Sign in with
Your question

Connecting new machine to Domain Controller

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
January 9, 2013 4:43:02 PM

So i've recently taken over the role of network administrator at my office. I refreshed a few desktops lastnight with Windows 7, but to the life of me.. could not get them to connect to the domain controller, which runs on server 2003.

Kept receiving errors pertaining to the DNS, could not reach DNS I believe.

-De-selected the IPv6 config
-Set the DNS to the new add, to that of the domain controller(although I left the IP dynamic, should this be a static IP)?

-The new machines are all dynamic in IP and DNS, but so were the old ones. Should I set a static to these new machines to add to the domain?

Thoughts.
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 4:55:25 PM

Is your DHCP is set to give the DNS? Look at one of the systems that is still on the domain and see what their dns settings are.
Anonymous
January 9, 2013 5:07:58 PM

Yes, its strange. The DNS on all machines are dynamic, when checked via ipconfig/network connections.

How would I check if the DHCP is providing the DNS?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 5:35:24 PM

Refreshed, exactly what did you do? A complete wipe and network installation of the Os ect via a server deployment ?

a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 5:39:26 PM

Ping the Dhcp address, via the local machine.

See if it returns a ping and latency across the network.

You can do the same with a Dns numbers assigned to the network card of the host machine, and check the assigned Dns server numbers are correct. And the subnet address.

You can do this through CMD prompt of the host machine with Ip config.
Click on the start pearl ect, in the search box type cmd.
A dos window will open.

Type: Ipconfig/all it will pull up all of the details the Dhcp server assigned to the network adapter, Dns look up server Ip adresses, Ip of assigned to the network adapter of the host machine, and its subnet address it is working on within the network. Ping each of these see if you get a return. That way you can work out what setting is wrong. Using a static ip adress on a Dchp setup server will result a conflict because it has already assigned the details to another network adapter on the network and cannot release it due to it being in use already.
January 9, 2013 5:45:52 PM

Are you using Pro or Ultimate version? Home Premium can't join domains...you didn't specify which is why I ask.
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 5:48:24 PM

I'm assuming you have Windows 7 Pro. Try using the fully qualified domain name.
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 5:57:30 PM

zugzug_64 said:
Are you using Pro or Ultimate version? Home Premium can't join domains...you didn't specify which is why I ask.

DeadRam said:
I'm assuming you have Windows 7 Pro. Try using the fully qualified domain name.

You two had the same thought I did.

As for getting it to do it, there is a way but it isn't supported natively on a fresh install. There was a user a few years back that had the same issue and his answer can be found right here on Tom's. You can read over it HERE .

Anonymous
January 9, 2013 5:58:57 PM

I'm using Ultimate.. Full Wipe, local install(small office). Also, thank you for reminding me weaselman.. for whatever reason, our network was being slammed lastnight..latency like I hadn't seen before. Could this be causing the error as well?
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 6:09:45 PM

If you are trying to establish this computer as the domain controller or just simply connect it to the domain, and there was high network traffic, you were probably hitting a major bottleneck because both the DC and the server were too busy trying to compensate for the already existent traffic.
Anonymous
January 9, 2013 6:20:53 PM

Awesome link hedwar! I will try a few steps and update the thread when I get back in the office. Thank you all
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 6:36:22 PM

a good way to check is nslookup
click start type cmd and hit enter
type nslookup
does it resolve the fqdn?
can you ping the dns server?
Anonymous
January 9, 2013 6:44:00 PM

nslookup can provide a breakdown of network errors?
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 7:01:19 PM

i would run
click start type cmd hit enter
type
net stats workstation
that would show you network errors
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 7:02:37 PM

Nslookup.exe is a command-line administrative tool for testing and troubleshooting DNS servers. This tool is installed along with the TCP/IP protocol through Control Panel. This article includes several tips for using Nslookup.exe.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200525
Anonymous
January 11, 2013 2:52:18 AM

Update. So apparently the domain's firewall settings are overriding the settings I am setting via GPO and the local firewall. I have disabled the domain firewall via regedit.
Disabled the firewall via GPO and enabled incoming connections.. even stopped and disabled the service.. yet I am getting download speeds on this machine at 14mbps.. UPLOAD IS AROUND 0-.5MBPS on this machine only..and it takes about 4 hours to download a 3mb file from the web. This is the newly wiped, clean windows 7 install.

The firewall is disabled on the domain controller and I cant seem to locate firewall settings via GPO in the DC(server 03 sp2). We are running a comcast bus. modem, netgear switch and a linksys router. DHCP is being provided by the router.

Any ideas on this? I am stumped.
!