Command prompt window appears and disappears even when i am doing other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiva20587

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello,
Command prompt window appears and disappears , I mean it runs itself,it opens up and closes as quickly as it popped up,it happens while I surf the internet or leave the computer idle for sometime. Is this a sign of some kind of malware?? I scan my computer regularly with microsoft essentials and later I switched to kaspersky, I never found any virus. I use windows 7 OS.

dingo07

Distinguished
if you do "shady" things on the internet, then you could of course be infected. keep Task Manager open to the Processes tab and monitor it to see what's popping in or out when the CP appears. If you can't figure it out, a fresh install of windows after deleting the partition it's on is the only way to be 100% clean.

shiva20587

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hi,I have one more question ,
if some malware is behind this,why my anti virus programs did not work??
Is there any way of knowing that it is the work of malware, I mean I can re-install my OS but I just want to know if there is any other option?

Thanks.

zdbc13

Distinguished
Which anti-virus are you using? Update it and run a full scan. Then download malwarebytes and update it and run a full scan. Do this before you re-install windows to find out what is going on with your system. You might not even have to do a full install...

Raul_McCai

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
This happens on my Win7 installation too never saw it until i rebuilt my pc with all new hardware and the same Win7 home premium retail.

I prefer the government spying answer. It's more fun than simple updates.

I don't see anything like it on my linnux box.

I have my PC configured so that all the drives come in and out of the bays in the front. I swap drives with different OS so my computer is leaving the same unique CPU identifier behind no matter the OS in play.

poongaar

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

This is perhaps now a very old problem which people may have solved.
However, it is any help, I found one possible solution - this is specific to a Windows 8.1 update.
If you take a screenshot of the flashing command prompt window at the moment it flashes, you get to know which file is running along with its location.
The file which I encountered is prcctr32.exe
It is located in c:\users\<username>\local\appdata\PRX\prcctr32.exe.
(This may be different for others, and even more so for Windows 7...may be).

Since this is a local app, I simply deleted the PRX folder and the flashing problem stopped. If the folder does not get fully deleted, and some .dll files remain, don't worry. Delete the rest and restart. Good chance that the folder 'PRX' will get deleted on its own when you restart.

A system analysis indicates that this is some kind of a trojan file, but I am not sure.
Microsoft is silent about it, so it may be a bug in the 8.1 update.

Hope this is helpful.
Please comment if there is a better solution.
Cheers!

Tektom

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

I just did a screen capture and found out what mine was. It is the blackberry link peer manager which is part of the Blackberry 10 desktop software. I'm uninstalling the blackberry software now since I had just installed this for checking other people's phones since I have a android phone.

research-in-motion-tunnel-manager.png

StillShotShock

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
It just happened to me and it was too quick for me to hit print screen. One word I caught when it was loading though is "Roaming". Not sure if that helps since it shows up at random times.

Olly_1

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

dalecfp

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015

Mine does the same thing... sometimes multiple times a day.

LordSparxx

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I saw mine happen at exactly 12AM and i would think it was an update. Does the cmd section of windows have a log file. I am always thinking I am getting peered so I would like to know if things are going on. If something did update would i look in the log file config file services or some sort of bat file. please advise a logical progression of scouting procedures? thank you in advance.

Dhard45

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I stupidly downloaded a torrent file and got a virus with it. I tried to remove everything, and thought I did. all that remains is this command prompt pop-up problem, it makes every game minimize when it does this. I've tried screen capturing, I've looked in task scheduler, I've tried searching for it, but it's still happening. I'm running windows 10, and I would really like it if someone could help me

Shauna30

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.