p3 overclocking question

G

a friend of mine wants to overclock his system ( p3 450 slot 1 on an asus p3b-s 44bx i think.)
the problem that he is running into is the multiplier in the bios for the fsb is the only thing he can adjust. no matter what he sets the smaller # to 3,3.5 4 etc... it always boots as 4.5 , so when he ups the fsb from 100 to 105 the system reads as a 472 and runs stable, but if he goes 115 or 110 it becomes unstable , ( obviosly the memory cant take it( pny generic 128 module).
he would like to try some mushkin cas2 rev 3 memory @ 150 mhz and boot at 150 x 3 to achievee a faster 450.
so my question is how do we unlock the cpu? he says 18 months ago when he put the system together he remembered reading something about intel locking the multiplier and feels this is his problem. is it? there must be away to run his set up at 150 mhz fsb.
as i am writing this i realize that i will have to do the same on asus's sight its prob... common knowledge huh?
well if any of you out there have done this or run into this before i sure would appreciate any tips or advice that you might be willing to offer.
thanx in advance.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the multiplerers are locked and there is no way as of yet to unlock them

so if your mother board and cpu can handel a 150 mhz fsb then the computer will be runing at 4.5 *150 = 675 but i haven't heard of any people reaching at this speed you may run it problems with the speed of the pci slots

i think your best bet would not get new ram and get the fast procsser you mb can handel with a 100 mhz fsb
it will be alot easier then overclock the 450
i'm not sure if that mother board can support a copppermine core proccser so somebody else teel these guys please