Router (MN-700) gets crazy if exercised

Hi,

If I use the provider's internet connection bandwidth too much (like seeing
live TV or downloading something big from the internet) for an extended
period of time, the base station gets crazy and services stop working.

Usually the admin website is the first to go, then the Wireless
connectivity, then the DNS services and last but not least, the ethernet
connected machines die.

By restarting the base station everything goes back to normal, but if you
resume the TV or consume bandwidth in any other way the problem happens
again. I already called support and got a new base station, but it didn't
help. I also upgraded to the latest firmware but it does not help either.

Can you please help me?

Thanks!
20 answers Last reply
More about router crazy exercised

    I didn't get any response so far. Can you please take a look at it?

    Thanks!

    "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > If I use the provider's internet connection bandwidth too much (like
    > seeing live TV or downloading something big from the internet) for an
    > extended period of time, the base station gets crazy and services stop
    > working.
    >
    > Usually the admin website is the first to go, then the Wireless
    > connectivity, then the DNS services and last but not least, the ethernet
    > connected machines die.
    >
    > By restarting the base station everything goes back to normal, but if you
    > resume the TV or consume bandwidth in any other way the problem happens
    > again. I already called support and got a new base station, but it didn't
    > help. I also upgraded to the latest firmware but it does not help either.
    >
    > Can you please help me?
    >
    > Thanks!

    The MN-700 has been locking up like that for several
    users, no real solution to the problem has been posted,
    yet. I therefore took the thing back to the store and got
    a different router...

    Is there from Microsoft in this newsgroup? If yes, what is being done to fix
    this problem? Do we have an ETA to have that fixed?

    Thanks!

    > The MN-700 has been locking up like that for several
    > users, no real solution to the problem has been posted,
    > yet. I therefore took the thing back to the store and got
    > a different router...

    What is happening exactly? Which firmware are you running, and on what
    operating system?
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    > Is there from Microsoft in this newsgroup? If yes, what is being done to
    > fix this problem? Do we have an ETA to have that fixed?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> The MN-700 has been locking up like that for several
    >> users, no real solution to the problem has been posted,
    >> yet. I therefore took the thing back to the store and got
    >> a different router...

    If you turn on internet TV broadcasting (or any other bandwidth consuming
    app) the base station services stop responding (the web admin, DNS, wireless
    connectiviity and finally the ethernet connectivity). By restarting the base
    station (no other system, modem or hardware changes) fixes the problem, but
    a little time after it repeats and demands another reset.

    It really looks like the base station is not being able to handle the data
    throughput (I have 3M Comcast service).

    My system data:
    Windows XP SP2
    MN-700 Runtime code version: 02.01.02.0590
    MN-700 Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is happening exactly? Which firmware are you running, and on what
    > operating system?
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there from Microsoft in this newsgroup? If yes, what is being done to
    >> fix this problem? Do we have an ETA to have that fixed?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> The MN-700 has been locking up like that for several
    >>> users, no real solution to the problem has been posted,
    >>> yet. I therefore took the thing back to the store and got
    >>> a different router...

    what app exactly? are you connected via a wired or wireless
    connection?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and nothing
    else works.

    "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > what app exactly? are you connected via a wired or wireless
    > connection?
    >
    > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:48:18 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If you turn on internet TV broadcasting (or any other bandwidth consuming
    >>app) the base station services stop responding (the web admin, DNS,
    >>wireless
    >>connectiviity and finally the ethernet connectivity). By restarting the
    >>base
    >>station (no other system, modem or hardware changes) fixes the problem,
    >>but
    >>a little time after it repeats and demands another reset.
    >>
    >>It really looks like the base station is not being able to handle the data
    >>throughput (I have 3M Comcast service).
    >>
    >>My system data:
    >>Windows XP SP2
    >>MN-700 Runtime code version: 02.01.02.0590
    >>MN-700 Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004
    >>

    >>"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> What is happening exactly? Which firmware are you running, and on what
    >>> operating system?
    >>> --
    >>> Chris H.
    >>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>>

    >>> "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
    up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
    apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
    don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
    property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
    state this up front).

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Windows Media Player (with lots of connections)

    > I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
    > up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
    > apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
    > don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
    > property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
    > state this up front).
    >
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:57:57 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and nothing
    >>else works.
    >>
    >>"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> what app exactly? are you connected via a wired or wireless
    >>> connection?

