Router (MN-700) gets crazy if exercised

Hi,

If I use the provider's internet connection bandwidth too much (like seeing
live TV or downloading something big from the internet) for an extended
period of time, the base station gets crazy and services stop working.

Usually the admin website is the first to go, then the Wireless
connectivity, then the DNS services and last but not least, the ethernet
connected machines die.

By restarting the base station everything goes back to normal, but if you
resume the TV or consume bandwidth in any other way the problem happens
again. I already called support and got a new base station, but it didn't
help. I also upgraded to the latest firmware but it does not help either.

Can you please help me?

Thanks!

I didn't get any response so far. Can you please take a look at it?

Thanks!

"N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I use the provider's internet connection bandwidth too much (like
> seeing live TV or downloading something big from the internet) for an
> extended period of time, the base station gets crazy and services stop
> working.
>
> Usually the admin website is the first to go, then the Wireless
> connectivity, then the DNS services and last but not least, the ethernet
> connected machines die.
>
> By restarting the base station everything goes back to normal, but if you
> resume the TV or consume bandwidth in any other way the problem happens
> again. I already called support and got a new base station, but it didn't
> help. I also upgraded to the latest firmware but it does not help either.
>
> Can you please help me?
>
> Thanks!

The MN-700 has been locking up like that for several
users, no real solution to the problem has been posted,
yet. I therefore took the thing back to the store and got
a different router...

Is there from Microsoft in this newsgroup? If yes, what is being done to fix
this problem? Do we have an ETA to have that fixed?

Thanks!

> The MN-700 has been locking up like that for several
> users, no real solution to the problem has been posted,
> yet. I therefore took the thing back to the store and got
> a different router...

What is happening exactly? Which firmware are you running, and on what
operating system?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

> Is there from Microsoft in this newsgroup? If yes, what is being done to
> fix this problem? Do we have an ETA to have that fixed?
>
> Thanks!
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The MN-700 has been locking up like that for several
>> users, no real solution to the problem has been posted,
>> yet. I therefore took the thing back to the store and got
>> a different router...

If you turn on internet TV broadcasting (or any other bandwidth consuming
app) the base station services stop responding (the web admin, DNS, wireless
connectiviity and finally the ethernet connectivity). By restarting the base
station (no other system, modem or hardware changes) fixes the problem, but
a little time after it repeats and demands another reset.

It really looks like the base station is not being able to handle the data
throughput (I have 3M Comcast service).

My system data:
Windows XP SP2
MN-700 Runtime code version: 02.01.02.0590
MN-700 Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What is happening exactly? Which firmware are you running, and on what
> operating system?
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is there from Microsoft in this newsgroup? If yes, what is being done to
>> fix this problem? Do we have an ETA to have that fixed?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> The MN-700 has been locking up like that for several
>>> users, no real solution to the problem has been posted,
>>> yet. I therefore took the thing back to the store and got
>>> a different router...

what app exactly? are you connected via a wired or wireless
connection?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and nothing
else works.

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> what app exactly? are you connected via a wired or wireless
> connection?
>
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:48:18 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>If you turn on internet TV broadcasting (or any other bandwidth consuming
>>app) the base station services stop responding (the web admin, DNS,
>>wireless
>>connectiviity and finally the ethernet connectivity). By restarting the
>>base
>>station (no other system, modem or hardware changes) fixes the problem,
>>but
>>a little time after it repeats and demands another reset.
>>
>>It really looks like the base station is not being able to handle the data
>>throughput (I have 3M Comcast service).
>>
>>My system data:
>>Windows XP SP2
>>MN-700 Runtime code version: 02.01.02.0590
>>MN-700 Hardware version: 00.00.00.0004
>>

>>"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> What is happening exactly? Which firmware are you running, and on what
>>> operating system?
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
state this up front).

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Windows Media Player (with lots of connections)

> I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
> up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
> apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
> don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
> property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
> state this up front).
>
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:57:57 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and nothing
>>else works.
>>
>>"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> what app exactly? are you connected via a wired or wireless
>>> connection?

