Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 2, 2001 9:00:15 PM

Does 266MHz FSB offer an advantage in terms of communication
with the L3 cache?

More generally, is there any advantage in 266MHz over 133MHz
if one chooses not to go with DDR memory?

Thanks..

More about : 266mhz fsb

March 3, 2001 12:23:07 AM

i'm not too sure sure what you are trying to say.

If you are refering to the amd chip, there is no L3 cache.
Besides, the fsb is not connected to the cache, the cache has it's own bus inside the cpu

And the bus for the memory is either 100 or 133, running on the EV6 bus which is ddr thus giving a 200 or 266 bus respectively.

Again, this is for amd thunderbird systems only
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 3, 2001 8:30:23 AM

Athlons do not include an L3 cache on the motherboard. This was an interim idea - to do something with the unused motherboard cache when AMD put the L2 cache on-die in the K6-III. This was dumped with the introduction of the Athlon.

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better. ~
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 5, 2001 12:37:17 PM

So does 266MHz FSB buy one anything at all without DDR?

Thanks
March 5, 2001 12:41:29 PM

The 266FSB supports PC2100DDR-SDRAM. The 200FSB only supports PC1600.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 5, 2001 2:42:00 PM

Let me repeat my question: does 266MHz FSB offer any
advantage to a <font color=red>non-DDR</font color=red> system?

The reason I ask is that there are motherboards available
(e.g. Asus A7v133) that -- according to specs at
tccomputers.com -- support 266MHz FSB but <font color=red>do not</font color=red>
support DDR memory.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 5, 2001 3:30:26 PM

According to Tom's <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q1/010104/inde..." target="_new">review</A> the 266Mhz bus fares pretty well. The story is <i>still</i> out on DDR though.

The glass isn't half empty, it isn't half full. There just isn't enough in it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 5, 2001 6:28:11 PM

Okay, so one thing I'm getting from that review is that the
term 'FSB' refers <i>only</i> to the bus between the CPU
and the north bridge. The memory bus is between the north
bridge and (in my theoretical case) SDR SDRAM. I'm getting
that from <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q1/010104/amd-..." target="_new">this page</A> of the article.

But I'm still confused -- the message I'm getting from the
article itself is that 266MHz FSB necessarily implies DDR.
Is that not the case?

If it <i>is</i> the case, why are MB manufacturers
producing 266MHz FSB boards that don't support DDR?

Gosh I'm confused.

Thanks...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 5, 2001 6:42:32 PM

OK, let's jet this straight.

- Athlon 'B' @ 100MHz DDR FSB works with PC100 SDRAM, PC133 SDRAM and PC1600 DDR.
- Athlon 'C' @ 133MHz DDR FSB works with PC100 SDRAM, PC133 SDRAM and PC2100 DDR.
- VIA KT133 supports Athlon B with PC100/PC133.
- VIA KT133A supports Athlon B/C with PC100/PC133.
- AMD 760 and VIA KT266 support Athlon B with PC1600 or Athlon C with PC2100.

Because PC2100 is faster and more common, AMD cranked up the FSB to match (133MHz DDR). However, even when using this better speed with 133MHz SDRAM, there is still a performance increase because the processor has more bandwidth for not just memory, but AGP/PCI transfers which also run along this bus. So even when using PC133 the Athlon C is about 5-10% faster than the Athlon B

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 5, 2001 7:14:11 PM

So... "266MHz FSB" and "133MHz DDR FSB" are two ways of
saying the same thing?

The source of my confusion is this <A HREF="http://www.tccomputers.com/apps/products/ppp.php?produc..." target="_new"> spec sheet </A> I found for the Asus
A7v133.

I can see the advantage, especially given the diagram from
Tom's article I referred to earlier. It's just that the
terminology is confusing me.

I think. Pls let me know if my obervation above about
133DDR == 266 isn't correct.

And thanks again.
March 5, 2001 7:26:04 PM

A7V is a disaster ATM, check out asus forums, 10 most viewed threads are all about A7V and how bad it sucks.

This problem is not limited to just Asus, I just like the flames there demanding "Fix my damn A7V133 NOW!"
And

Asus replies "We are working quickly as possible to resolve the problem, Due to conditions out of our control at the moment we may recall certain model of motherboards with DDR chipsets."

So 266FSB on AMD is a JOKE!! Keep up the good work!
March 5, 2001 7:35:03 PM

Actually the A7V133 is better than any of your [-peep-] Intel mobos. You are an idiot because your only source of entertainment is coming on this forum and insulting any product that intel didn't come out with. Do we "AMD puppies" do that? NO! All the insults are by you and meltdown with subject title of something like "Another one bits the dust". You as a moron do not understand that heat is not a problem if you don't overclock and if you have even the shitiest HSF properly attached to your CPU. Those of you who cannot attach one properly should simply have a technician do it for you, or read the instructions first!

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"
March 5, 2001 7:58:43 PM

"Actually the A7V133 is better than any of your [-peep-] Intel mobos." that by far is the funniest thing ever posted on THG forum.

Kudos to you Tempus!

I like to use "lemmings" not puppies.

lemmings follow each other around mindlessly.

Puppies have a choice what tit they drink from.

Big difference.

BTW, it's not my heat problem. deal with it.
March 5, 2001 8:04:55 PM

Care to explain what is so funny. I'm thinking you were laughing at Intels [-peep-] mobos.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 6, 2001 11:46:30 AM

Verteron is right 'C' athlons use a 133Mhz "double pumped"
FSB running effectively at 266. just to add that Aces H/W forum describes why there is an additional performance bonus
when using KT133A with PC133 the northside synchronizes both
the FSB and the memory bus so that data transfers straight through without delay. cannot remember offhand which thread
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 6, 2001 12:47:48 PM

Thanks! I think I'm starting to get it.

What is this "Aces h/w forum?" Do you mean Acer? Where can
I find it?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 6, 2001 12:54:17 PM

Never mind, I think I found it -- www.aceshardware.com,
right?
March 6, 2001 4:00:59 PM

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I've had my Athlon system up for over a week, running SETI 24/7, games/browsing in the evening. Instead of posting a flame, why not explain what the purported issues are? Or can't your feeble mind grasp the issues discussed there (which would explain why you babble mindlessly so frequently.) I have had 0 problems with my system, not one lockup, not one flake-out, not one incompatability. The performance is awesome. Am I just a God when it comes to setting up systems? Or are these 'issues' just more of your made up Intel propaganda?

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1370MHz(137MHz*10)/Asus_A7V133/
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
March 6, 2001 4:40:23 PM

I don't like to boast, but my two Athlon systems are also rock steady. I don't like to say too much cos some people don't seem to like AMD-praise (<b>FUGGER</b>, <b>AmdMeltdown</b> and several other lamers).

I once had my T-bird 800 @ 900 (9x with crossed bridges) on a A7V133 for a week running NT (!) without a crash. My T-bird 1.2GHz is non-oc @ the mo, but it still says up for at least 2 to 3 days w/o a crash. With linux they're even better.

Of course, like any system, they crash rather frequently as soon as I start messing with them (like pulling out pci card with the power on).

!