[Crawl] This is... interesting...

I just found out that a Lich can't cast Summon Horrible Things. Why
not?

This is a little bothersome because I have to wait for the
transformation to end before I can summon any new ones.

And why does it detract the Mana when it tells me "You cannot cast
that spell in your current form!"?

(Btw, I'd still like to know whether a ring of regeneration works
for Lichs, and what about the mutation?)

--
Tina the Chopper - a High Priest of the Resilient Necromantic Gem

In article <MSGID_2=3A240=2F2199.13=40fidonet_2a0aa6fb@fidonet.org>,
Tina Hall <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote:
// I just found out that a Lich can't cast Summon Horrible Things. Why
// not?

Undead brains aren't tasty.

// This is a little bothersome because I have to wait for the
// transformation to end before I can summon any new ones.

You could just turn the transformation off if you really want to
summon some.

// And why does it detract the Mana when it tells me "You cannot cast
// that spell in your current form!"?

Because work was already done... failure tests made, and exercise will
happen. It's the exact same thing that happens when you try to abort
or botch the targeting of conjuration. All part of the spagetti code.
Just think of it as being extra realism... if you forget you can't cast
it, you go through all the motions and costs and it simply fizzles.

// (Btw, I'd still like to know whether a ring of regeneration works
// for Lichs, and what about the mutation?)

You could easily test that by putting on a ring when damaged and
counting the rate of recovery and comparing between forms.

Brent Ross