    >>> --
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> Expert Zone Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> MS-MVP (Windows)
    >>

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Depends on how you use it. If you're using it to send copies of copyrighted
    material, it is illegal.
    --

    > Windows Media Player (with lots of connections)
    >
    > "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
    >> up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
    >> apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
    >> don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
    >> property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
    >> state this up front).
    >>
    >> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:57:57 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and nothing
    >>>else works.
    >>>
    >>>"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >> --
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> Expert Zone Columnist
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >> MS-MVP (Windows)

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    "with P2P apps that violate intellectual
    property rights or promote piracy"

    Doesn't MS Messenger chat fall into this category? Or ftp?
    It might be better to not limit your statement by referencing P2P apps by
    leaving out the "P2P" part...

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
    > up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
    > apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
    > don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
    > property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
    > state this up front).
    >
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:57:57 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and nothing
    > >else works.
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> what app exactly? are you connected via a wired or wireless
    > >> connection?

    > >> --
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> Expert Zone Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> MS-MVP (Windows)
    > >

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I agree. The immediate match between P2P and piracy is wrong. You can use
    P2P to download legitimate content (e.g. Linux ISO images) and at the same
    time, use the tradicional USPS mailbox to receive pirate DVDs.

    -- Nelson

    "Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "with P2P apps that violate intellectual
    > property rights or promote piracy"
    >
    > Doesn't MS Messenger chat fall into this category? Or ftp?
    > It might be better to not limit your statement by referencing P2P apps by
    > leaving out the "P2P" part...
    >

    > Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
    >> up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
    >> apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
    >> don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
    >> property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
    >> state this up front).
    >>
    >> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:57:57 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and
    >> >nothing
    >> >else works.
    >> >
    >> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > consuming

    > data

    > what

    > done

    >> --
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> Expert Zone Columnist
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >> MS-MVP (Windows)

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    So what you're saying is... there's an issue that
    Microsoft is not going to address, and P2P dowloading
    affords you the excuse you require not to fix it.

    <n@hotmail.com> wrote:

    other bandwidth
    connectivity). By restarting the
    changes) fixes the problem,

    you running, and on
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    yes, what is being

    message
    several
    store and got

    >>> --
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> Expert Zone Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> MS-MVP (Windows)
    >>

    >.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    "You?" Not me, Kevin. I'm a user just like you are. However, people who
    share copyrighted programs, crack protection schemes on intellectual
    property and fail to pay for the programs they use are thieves. And those
    people make my legitimate purchase of programs more costly because the
    companies need to protect their products.
    --

    "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > So what you're saying is... there's an issue that
    > Microsoft is not going to address, and P2P dowloading
    > affords you the excuse you require not to fix it.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I understand... but what's that got to do with Microsoft
    fixing an issue with their product?

    You seem to be saying that they don't need to fix it
    because some users are using the product to obtain
    illegal programs. That is not logical, though if they are
    looking for excuses, that one works as well as any.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I have no idea, you're the one who accused me of saying that. If a product
    has a flaw and the manufacturer has discontinued the product, do you think
    they're going to write new firmware for it? I seriously doubt it, so if I
    had that issue, I'd try to get a refund (see user's guide) and/or buy a
    different brand.
    --

    >I understand... but what's that got to do with Microsoft
    > fixing an issue with their product?
    >
    > You seem to be saying that they don't need to fix it
    > because some users are using the product to obtain
    > illegal programs. That is not logical, though if they are
    > looking for excuses, that one works as well as any.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I didn't realize it was discontinued.

    They should pull them off the shelves if that's the case.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    No worries, no copyrighted material is being transmitted.

    > Depends on how you use it. If you're using it to send copies of
    > copyrighted material, it is illegal.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Windows Media Player (with lots of connections)
    >>
    >> "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
    >>> up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
    >>> apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
    >>> don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
    >>> property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
    >>> state this up front).

    >>> --
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> Expert Zone Columnist
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> MS-MVP (Windows)

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    i've been having the same problem and everyone around
    seems to have this problem of mn700 just dieing and
    needing to be restarted.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    My MN-700 stays running all the time and it never needs a restart. I run
    mine in WEP mode.

    > i've been having the same problem and everyone around
    > seems to have this problem of mn700 just dieing and
    > needing to be restarted.

Routers Networking