Alienware or Build my own?

G

It seems like Alienware uses good parts. (doesnt skimp to save money like other companies) Does any one know how good this company really is? I dont know if I would rather buy from them or build my own system. Could someone please let me know what the pro's and con's would be to the 2 choices? Thanks.

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
If you have a basic knowledge of how to put a machine together I would go that way. It's a great learning experience and you can customize each part to what you want. The Pros of going w/alien is not having to configure, tweak, or wrestle with the machine to get it to work(+ you get some kind of warranty), but that takes all the fun out of it.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
build your own machine.

Hell i had a chance to get a P2 333 system w/ TNT 16mb AGP for $1200. I passed it up and ended out to build K6-2 300mhz w/ s3 savage3d 8mb PCI for $1000. Well i can say that im much alot about PC's. I felt better too!!!

:cool: First person to get a topic banned. :cool: ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!! :cool: VIA SUCKS !!! :cool:

G

Basically you need only a bit of knowledge to build your own computer. If you've installed your own video card you're probably fine. Usually you save $$$ on the parts. While some OEM systems may be fine in terms of the parts they use, they usually don't have the 100% best option for every single part. Not a big deal.

OEMs are nice because they really hold your hand. If you have a problem they will fix it for you or bend over backwards to tell you how to. They also have nice warrentys. If you don't already have software such as MS office/windows the overall cost is often cheaper when going with an oem. Sometimes you get lucky and an OEM will offer EXACTLY the system you want. This occured for me (technically my dad) 4 years back, absolutly every component was the way I wanted it on a Dell PII (with the exception of the sound card but I really didn't care about that).

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
First, you have to evaluate what you want to accomplish, what your basic skill level is, and what is the cost difference between doing it yourself or buying OEM. I bought a top notch system from Alienware almost a month ago (should be in this week or next) and they do have a great reputation (numerous awards). I posted an article on it back then and I've included the link for you. The general consensus was that I actually got a good deal from them, probably paying an extra $300 or so. Well worth it for me since I really don't have the time or patience to do it myself. Upgrading is one thing, starting from scratch is another. There is a large potential frustration factor if parts are delayed or arrive damaged. If you don't have a hard drive, for example, you have nothing.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1</A>

-------------------------------------
Nature abhors a moron. -- HL Mencken

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ok, open up your current case. If you already feel uncomfortable go with alienware.

If you on the other hand feel comfortable going in and removiing all the cards and the memory and then reinstalling them (a basic task), you are at least capable of building your own machine.

If you feel comfortable removing all the cables,cards, memory, and your cpu and putting them all back, then there is no reason for you not to build your own machine.

Just ground yourself and set aside one good day for trouble shooting, driver issues, etc....

"I think I brained my damage"

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
Capability is one thing, time and potential frustration are another. That's all I was trying to address. If you're a starving college student w/ more time than money, building makes all the sense in the world. Otherwise it depends on why you are building/buying the computer. If its a means to an end (i.e. you just want to play games and whatnot) and you work 60 hour weeks, making decent money, it seems foolish to worry about the $300-500 -- given warranties, the time to build, the potential frustrations and your personal potential to f-up (many people even here still do and one f-up ruins). If you *enjoy* building them (i.e. the means is the end) then by all means save the money and enjoy building one.

It's like everyone here is some sort of DIY, kill all OEMs nazi, in addition to pro-Linux, anti-MSFT and anti-RAMBUS.

-------------------------------------
Nature abhors a moron. -- HL Mencken

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
You might also check out Falcon North West (falcon-nw.com). They are supposed to know how to tweak a computer. They are on par with Alienware if not better.

G

I will have the time, I plan on doing this just before summer vacation, and I should have a budget between $2,800 and $3,200. But... I want a
Athalon (what is the best motherboard right now?), 1.3ghz, 256-384 megs (DDRam?), GForce 3 (if tests show it to be worth it), 19" profesional monitor, and a sound card that will let me set up dolby digital suround sound speakers. I am also looking into 2 hard drives, a 10gig and 50-70gig 7200 Ultra ATA100. So.... that is a lot of expensive stuff... and if I build it, then I got to get the case, power supply, fans and cooling units or whatever, the wires and all, and I wouldnt know EXACTLY what to do.
I have build an old 486 from scratch, but I have an idea this would be a LITTLE bit harder. I have also fooled around a little bit with my P1, 233 mhz, but like I said, I didnt know what I was doing exactly (meaning i didnt know what the wires were, just put them back whare they belonged.) So I think I would be able to build a system with the help of friends and boards like this. But if Alienware could use the parts I wanted, I would mb just go with them. If any one has an Alienware system, how does it run?... and are the parts all good and upgradeable and all that stuff?