kingdog

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
Just iinstalled XP Pro and in the power management I have the setting to turn the hard drive off after 20 minutes. What background program is running that accesses the hard drive to prevent it from powering down? I turned off the NAV auto updates and no screen saver running. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Right click on the taskbar and select task manager. Check the processes and see which process takes up the cpu time while your system is idle.

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
After making sure which service/process takes up cpu time, then you run from start menu, type in services.msc. A list of services will appear. Check if the service that you are looking for is there or not, if it's there, disable it and reboot. Also check your startup programs. from start run menu, type msconfig. At the startup tab, disable the startup that is not needed. Remember to reboot. Check if this help.

I'll not be having internet connection for the next 2 days. Any further problems, I think the rest of the community members will answer you or I'll answer you on coming Monday...