G

Dual CPU's are only good for a few games which support SMP. I don't know which ones though.

Dual CPU's are GREAT for 3D Studo Max and a few applications which support SMP.

Dual CPU's are GREAT if you typically run lots of applications at once and want a super-responsive stable system.

Dual CPU's are nice if you are running a CPU-intensive web server, but will do nothing at all for surfing the internet. Any new system will be more than sufficient for internet browsing even if you have your own T3 line.

G

I never had a dual CPU system but i was considering building one a week ego. Then i just desided to get a Athlon 1.2Ghz (nice and cheap :))

Anyway... when i was considering going duel this is what i researched

ASUS CUV4x-LDS (i think from memory) as the best choice for Dual Intel CPU mobo, has all the nice purks.

And a cheap option is Buying x2 700(E) CPU's for that mobo and overclocking both to 933Mhz (133 BUS nice and safe)

That motherboard supports frequency changes and CPU's up to 1.1 Ghz. Heat is not much of an issue couple of Golden orbs for class will do nicely. I do beleive you will need slightly more Case cooling then usual. Dual CPU mobos tend to get a little warmer.

As far as ai know Quake 3 Arena is the only game that support duel CPU.

"This message has been printed on 100% recycled Pixels, Keep your system Beautiful, Recycle"

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
No need for DUAL CPU for gameing. And yes take Crashman's advice and use WIN98SE, it is by far the fastest OS for gameing.

Someday I will stop asking all the questions!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said, I wouldn't go dual for gaming. But if I were to go dual, I think I would use the Asus P2B-DS, because it uses the BX chipset instead of VIA crap.

Suicide is painless...........

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
smp speeds up almost anything under an SMP OS like NT4 or Win2k. My friend just put a second cpu in his machine. Dual celeron Abit BP6 board. You could tell the differance in almost anything. Its worth it for more then just SMP programs.

Lets face it people, there are stupid people and stupid questions! :lol:

alphateam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Totally go dual. Most games can't use both processers at the same time, but big deal. You can play your game, burn a cd, download something else, run seti (2 instances I might add) and anything else you want without a slowdown. Its only a couple hundred $$ extra at the most and its way worth it. Hell I'm running a dual celeron 433 w/ Asus p2b-d. And I don't see slowdowns anywhere like I did with a single proc. system. I'll never go back to a single proc. system.

----
Sorry I missed church, I've been busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.

So whats the deal guys?
Some say Aye and some say Nay.

This might help. I was coming from the point of view, that hardware slows down the CPU (utilisation). Therefore two would allow more speed. I'm guessing though.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dual cpu's wouldnt beifit gaming very much. quake3 would get a few more fps than high end system with 1 cpu.

You would need to run win2k and that would reduce number of games playable alone.

best gaming on P3 or P4, go with p3 unles you buy when P4 goes to .13 micron

G

FUGGER is way biased so I wouldn't put to much stock in his/ her input. The PIII is a good processor but after building both AMD and Intel systems I have to give the nod to the AMD which nixis the duel thing for now. Honesly you don't need duels for games if you have a fast processor and video card. I run QuakeIII and Unreal tournment at 1024x768 32bit and everything wacked up to max on a PIII 450 and a 32MB TNT Ultra. I do have a second processor but it is only enabled in Linux since my windows OS is Win98SE (NT was a dog for games). My advice is get a 1.1Gig or 1.2Gig AMD and be done with this duel thing.

Mike