How did I do?/FYI/ some questions about Sony Vaio

Status
Not open for further replies.

agent2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Brand: Sony
-Model: Vaio VGN-AW350J
-Bought From/Price: Amazon.com $1400 (Dec 2009)
-CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 Processor (2.00GHz) FSB 1066 MHz,
-GPU: Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT Dedicated 512MB RAM
-Resolution:18.4-Inch XBRITE-Full HD Technology 1080P @ 60Hz HDMI Output
-RAM: 4GB DDR2 800 SDRAM (Max Supported 8GB)
-HD: 500GB SATA 5400rpm
-Optical Drive:Blu-Ray R/RW DVD+-R Double Layer / DVD±RW Drive
-Security:Biometric Fingerprint Sensor Platform Module (TPM) TCG Ver.1.2 compliant
-Usage (Gaming, Internet, Office Apps, etc…)

Ok I baught this laptop to replace my HP that was 5 years old and it was time. I had $1500 to spend and wanted as big HD screen as I could get. Before you say other laptops are cheaper I'm partial to Sony products. I also was not educated on the diffrence between i7,i5 vs dual core but for the price I think I did well concidering screen size/resolution and all the other goodies.What do you think?

Now do I like it? Yes very much. The speed is good, recently I went to Fry's and looked at some of the i7s and i5s I didn't see much diffrence in speed just doing normal stuff. I only have one complaint/warning/FYI. I got the free upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and for anyone reading this the upgrade is not Windows 7 just a big crappy patch and was hard to instal/upgrade. After I finally got it done(Downloading the drivers from the Sony site sucked) my PC ran verry slow and was maxing out one of my CPUs with very little load. I took it to a near by Sony Style several times and got the run around, blaming it on the HD screen and the Blu-ray. So, I ended up taking matters into my own hands and calling Microsoft for a replacement full version of Win7( DL the drivers from the Sony site sucked again) then the Vaio was much faster and the CPUs can handel much more load, so the moral, don't trust the upgrade disks, later I was told the same thing by someone that had similer problems. One other thing the Vaio won't talk to my Sony Bravia 2 TV or my Playstation3 very well no big deal just thought they would be more plug and play thats all. Its pretty heavy too.

Overall I would say get one even for gaming. I'll be much better once I increese the ram to 8 GB and maybe change the HD to a faster one. Watching Blu-rays on it is awsome, gaming looks great, gets alittle choppy online when there is aot going on but thats why I have a Playstation3. The battery doesn't last very long but what can you expect with a 18.4 Xbrite HD screen. I do have questions. Sony stopped making the AW models, why havent the prices came down at all for the old ones new or used? is the only changes I can make improving performance to increase Ram and change HD?

G

"I got the free upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and for anyone reading this the upgrade is not Windows 7 just a big crappy patch and was hard to instal/upgrade. After I finally got it done(Downloading the drivers from the Sony site sucked) my PC ran verry slow and was maxing out one of my CPUs with very little load. "

Interesting !

Status
Not open for further replies.