The tentacled monstrosity disappears in a puff of smoke!
The program bug dies!

..........#.....................#
#5......#......................#
#...^...##.....................#
................#.########......#
.........#......#.##............#
................#.#.######......#
....#...........#.##..#.##......#
................#X#....#.#......#
................#L#....#.#......#
................##3#..##.#......#
................#.####.#.#......#
....................##.#......#
................########.#......#
..............................#.#
... .......................#.#.#
..........................###.#
..............................#

I'd been at the point where the '3' is here, then swapped the place
with the friendly tentacled monstrosity that was where I (the
striking 'L') am (because something burrowed through the wall, and I
did not like a two front fight ), then admired the pretty pattern
on the walls, in other words waited a few turns for either something
to remove the tentacled monstrosity and filling the space, or it
killing its neighbours, while wondering whether I should just
retreat and call my friends back and displace them to get myself to
the front again.

Same message as those boring(?) beetles do. I didn't pay
attention to what kind of monster did it, just wondered about it a
moment and then was distracted by the purple '3' poking its ugly
head into my discussion with the funny named '&' (which was still to
the NE of the '3', or somewhere in that room).

Reading preceding messages now, I find that Funny Named Ampersand
must have been wielding a weapon of distortion (it hit me with it),
though I'm not sure I found one among the junk anywhere on the
level. (Curse my memory. [insert boring details about my
confusion]).

Clearing the level, I found an odd dent in the wall to the south,
that, being a square-framed level, shouldn't have been there. Like:

####.###
###

I Left the level by Banishing myself to test whether that still
works, quickly found a gate out of the Abyss, and am now back in
Pandemonium.

Any idea what happened, in relation to Mr Program Bug?

Could a monster have appeared where it shouldn't? (In the dent?)

Should I worry? I still lack all of the four special Pandemonium
runes (and an abyssal one). Found two exits before the first plain
demonic rune, and two more before the next, though they seem to be a
little more frequent lately (7 at present).

--
Tina the Stabber - the Favourite Plaything of the Rickety Numerous Grin
2 answers Last reply

    "Tina Hall" <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote in message
    > First time I notice one of these 'program bug' buggers in
    > Pandemonium:

    > Reading preceding messages now, I find that Funny Named Ampersand
    > must have been wielding a weapon of distortion (it hit me with it),
    > though I'm not sure I found one among the junk anywhere on the
    > level. (Curse my memory. [insert boring details about my
    > confusion]).
    >
    > Clearing the level, I found an odd dent in the wall to the south,
    > that, being a square-framed level, shouldn't have been there. Like:

    > ####.###
    > ###

    Unique Ampersands occasionally have ego-weapon attacks, IIRC (been awhile since
    I've been to Pandemonium). So he probably didn't have a weapon for you to find,
    just had distortion with his bare hands. They also sometimes can shoot beams of
    energy that don't seem to ever hit you, but disintegrate walls.

    So that probably explains the missing walls and the distortion. I've got no
    idea about the program bug.

    --
    Jeremey
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    i recently encountered a 'program bug' as well,
    unfortunately one of my demonic slaves killed it before i even noticed
    it's presence, all i knew of it was:

    The program bug dies
    Vehumet accepts your slave's kill

    thx for reminding me about it, will go look through the source
    to see if i can find any info on program bugs....

Bug Video Games