesting device.
>>>The problem that I face is to transfer .xls and .doc files from my Linux
>>>box to my Zire (and vice versa), in order to share those files with
>>>OpenOffice (Linux) and DocumentsToGo (Palm).
>>>I'm using kpilot to the Linux side.
>>>Any ideas ?
>>>
>>>Thanks for your time,
>>>Andrew
>>

>> Easiest solution? A USB Secure Digital card reader.
>>
>> Second easiest? CardExport II. It tricks your Palm into acting like a
>> simple SD card reader. Linux will think it is simply a USB Mass
>> Storage device. Turn off CardExport, and the Zire will function like
>> normal.
>
> I tried a demo version of CardExport II without lack. The Linux it was
> unable to recognize the Zire as a mass storage USB device.

Hence the reason I added the sentence at the bottom of the next
paragraph.

>> The advantages to the second option are price ($15US) and no extra
>> hardware. Plus, with CardExport, you can use your Zire as a mass
>> storage device on any Windows ME/2k/XP or Os X box, or any Linux box
>> that supports USB mass storage devices.

Does the Linux box recognize other USB mass storage drives?

--
Derek

"Almost every time the Church has achieved earthly power, it has
managed to shoot itself in the foot." -- Chuck Coleson
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:30:11 PM

Christopher Browne wrote:
> Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:56:50 +0200, Andrew Syreggelas wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all.
>>>
>>>I recently bought a Zire 72 and I found it as a very interesting device.
>>>The problem that I face is to transfer .xls and .doc files from my Linux
>>>box to my Zire (and vice versa), in order to share those files with
>>>OpenOffice (Linux) and DocumentsToGo (Palm).
>>>I'm using kpilot to the Linux side.
>>>Any ideas ?
>>>
>>>Thanks for your time,
>>>Andrew
>>
>>Easiest solution? A USB Secure Digital card reader.
>>
>>Second easiest? CardExport II. It tricks your Palm into acting like a
>>simple SD card reader. Linux will think it is simply a USB Mass
>>Storage device. Turn off CardExport, and the Zire will function like
>>normal.
>>
>>The advantages to the second option are price ($15US) and no extra
>>hardware. Plus, with CardExport, you can use your Zire as a mass
>>storage device on any Windows ME/2k/XP or Os X box, or any Linux box
>>that supports USB mass storage devices.
>

> The latest version of pilot-link (currently in beta testing) is
> supposed to be able to support accessing data on SD cards, so it's
> possible that this can be supported
>
> <http://www.pilot-link.org/node/129&gt;

I read that and I'll give a try to that new vesrion.
Thanks for your answer.

> The first mentioned new feature:
>
> "- VFS support for reading and writing to external storage media, such
> as MemoryStick and SD/MMC cards. We haven't yet worked out how to
> create or remove/rename directories, so you can only install files to
> the main root directory for now. More robust functionality will come
> soon"
>
> Big caveat:
>
> "STRONG WARNING: Do not install this release into a public location if
> you use a graphical application to sync your Palm device, such as
> J-Pilot or Evolution. While this release is stable, those applications
> have not been fully ported to the new code found in pilot-link 0.12.0,
> and they will cause problems. One main purpose for this pre-release is
> to get the code out there into developer hands, so they can begin the
> short porting process to move their code to our new API found in
> 0.12.0, and hopefully through the next few major releases."
>
> It's not really so much a question of "graphical capabilities" as it
> is of what essentially amounts to embedding pilot-link into those
> applications. The new version may be stable enough in and of itself,
> but people that are blindly using applications that embed it probably
> don't know that they're using it and won't have any concept of what to
> do if something 'goes bump.'
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:32:19 PM

David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:02:28 -0600, Derek wrote:
>

>>Easiest solution? A USB Secure Digital card reader.
>

> Or just use pilot-xfer -D /Palm/
>

>>Second easiest? CardExport II. It tricks your Palm into acting like a
>>simple SD card reader. Linux will think it is simply a USB Mass Storage
>>device. Turn off CardExport, and the Zire will function like normal.
>

> Neither of these really solve the problem, and that is that these
> documents need to be converted to be used by DocsToGo on the device (I
> believe the T5 has a version of DocsToGo that can read "real" Microsoft
> Office files on external storage, but his Zire cannot).

Zire 72 came with a version of DTG (6.0) that is capable to read/write
real MSOffice files.

> To that end, there is nothing in Linux or the Free Software space
> that can transpose the Microsoft Office formatted documents into a format
> that the proprietary DocsToGo Palm application can read.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:02:22 PM

Derek wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:28:56 +0200, Andrew Syreggelas wrote:
>

>>Derek wrote:

>>>Easiest solution? A USB Secure Digital card reader.
>>>
>>>Second easiest? CardExport II. It tricks your Palm into acting like a
>>>simple SD card reader. Linux will think it is simply a USB Mass
>>>Storage device. Turn off CardExport, and the Zire will function like
>>>normal.
>>
>>I tried a demo version of CardExport II without lack. The Linux it was
>>unable to recognize the Zire as a mass storage USB device.
>

> Hence the reason I added the sentence at the bottom of the next
> paragraph.
>

>>>The advantages to the second option are price ($15US) and no extra
>>>hardware. Plus, with CardExport, you can use your Zire as a mass
>>>storage device on any Windows ME/2k/XP or Os X box, or any Linux box
>>>that supports USB mass storage devices.
>

> Does the Linux box recognize other USB mass storage drives?

I have a USB key that is perfectly function with my Linux box.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:02:23 PM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:02:22 +0200, Andrew Syreggelas wrote:

> Derek wrote:

[snip]

>> Does the Linux box recognize other USB mass storage drives?
>
> I have a USB key that is perfectly function with my Linux box.

Well then. It appears that SoftTick's claims of Linux support may be a
bit exaggerated.

Of course, since Linux has so many different configurations, it's
possible that CardExport II will work with some "flavors", but not
with others.

Either way, that's a bummer to find out.

--
Derek

Your role may be thankless, but if you're willing to give it your all,
you just might bring success to those who outlast you.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:45:38 PM

Derek wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:02:22 +0200, Andrew Syreggelas wrote:
>

>>Derek wrote:
>

> [snip]
>

>>>Does the Linux box recognize other USB mass storage drives?
>>
>>I have a USB key that is perfectly function with my Linux box.
>

> Well then. It appears that SoftTick's claims of Linux support may be a
> bit exaggerated.
>
> Of course, since Linux has so many different configurations, it's
> possible that CardExport II will work with some "flavors", but not
> with others.
>
> Either way, that's a bummer to find out.

Anyway, thanks for your time. I'm waiting for the new pilot-link and I'm
using now the 'ftp' method. It's not so easy to use, but it works...
!