Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hi,

Due to some recently created bugs I have uploaded a new version of
Dweller. The new version is out a bit earlier than planned, but I have
managed to add a few new features in this release. New since the last
release:

2004-12-01 v.0.6.18
FIX Dropping same kind of item on occupied cell modifed amount incorrectly
NEW Small chance that weapons and ammo can be enchanted
NEW Differentiated interval between different stat increases on level up
based on player class

2004-11-28 v.0.6.17
NEW Player starts with weapons and armour equiped

2004-11-26 v.0.6.16
FIX You can no longer target a monster outside your FOV but within a clear
line of fire
FIX Savegame is deleted when dying
FIX Never repeat "You're standing on" and similar messages
FIX Arrows from enemy fire never replace existing item on the ground
CHANGE Stairs down are no longer generated on level 10
CHANGE Modifications to the combat code

2004-11-24 v.0.6.15
FIX Savegame is deleted when dying
FIX Monsters could fire through walls
CHANGE Toned down damage from perfect hits

DOWNLOAD
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad

Nokia fullscreen version
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jar
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jad

http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

"Björn Bergström" <bjorn.bergstrom@roguelikedevelopment.org> wrote in
message news:3172kfF37igfsU1@individual.net...
>Hi,
>
>Due to some recently created bugs I have uploaded a new version of
>Dweller. The new version is out a bit earlier than planned, but I have
>managed to add a few new features in this release.

Awesome to see such quick releases. :) Would it be possible to get your Java
applet (the micro-emulator) fixed so that I could try out Dweller? I'm
getting a NullPointerException upon startup, and have been dieing to try the
game out in my cellphoneless state! I mentioned this in the last release's
thread, but I'll assume you didn't see it. ;P

-- Davis Chord

Davis Chord wrote:
> "Björn Bergström" <bjorn.bergstrom@roguelikedevelopment.org> wrote in
> message news:3172kfF37igfsU1@individual.net...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Due to some recently created bugs I have uploaded a new version of
>>Dweller. The new version is out a bit earlier than planned, but I have
>>managed to add a few new features in this release.
>>

> Awesome to see such quick releases. :) Would it be possible to get your Java
> applet (the micro-emulator) fixed so that I could try out Dweller? I'm
> getting a NullPointerException upon startup, and have been dieing to try the
> game out in my cellphoneless state! I mentioned this in the last release's
> thread, but I'll assume you didn't see it. ;P

I saw it. I'm not sure why it doesn't work on the web. If I run the HTML
page locally on my machine everything runs fine... I'm actually in the
progress of writing a standalone Java application/applet that uses the
engine and abstract ui of Dweller so that all cellphoneless people can
try Dweller. The game will probably never be able to compete with modern
PC RLs, but it is a fun execise for me at least.

--

Björn Bergström wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Due to some recently created bugs I have uploaded a new version of
> Dweller. The new version is out a bit earlier than planned, but I have
> managed to add a few new features in this release. New since the last
> release:
>
> 2004-12-01 v.0.6.18
> FIX Dropping same kind of item on occupied cell modifed amount incorrectly
> NEW Small chance that weapons and ammo can be enchanted
> NEW Differentiated interval between different stat increases on level up
> based on player class
>
> 2004-11-28 v.0.6.17
> NEW Player starts with weapons and armour equiped
>
> 2004-11-26 v.0.6.16
> FIX You can no longer target a monster outside your FOV but within a clear
> line of fire
> FIX Savegame is deleted when dying
> FIX Never repeat "You're standing on" and similar messages
> FIX Arrows from enemy fire never replace existing item on the ground
> CHANGE Stairs down are no longer generated on level 10
> CHANGE Modifications to the combat code
>
> 2004-11-24 v.0.6.15
> FIX Savegame is deleted when dying
> FIX Monsters could fire through walls
> CHANGE Toned down damage from perfect hits
>
> DOWNLOAD
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>
> Nokia fullscreen version
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jad
>
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml

Thanks!

I just beat the previous version: I won! The GK had some good stats but
was prone to not resisting my slowing and poison wands. Perhaps he
should be immune to arrows? That would make it harder. I got to xp level
36 and just dived straight to depth 10 in the end (due to always
starting on the down stairs). Not sure you should end the game when you
kill him?

I worked out what the arrow bug was, and looking above I don't see a fix
for it. Any time you drop any item on top of the same type item (ie they
are allowed to stack) it looks like you are shifting the bit. For
instance mushrooms (just kill monsters over the same pile of mushrooms)
will go from 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 etc. I dare say this will
be the same with any stackable items (if I have 3 stacked healing
potions I can scum up an infinite number probably but using Drop One).

Anyway I will test the new version :)

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com

RL LINKS:
http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond/beyondrelatedlinks_20041117.html

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Due to some recently created bugs I have uploaded a new version of
>> Dweller. The new version is out a bit earlier than planned, but I have
>> managed to add a few new features in this release. New since the last
>> release:
>>
>> 2004-12-01 v.0.6.18
>> FIX Dropping same kind of item on occupied cell modifed amount
>> incorrectly
>> NEW Small chance that weapons and ammo can be enchanted
>> NEW Differentiated interval between different stat increases on level up
>> based on player class
>>
>> 2004-11-28 v.0.6.17
>> NEW Player starts with weapons and armour equiped
>>
>> 2004-11-26 v.0.6.16
>> FIX You can no longer target a monster outside your FOV but within a
>> clear
>> line of fire
>> FIX Savegame is deleted when dying
>> FIX Never repeat "You're standing on" and similar messages
>> FIX Arrows from enemy fire never replace existing item on the ground
>> CHANGE Stairs down are no longer generated on level 10
>> CHANGE Modifications to the combat code
>>
>> 2004-11-24 v.0.6.15
>> FIX Savegame is deleted when dying
>> FIX Monsters could fire through walls
>> CHANGE Toned down damage from perfect hits
>>
>> DOWNLOAD
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>>
>> Nokia fullscreen version
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jad
>>
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>

> Thanks!
>
> I just beat the previous version: I won! The GK had some good stats but
> was prone to not resisting my slowing and poison wands. Perhaps he
> should be immune to arrows? That would make it harder. I got to xp level
> 36 and just dived straight to depth 10 in the end (due to always
> starting on the down stairs). Not sure you should end the game when you
> kill him?