>>> --
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> Expert Zone Columnist
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> MS-MVP (Windows)
>>

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Depends on how you use it. If you're using it to send copies of copyrighted
material, it is illegal.
--

> Windows Media Player (with lots of connections)
>
> "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
>> up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
>> apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
>> don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
>> property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
>> state this up front).
>>
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:57:57 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and nothing
>>>else works.
>>>
>>>"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message

>> --
>> Barb Bowman
>> Expert Zone Columnist
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>> MS-MVP (Windows)

"with P2P apps that violate intellectual
property rights or promote piracy"

Doesn't MS Messenger chat fall into this category? Or ftp?
It might be better to not limit your statement by referencing P2P apps by
leaving out the "P2P" part...

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
> up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
> apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
> don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
> property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
> state this up front).
>
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:57:57 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and nothing
> >else works.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> what app exactly? are you connected via a wired or wireless
> >> connection?

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)
> >

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

I agree. The immediate match between P2P and piracy is wrong. You can use
P2P to download legitimate content (e.g. Linux ISO images) and at the same
time, use the tradicional USPS mailbox to receive pirate DVDs.

-- Nelson

"Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "with P2P apps that violate intellectual
> property rights or promote piracy"
>
> Doesn't MS Messenger chat fall into this category? Or ftp?
> It might be better to not limit your statement by referencing P2P apps by
> leaving out the "P2P" part...
>

> Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
>> up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
>> apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
>> don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
>> property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
>> state this up front).
>>
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:57:57 -0700, "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Wired. Any app. If you transfer too much, the base gets crazy and
>> >nothing
>> >else works.
>> >
>> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message

> consuming

> data

> what

> done

>> --
>> Barb Bowman
>> Expert Zone Columnist
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>> MS-MVP (Windows)

So what you're saying is... there's an issue that
Microsoft is not going to address, and P2P dowloading
affords you the excuse you require not to fix it.

<n@hotmail.com> wrote:

other bandwidth
web admin, DNS,
connectivity). By restarting the
changes) fixes the problem,
reset.

able to handle the

you running, and on
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

yes, what is being
fixed?

message
several
posted,
store and got

>>> --
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> Expert Zone Columnist
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> MS-MVP (Windows)
>>

>.

"You?" Not me, Kevin. I'm a user just like you are. However, people who
share copyrighted programs, crack protection schemes on intellectual
property and fail to pay for the programs they use are thieves. And those
people make my legitimate purchase of programs more costly because the
companies need to protect their products.
--

"Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So what you're saying is... there's an issue that
> Microsoft is not going to address, and P2P dowloading
> affords you the excuse you require not to fix it.

I understand... but what's that got to do with Microsoft
fixing an issue with their product?

You seem to be saying that they don't need to fix it
because some users are using the product to obtain
illegal programs. That is not logical, though if they are
looking for excuses, that one works as well as any.

I have no idea, you're the one who accused me of saying that. If a product
has a flaw and the manufacturer has discontinued the product, do you think
they're going to write new firmware for it? I seriously doubt it, so if I
had that issue, I'd try to get a refund (see user's guide) and/or buy a
different brand.
--

>I understand... but what's that got to do with Microsoft
> fixing an issue with their product?
>
> You seem to be saying that they don't need to fix it
> because some users are using the product to obtain
> illegal programs. That is not logical, though if they are
> looking for excuses, that one works as well as any.

I didn't realize it was discontinued.

They should pull them off the shelves if that's the case.

No worries, no copyrighted material is being transmitted.

> Depends on how you use it. If you're using it to send copies of
> copyrighted material, it is illegal.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "N" <n@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Windows Media Player (with lots of connections)
>>
>> "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I've seen some problems with long periods of streaming multimedia crop
>>> up in these newsgroups and some problems with the P2P file sharing
>>> apps. Could you specify at least one application name? (Note that I
>>> don't provide assistance with P2P apps that violate intellectual
>>> property rights or promote piracy-this may not apply to you but best I
>>> state this up front).

>>> --
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> Expert Zone Columnist
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> MS-MVP (Windows)

i've been having the same problem and everyone around
seems to have this problem of mn700 just dieing and
needing to be restarted.

Christian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My MN-700 stays running all the time and it never needs a restart. I run
mine in WEP mode.