[Crawl] Staff of poison

I'm currently playing a Grey Elf Healer with a staff of poison as main
weapon. Though it doesn't seem to be the ideal weapon for my Healer
(don't have any poisoning spells yet), I'm using it mainly for it's
poison protection, which seems to be in fact a 100% immunity.

The staff's description says "It can poison those struck by it". But
this never happens. I wonder whether it's a bug (the description itself
or the weapon code) or something else? As far as I know (from some god
spoilers) Elyvilon doesn't have any concerns about using poisoning
spells or weapons.

Rubinstein

Peter Borgmann wrote:
> The staff's description says "It can poison those struck by it". But
> this never happens.

Correction: Meanwhile the staff did it. Edmund suddenly got ill and I
guess it wasn't just cause of my appearance.
Anyway, this first poison hit needed an extraordinary long time,
compared to any 'edged' poisoned weapon.

Rubinstein

Peter Borgmann wrote:
> Peter Borgmann wrote:
>
>> The staff's description says "It can poison those struck by it". But
>> this never happens.
>
> Correction: Meanwhile the staff did it. Edmund suddenly got ill and I
> guess it wasn't just cause of my appearance.
> Anyway, this first poison hit needed an extraordinary long time,
> compared to any 'edged' poisoned weapon.

The staff's chance of poisioning your opponent is (damage+poison skill)%
capped at 30% while the chance for your edged poison weapons is flat 3/4
(2/3 for monster vs monster, 1/3 for monster vs you).

Lars

Lars Kecke wrote:
> Peter Borgmann wrote:
>
>> Peter Borgmann wrote:
>>
>>> The staff's description says "It can poison those struck by it". But
>>> this never happens.
>>

>> Correction: Meanwhile the staff did it. Edmund suddenly got ill and I
>> guess it wasn't just cause of my appearance.
>> Anyway, this first poison hit needed an extraordinary long time,
>> compared to any 'edged' poisoned weapon.
>

> The staff's chance of poisioning your opponent is (damage+poison skill)%
> capped at 30% while the chance for your edged poison weapons is flat 3/4
> (2/3 for monster vs monster, 1/3 for monster vs you).

Thanks for that. Without any poison skill the line above would be
reduced to (damage)% which I don't understand. % from what? The monsters HP?
Anyway, the effect must be extremely rare w/o poison skill, since I used
that staff for a pretty long time and only got poisoning 2 or 3 times.

Btw, I never wasted a scroll of enchant weapon for that staff. Is it
correct that those kind of staves (other than plain quarterstaves) are
not enchantable?

Peter Borgmann wrote:
> Lars Kecke wrote:

>> The staff's chance of poisioning your opponent is (damage+poison
>> skill)% capped at 30% while the chance for your edged poison weapons
>> is flat 3/4 (2/3 for monster vs monster, 1/3 for monster vs you).
>
> Thanks for that. Without any poison skill the line above would be
> reduced to (damage)% which I don't understand. % from what? The monsters
> HP?

Sorry, I meant 7% for 7 points of damage done etc.

> Btw, I never wasted a scroll of enchant weapon for that staff. Is it
> correct that those kind of staves (other than plain quarterstaves) are
> not enchantable?

IIRC, yes (no wizmode here and to lazy to check the source).

Lars

TRENDING THREADS