Sign in with
Your question

PC Randomly Freezes When I Watch Videos/Play Games

Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2013 6:17:02 PM

I built a PC the middle of last year, and ever since I've been having freezing problems. Either when I'm watching a video, or playing a game at random times my PC will completely freeze, forcing me to reboot. I've checked numerous threads and tried suggestions I've found there (testing different RAM, scanning for viruses, updating the bios/video card drivers, etc.) and so far nothing has worked. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W
RAM: 16GB

I also have a pretty big case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011) with two large fans. At first I thought the card might be overheating, but even under a heavy load the highest temp it ever reached was 81 degrees (and that was only once while rendering an effects heavy video).

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't necessarily want to reinstall windows (especially since in some cases not even that worked for people), but I'll try that too if I have to.
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:44:51 PM

If you have run memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/ ) and the RAM is good, I would consider doing a repair installation, rather than a clean installation, since it is pretty quick and saves your programs and data (you only need to reload the Windows 7 updates). Here is a how to if you haven't done one -- I find that often works well enough to fix random issues: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-instal...
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:16:50 PM

RealBeast said:
If you have run memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/ ) and the RAM is good, I would consider doing a repair installation, rather than a clean installation, since it is pretty quick and saves your programs and data (you only need to reload the Windows 7 updates). Here is a how to if you haven't done one -- I find that often works well enough to fix random issues: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-instal...

Thanks, I'll try that and report if it solves the freezing issue.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 9:25:36 PM

ecomog said:
Thanks, I'll try that and report if it solves the freezing issue.

You may also try running a benchmarking program for your GPU and see if it errors out during any specific sequence. Would help you to potentially isolate a possible problem.

You can find some popular ones HERE . Where did you get your GPU temp from? If you haven't already, install GPU-Z and run a string of data collection on it and see if it spikes on there.

m
l
January 9, 2013 10:30:11 PM

hedwar2011 said:
You may also try running a benchmarking program for your GPU and see if it errors out during any specific sequence. Would help you to potentially isolate a possible problem.

You can find some popular ones HERE . Where did you get your GPU temp from? If you haven't already, install GPU-Z and run a string of data collection on it and see if it spikes on there.

I'll try that as well. ASUS included a utility with the board called AI Suite which monitors temps, and provides all kinds of system info. I usually check that and Catalyst Control for my temps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 10:39:25 PM

ecomog said:
I'll try that as well. ASUS included a utility with the board called AI Suite which monitors temps, and provides all kinds of system info. I usually check that and Catalyst Control for my temps.

That's fine but everything is always better when triple confirmed. Get the temp from both AI Suite and CCC and then compare it to what GPU-Z is telling you. If they vary by I would say +/-5 degrees then you definitely have an issue there because the card isn't reporting accurately.
m
l
January 9, 2013 11:11:27 PM

hedwar2011 said:
That's fine but everything is always better when triple confirmed. Get the temp from both AI Suite and CCC and then compare it to what GPU-Z is telling you. If they vary by I would say +/-5 degrees then you definitely have an issue there because the card isn't reporting accurately.

Most definitely. I just listed those since you asked where I got the temps from. I'll try GPU-Z in a few and see what that says as well.
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:32:18 AM

Ran a benchmarking program with no issues, and my GPU temps from GPU-Z, CCC, and AI Suite are all the same. Guess it's time to try a repair install to see if that works.
m
l
January 10, 2013 5:00:05 PM

Ran memtest with no errors, and did a repair installation of Windows 7, but unfortunately I'm still experiencing freezes. Is there anything else I can try?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 6:44:23 PM

I would download and install Prime95 and then startup and run it in safe mode, that will isolate most of your drivers from the stress to distinguish between a probable hardware problem and some driver incompatibility. And keep an eye on your CPU core temps during the stress.

I assume that you are not overclocked currently since you are unstable.
m
l
January 10, 2013 6:49:01 PM

RealBeast said:
I would download and install Prime95 and then startup and run it in safe mode, that will isolate most of your drivers from the stress to distinguish between a probable hardware problem and some driver incompatibility. And keep an eye on your CPU core temps during the stress.

I assume that you are not overclocked currently since you are unstable.

Thanks, I'll try that next. And no, I haven't even attempted to overclock due to the freezing.
m
l
January 11, 2013 12:17:58 AM

Ran Prime95 for about 5 hours and no errors were reported.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 1:02:35 PM

If you would normally get a reboot in that time, then I would say all of your hardware is okay -- the problem is a driver. Although is sounds like a terrible idea, I would back up all my data and do a clean installation with only the OS drive attached (no other hdd or sdd). Check all of your bios settings to insure memory timing and controller settings (like AHCI mode) are correct just before installing after your last restart. When you start, select custom and then delete all partitions until you have one unallocated space left then let Windows install to that partition.

Then load your chipset driver (download the latest from Intel), your LAN, and then all Windows updates. Run Prime95 until happy, then load the video driver and rerun Prime95. Then you can load all the other drivers and attach all your other disk drives, then run Prime 95 one last time before installing your programs.
m
l
January 12, 2013 7:47:03 PM

RealBeast said:
If you would normally get a reboot in that time, then I would say all of your hardware is okay -- the problem is a driver. Although is sounds like a terrible idea, I would back up all my data and do a clean installation with only the OS drive attached (no other hdd or sdd). Check all of your bios settings to insure memory timing and controller settings (like AHCI mode) are correct just before installing after your last restart. When you start, select custom and then delete all partitions until you have one unallocated space left then let Windows install to that partition.

Then load your chipset driver (download the latest from Intel), your LAN, and then all Windows updates. Run Prime95 until happy, then load the video driver and rerun Prime95. Then you can load all the other drivers and attach all your other disk drives, then run Prime 95 one last time before installing your programs.

Alright, I'll try that and report back if that works.
m
l
January 12, 2013 8:25:47 PM

ecomog said:
I built a PC the middle of last year, and ever since I've been having freezing problems. Either when I'm watching a video, or playing a game at random times my PC will completely freeze, forcing me to reboot. I've checked numerous threads and tried suggestions I've found there (testing different RAM, scanning for viruses, updating the bios/video card drivers, etc.) and so far nothing has worked. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W
RAM: 16GB

I also have a pretty big case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011) with two large fans. At first I thought the card might be overheating, but even under a heavy load the highest temp it ever reached was 81 degrees (and that was only once while rendering an effects heavy video).

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't necessarily want to reinstall windows (especially since in some cases not even that worked for people), but I'll try that too if I have to.

:wahoo:  Nice spec for your computer :wahoo: 

This is what you do
Go to command prompt > Msconfig > Start up
All that stuffs start when you log into your computer
You don't need nothing running from start up, Only Malware Byte {If installed}

Ones you kill all of those processes
You going to have to restart the computer
Next
Download CCleaner
What this does remove the trash you don't need
History, Cookies, Temp, Etc
It will recover some of your hard drive space {Giga's}

Next
Download
disk defragmenter
You have in built into windows but it sucks and take longer

Seen like you have Malware attacking your hard drive and causing it to freeze up
Download
Malware byte {Full Scan}
You going to have to restart your computer
Then run Malware Byte Again
Why?
Sometime it doesn't remove it all

Or go to command prompt > Chkdsk /f
Chkdsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 8:40:03 PM

He's done all that and more. Time for a clean install. He has had the problem since the initial build. You need to make your answer specific to the problem, not just cut and paste the same answer. :) 
m
l
!