G

I spent $475(aus) on a new 1.1ghz AMD cpu. I was under the impression it was a TBird but when i got it home and booted up, it said Athlon.. Everything i have run says Athlon... And i am totally confused, i know the Tbird is a type of athlon, but even AMD diagnostic software says Athlon and there's never any mention of Tbird... Does anyone know how the hell i can find out? (cpu temp is an issue i hear so, 50C is my average temp with a SuperORB attached properly)

AMD Tbird 1.1Ghz & SuperORB
Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Real simple: Is it a slot or PGA (pin grid array otherwise known as a socket)? In other words does it install like a PCI card or does it have many pins (small square) and lie flat to the board?

If it is the PGA (small sqaure w/ pins) it is the T-Bird. Which most likly it is. The Athlon is old now (what I have). Plus I don't believe it comes in 1.1 GHz.

They are technically both Athlons as you have observed.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

Lies down... Socket A i think... But isn't there a new version of the Athlon that supports DDR? Coz it is socket A as well i thought... Hence my further confusion.

AMD Tbird 1.1Ghz & SuperORB
Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sure this has been explained somewhere here before but I will state it again for you as well as others who might be confused:

Thuderbird is the code name for newer Athlons. The name stuck so that users could differentiate between the 2 versions of Athlons that were out at the time of it's release.

Athlon Classic (Athlon-A)= Athlon core 100mhz fsb, 512kb off chip cache running at 1/2, 2/5 or 1/3 of core speed depending on the speed of the chip. It came in Slot-A only

Athlon Thunderbird (Athlon-B)= Athlon core 100mhz fsb, 256kb on chip cache running at full core speed in all cases. It comes mainly in Socket-A but you can find it in Slot-A if you look really hard.

Athlon Thunderbird (Athlon-C) = Same as Athlon-B but chip uses 133Mhz fsb.

Hope this clears up the mystery.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>