3E to 2E Conversion?

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

I'm looking for some good methods to convert 3E characters to 2E, and vice
versa. I know WotC has published a system for converting to 3E, but I'm
wondering if anyone knows of "cleaner" systems.

Background: I started playing back in '79, mostly 1E. I took from gaming
when 2E came out, but started again in 2E in '98. As it gets harder and
harder to find 2E games, I thought I would delve into the 3E stuff a bit. I
don't have any expereince with D20, so I thought by converting PCs back and
forth, it might help me grasp teh mechanics of D20.

MadMango wrote:
> I'm looking for some good methods to convert 3E characters to 2E, and vice
> versa. I know WotC has published a system for converting to 3E, but I'm
> wondering if anyone knows of "cleaner" systems.
>
> Background: I started playing back in '79, mostly 1E. I took from gaming
> when 2E came out, but started again in 2E in '98. As it gets harder and
> harder to find 2E games, I thought I would delve into the 3E stuff a bit. I
> don't have any expereince with D20, so I thought by converting PCs back and
> forth, it might help me grasp teh mechanics of D20.

I think the best you can get is the WotC AD&D->D&D as a guideline to convert
things back to 2nd edition. But I don't think this will give you much insight
into the D20-system, better for you to get the D&D 3rd edition PHB and DMG.
There are quite many things that has changed and new things included.

Myself I have quite a lot of 2nd edition stuff, so I will manage more than
well without new releases and I'm not much for using written adventures.

//Aho

"J.O. Aho" <user@example.net> wrote in message

> I think the best you can get is the WotC AD&D->D&D as a guideline to
> convert things back to 2nd edition. But I don't think this will give you
> much insight into the D20-system, better for you to get the D&D 3rd
> edition PHB and DMG. There are quite many things that has changed and new
> things included.
>
> //Aho

Granted, it probably won't give me any insights, but I think the exercise
might prove useful. I can remember having fun converting Star Frontiers PCs
to Gamma World, and AD&D Pcs to Boot Hill. I plan on getting the 3E PHB, do
I need to DMG also? It's hard to beleive that no one has developed their
own conversion system yet.

One thing I find interesting when comparing 1e, 2e and 3e is it seems to me
the level of required creativity and imagination of the publishers is
inversely relative to the consumers. I'm not trying to start a flame war,
just my generalization on the whole lot.

MadMango wrote:

> Granted, it probably won't give me any insights, but I think the exercise
> might prove useful. I can remember having fun converting Star Frontiers PCs
> to Gamma World, and AD&D Pcs to Boot Hill. I plan on getting the 3E PHB, do
> I need to DMG also?

Everything depends on how far into D&D 3e you want to dig into, as nopt all
the rules are in the PHB (but enough for working on some convertion system).
If you want to convert monsters, I think you will need the DMG, as the
experienc system is really different.

> It's hard to beleive that no one has developed their
> own conversion system yet

I belive that those who still play AD&D don't care much about D&D 3e, so there
have been no real use of converting back, while those who have "moved ahead"
needs a way to convert the old stuff into the new system.

You have the chance to be the one who makes a useble convertion system.

//Aho

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

There is no direct correlation 3e to 2e as the theory is different. You
would need both PHB and DMG to really get a grasp of the system. It is not a
progression from 2e to 3e but a more radical departure.
I have played both and must admit I prefer 2e, although I now play 3e as it
was a majority decision in my group.

Eddie