[Crawl] Level 8 Assassin looking for advice

goop

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Hey all. Love the game, terribly addicted to it. The farthest I ever
got I think was D8. I don't remember what level but it had the Lair
on it.

Anyways this is my first Assassin to get this far, in large part
because I found a Hand Axe of Venom on dungeon level 2... that helped
out a LOT.

I'm wondering which direction to go w/ my skills. I'm starting to run
into creatures that are poison resistant (imps and ice beasts). I
finally got spellcasting to level 1 and have been practicing
conjuration w/ magic dart.

Should I work on getting better armor? Should I ditch the venom axe
for something better?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

"Goop" <dagoop@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey all. Love the game, terribly addicted to it. The farthest I ever
> got I think was D8. I don't remember what level but it had the Lair
> on it.
>
> Anyways this is my first Assassin to get this far, in large part
> because I found a Hand Axe of Venom on dungeon level 2... that helped
> out a LOT.
>
> I'm wondering which direction to go w/ my skills. I'm starting to run
> into creatures that are poison resistant (imps and ice beasts). I
> finally got spellcasting to level 1 and have been practicing
> conjuration w/ magic dart.
>
> Should I work on getting better armor? Should I ditch the venom axe
> for something better?
>
> Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I forgot to ask if anyone recommends a diety? I'm on the level w/ the
temple.

Here are my stats

Raistlin the Chopper (Elf)

(Level 8 Assassin)

Play time: 00:36:08 Number of turns: 4608

Experience : 8/1226

Strength 11 Dexterity 20 Intelligence 12

Hit Points : 47 Magic Points : 11

AC : 9 Evasion : 8 Shield : 0

GP : 63

You are on level 5.

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand weapons

a - a +3,+3 dwarven hand axe of venom (weapon)

b - a +0 elven blowgun

i - a +3,+2 elven dagger

p - an uncursed runed dagger of venom

t - an uncursed elven dagger

x - an uncursed knife

z - a falchion

A - an uncursed orcish long sword

L - an uncursed dagger

M - an uncursed runed spear of orc slaying

Missiles

e - 17 poisoned +0 elven needles

n - 43 poisoned needles

o - 53 needles

F - 37 elven darts

Armour

d - a +2 elven cloak (worn)

m - a +0 jeweled helm (worn)

u - a +0 scale mail (worn)

Magical devices

D - a tapered brass wand

K - a wand of lightning

Comestibles

f - 3 bread rations

r - a meat ration

C - an apple

H - 8 sultanas

Scrolls

j - 3 scrolls of remove curse

k - 2 scrolls labeled G LIFRMNG LIS

q - 5 scrolls of teleportation

s - a scroll labeled ROA {tried}

B - 2 scrolls of enchant armour

E - a scroll labeled IBOVYXTEXI

G - 2 scrolls of detect curse

N - a scroll of identify

Jewellery

h - a ring of life protection (left hand)

v - a ring of poison resistance (right hand)

Potions

c - an oily orange potion

g - a silvery potion

l - 3 potions of heal wounds

w - 2 fuming red potions

y - 2 brown potions

I - a black potion

Books

J - a book of Minor Magic

You have 0 experience left.

Skills:

+ Level 3 Fighting

+ Level 2 Short Blades

+ Level 5 Axes

+ Level 4 Darts

+ Level 3 Throwing

+ Level 1 Armour

+ Level 2 Dodging

+ Level 3 Stealth

+ Level 2 Stabbing

+ Level 1 Spellcasting

+ Level 2 Conjurations

You have 8 spell levels left.

You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level

a - Magic Dart Conjuration Fair 1

venom is nice for the lower levels of the dungeon,
it should also help to get you through the Lair,
I'd hold on to that axe for now...

As for skills, I find conjurations quite usefull,
especially in conjunction with air and fire skills,
at some point you're going to have to pick up some summoning skill though
(i don't think it's possible to survive the deeper dungeon levels without
some demonic/elemental assistance)

As for a deity, my personal favourite is Vehumet, if you please Him,
you're likely to receive several gifts in the form of powerfull spell
books. My last character would never have survived without power gain from
kills and protection from summoned creatures - all thanks to Vehumet!

hope this helps
hein