athlon power?

G

i have an athlon IGhz machine on a abit kt7 board with a usb alcatel adsl modem with a 300W power supply. the machine powers down and reboots when I surf the net. i have tried most of the fixes on pauls kt7 home page and replaced the abit usb controlle with a lucent usb card and still have the problem. also put in an external, powered usb hub which the modem is plugged into.

BTopenworld the adsl supplier can only suggest that the modem causes spikes on the main board causing a crash.

anyone have any ideas about how to solve the problem?

david, london, uk

dhlucke

Polypheme
if your computer restarts for no reason, then it probably is a bad powersupply or the motherboard. Use the eraser on a number two pencil to poke gently on the motherboard and see if you can get the machine to restart from the gentle proding. If you can then it's probably the board.

Do you have a generic powersupply, or one from a reputable company?

"I think I brained my damage"

G

You are right on the money. It's either the power supply or motherboard. I know the power supply is 300 watts but what brand is it? I would make sure the power supply is on AMD's approved PS list. I'm betting on the mobo being bad though.