[Crawl] Yet another 'program bug'...

Last response: in Video Games
November 21, 2004 7:14:00 AM

#5......#......................#
................##3#..##.#......#
................#.####.#.#......#
....................##.#......#
................########.#......#
..............................#.#
... .......................#.#.#
..........................###.#
..............................#

I'd been at the point where the '3' is here, then swapped the place
with the friendly tentacled monstrosity that was where I (the
striking 'L') am (because something burrowed through the wall, and I
did not like a two front fight
  • ), then admired the pretty pattern
    on the walls, in other words waited a few turns for either something
    to remove the tentacled monstrosity and filling the space, or it
    killing its neighbours, while wondering whether I should just
    retreat and call my friends back and displace them to get myself to
    the front again.

  • Same message as those boring(?) beetles do. I didn't pay
    attention to what kind of monster did it, just wondered about it a
    moment and then was distracted by the purple '3' poking its ugly
    head into my discussion with the funny named '&' (which was still to
    the NE of the '3', or somewhere in that room).

    Reading preceding messages now, I find that Funny Named Ampersand
    must have been wielding a weapon of distortion (it hit me with it),
    though I'm not sure I found one among the junk anywhere on the
    level. (Curse my memory. [insert boring details about my
    confusion]).

    Clearing the level, I found an odd dent in the wall to the south,
    that, being a square-framed level, shouldn't have been there. Like:

    ####.###
    ###

    I Left the level by Banishing myself to test whether that still
    works, quickly found a gate out of the Abyss, and am now back in
    Pandemonium.

    Any idea what happened, in relation to Mr Program Bug?

    Could a monster have appeared where it shouldn't? (In the dent?)

    Should I worry? I still lack all of the four special Pandemonium
    runes (and an abyssal one). Found two exits before the first plain
    demonic rune, and two more before the next, though they seem to be a
    little more frequent lately (7 at present).

    --
    Tina the Stabber - the Favourite Plaything of the Rickety Numerous Grin
  • More about : crawl program bug

    Anonymous
    November 21, 2004 7:16:13 AM

    "Tina Hall" <Tina_Hall@kruemel.org> wrote in message
    > First time I notice one of these 'program bug' buggers in
    > Pandemonium:

    > Reading preceding messages now, I find that Funny Named Ampersand
    > must have been wielding a weapon of distortion (it hit me with it),
    > though I'm not sure I found one among the junk anywhere on the
    > level. (Curse my memory. [insert boring details about my
    > confusion]).
    >
    > Clearing the level, I found an odd dent in the wall to the south,
    > that, being a square-framed level, shouldn't have been there. Like:

    > ####.###
    > ###

    Unique Ampersands occasionally have ego-weapon attacks, IIRC (been awhile since
    I've been to Pandemonium). So he probably didn't have a weapon for you to find,
    just had distortion with his bare hands. They also sometimes can shoot beams of
    energy that don't seem to ever hit you, but disintegrate walls.

    So that probably explains the missing walls and the distortion. I've got no
    idea about the program bug.

    --
    Jeremey
    Anonymous

    i recently encountered a 'program bug' as well,
    unfortunately one of my demonic slaves killed it before i even noticed
    it's presence, all i knew of it was:

    The program bug dies
    Vehumet accepts your slave's kill

    thx for reminding me about it, will go look through the source
    to see if i can find any info on program bugs....
    !