Sign in with
Your question

Oem windows changed mobo

Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2013 3:13:09 PM

Hello,
purchased an oem version of windows not knowing that it was an oem copy. i installed it and all was fine for a while until i realized one of my ram slots was broken, so i therefore updated my motherboard and now i cannot get onto windows. I was told that if you ring Microsoft that they will activate it on your new motherboard. so i rang Microsoft and i finally got through to a real person he gave me a number and said that they would fix it (the same one i was on) and gave me instructions numbers to press, i followed this and could not get through to a real person. so I am posting here to get an idea of what I can do.

Thanks in advance

Harry.
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 3:32:24 PM

An existing Windows installation will not work after a motherboard change unless the new board is exactly the same model as the old one. That's why you can't get into Windows, it's nothing to do with product activation.

If you changed your motherboard you need to first of all install Windows again from the OEM DVD like you did with the old motherboard. Have Windows running, then call the appropriate Microsoft Activation Center for your country, using a phone that's next to your computer. They can't help you activate it unless Windows is actually up and running when you call them. Activation can only be done from within Windows, whether it's done online or by phone.

I had to call them for a new activation number after I'd exceeded the maximum allowed number of re-installations (but it still installed and Windows started no problem). The lady at Microsoft read out a string of numbers slowly for me, and I had to enter them in real time on my keyboard. Complete success.
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2013 3:46:36 PM

Yes, as Phil says they'll work with you....
Related resources
January 9, 2013 4:28:06 PM

phil22 said:
An existing Windows installation will not work after a motherboard change unless the new board is exactly the same model as the old one. That's why you can't get into Windows, it's nothing to do with product activation.

If you changed your motherboard you need to first of all install Windows again from the OEM DVD like you did with the old motherboard. Have Windows running, then call the appropriate Microsoft Activation Center for your country, using a phone that's next to your computer. They can't help you activate it unless Windows is actually up and running when you call them. Activation can only be done from within Windows, whether it's done online or by phone.

I had to call them for a new activation number after I'd exceeded the maximum allowed number of re-installations (but it still installed and Windows started no problem). The lady at Microsoft read out a string of numbers slowly for me, and I had to enter them in real time on my keyboard. Complete success.

i cant re-install it i put my disc in, but you need windows up to install it or you lose all you data and 500gb is alot to re download when your internet is as bad as mine :(  also it is only upgrade i have tried as im to scared to custom install and lose all data
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 4:41:33 PM

harrych said:
i cant re-install it i put my disc in, but you need windows up to install it or you lose all you data and 500gb is alot to re download when your internet is as bad as mine :(  also it is only upgrade i have tried as im to scared to custom install and lose all data

Another hard lesson learned on BACKING UP YOUR DATA. If it's to important to lose you shouldn't have only 1 copy.

You may not be able to get your current installation of windows to work with the new MOBO. Diff mobos use different drivers, chipsets, etc etc. Knowing the make/model of the current and old mobo may help us to get it working.

You can always take that hard drive out, plug it into a different computer and try to pull your data from there also.

But as the above posters said. Microsoft can't really help you if your not able to boot into windows first.
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 4:47:27 PM

Buy a new hard drive, install windows on it(the upgrade disk will work). Then add the old hard drive in and you can copy your data off it.

If you buy an external USB enclosure for your current drive, then you will have a good backup device for the future.
January 9, 2013 7:38:05 PM

i have an external will that do :) 

a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:29:41 PM

Hi :) 

When you bought the OEM you didn't notice the cheap price....I think not...

MS do NOT always allow new numbers with Motherboard changes, so you may have to BUY another legal copy of windows...

Next time make sure you buy RETAIL (MORE EXPENSIVE) which you CAN reactivate after a motherboard change...

All the best Brett :) 
!