[Crawl] What are those pseudo-(weapon)enchantments?

Every once in while, when I read an unID'd scroll, I get a message like
this (example): "Your +0 hand axe glows mottled mauve for a moment".
Messages like this are relatively common, but I never found what they
mean. Sounds like an enchantment somehow, but there isn't (not visible
at least). What happens here?

tia
Rubinstein

P.S.: Sorry for not testing this newsreader before posting, just too
lazy. Hope, the MID is correct and it's not posted in html...
3 answers Last reply
More about crawl pseudo weapon enchantments
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Rubinstein wrote:

    > Every once in while, when I read an unID'd scroll, I get a message like
    > this (example): "Your +0 hand axe glows mottled mauve for a moment".
    > Messages like this are relatively common, but I never found what they
    > mean. Sounds like an enchantment somehow, but there isn't (not visible
    > at least). What happens here?

    That particular one is a scroll of random uselessness I beliece.

    --
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
    -- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963).

    Graeme Dice <grdice@sasktel.net.NOSPAM> wrote in message news:<W6rgd.52006$%k.50748@pd7tw2no>...
    > That particular one is a scroll of random uselessness I believe.

    Exactly. Any time a scroll causes your weapon to glow anything other
    than either green (To-Hit) or red (Damage) is a scroll of random
    uselessness.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Z80 wrote:
    > Graeme Dice <grdice@sasktel.net.NOSPAM> wrote in message news:<W6rgd.52006$%k.50748@pd7tw2no>...
    >
    >>That particular one is a scroll of random uselessness I believe.
    >

    > Exactly. Any time a scroll causes your weapon to glow anything other
    > than either green (To-Hit) or red (Damage) is a scroll of random
    > uselessness.

    Not exactly. Bright yellow is enchant weapon III, and there's another
    coloud for vorpalization.

    --
    Moses led the Hebrew slaves to the Red Sea, where they made unleavened
    bread which is bread made without any ingredients. Moses went up on

Games Video Games