Perhaps not. I'd like to have more quests but the Goblin King quest, but
I do not know when I have time to implement it.

> I worked out what the arrow bug was, and looking above I don't see a fix
> for it. Any time you drop any item on top of the same type item (ie they
> are allowed to stack) it looks like you are shifting the bit. For
> instance mushrooms (just kill monsters over the same pile of mushrooms)
> will go from 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 etc. I dare say this will
> be the same with any stackable items (if I have 3 stacked healing
> potions I can scum up an infinite number probably but using Drop One).

The amount was increased with the amount of the item already lying on
the ground. So if you had 3 arrows lying on the ground and dropped one
arrow more the amount would be increased by 3, not 1.

> Anyway I will test the new version :)

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Dweller report: Nokia fullscreen on Nokia 6610 using version 0.6.18

FIXED
-----
* The stacking item multiplication seems to be fixed :) Mushrooms not
multiplying.
* The && || goblin archer through walls bug :)
* The app closes properly from the Exit on your menu! (no app errors)
* The basic load and save appear to work fine
* The stairs are the right way round :)
* You can fire at monsters under trees.
* You can no longer fire through monsters to get to monsters at back,
and vice versa ? "no target"... Suggest message change to "there is a
monster in the way!" so its clear why there is no target in this instance.
* Long bow has only the one damage message.

BUGS
----
* TYPO: "fails" instead of "fail". As in - The goblin scout fail to do
any damage. Also this message is a little long to see all the time.
* EXISTING: still noticeable slow downs in response time after being on
a level for a while (does not appear to correlate with memory).
* EXISTING: LOS can see monsters I shouldn't but now at least I can't
target them and fire arrows at them through the wall :)
* EXISTING: Incoming arrows still can wipe out item you are standing on.
eg I was standing on gold replaced by 1 arrow.
* With broad sword of fire monsters die twice (as far as messages are
concerned). You hit. The Bat Dies. Flames damage the bat. The Bat Dies.
* IN wilderness goblin was stuck, and would not move or attack me back.
I got "no target" when trying to missile fire him. He was just standing
in a regular spot in the forest where there was no tree.

CRASH
-----
* NullPointerException - occurred just stepping into a square near a
doorway, nothing apparently special (depth1, xp6). This was a while
after I had load and saved several times (don't think its related). I
was able to restore to my saved game after this crash which is good. I
went back to same spot and could not repeat crash but there was a goblin
archer near by.
* Repeated it again by saving and loading and several times (starting
from the save game mentioned above) during the one session and then
walking around got a ClassCastException for no apparent reason. I am
assuming its related to the load/saving. Seems avoidable.

LIKE
----
* Start with stuff already equipped :)
* Interesting variety on level up choices... (random list?)
* Arrows are sufficiently rare that you are better of going in with
melee against weak animals than wasting arrows on them.
* Dagger of Poison!!!! :) Broad Sword of Fire!! ;>

IDEAS
-----
* Monsters all "fail to do any damage". As discussed before I'd like to
see this split into miss/blocked. Important for gameplay to realise how
dangerous opponent is. Couldn't this be based on the amount they didn't
hit the PC by compared to the natural Def of the PC (as shown in
character screen 18/12). So if they fail to hit by more than 6 then they
"miss" otherwise it was "blocked" by the PC's armour/magic.
* No perfect hits for missile attacks, only melee.

QUESTIONS/COMMENTS
---------
* I've asked this before, what is the memory: stat actually showing?
Seems to fluctuate a lot and not be very meaningful.
* Gameplay is significantly easier now without the archer/shamans
targeting me without LOS. At least they have a long range in their favour.
* Too many perfect hits - as discussed before.

Seems very playable, no major problems, great game!

--

ABCGi wrote:
> Dweller report: Nokia fullscreen on Nokia 6610 using version 0.6.18
>
> FIXED
> -----
> * The stacking item multiplication seems to be fixed :) Mushrooms not
> multiplying.
> * The && || goblin archer through walls bug :)
> * The app closes properly from the Exit on your menu! (no app errors)
> * The basic load and save appear to work fine
> * The stairs are the right way round :)
> * You can fire at monsters under trees.
> * You can no longer fire through monsters to get to monsters at back,
> and vice versa ? "no target"... Suggest message change to "there is a
> monster in the way!" so its clear why there is no target in this instance.
> * Long bow has only the one damage message.

Good. At least I get a few bugs out of the way :)

> BUGS
> ----
> * TYPO: "fails" instead of "fail". As in - The goblin scout fail to do
> any damage. Also this message is a little long to see all the time.

Will be fixed for the next version.

> * EXISTING: still noticeable slow downs in response time after being on
> a level for a while (does not appear to correlate with memory).

I will start to do even more object pooling and do full reuse of the
different game UIs. This will hopefully decrease slowdown. The kind of
problems you are experiencing will most likely be encountered only on
older handsets. Needs to be fixed though...

> * EXISTING: LOS can see monsters I shouldn't but now at least I can't
> target them and fire arrows at them through the wall :)

FOV will be fixed in a future version. Don't known when though.

> * EXISTING: Incoming arrows still can wipe out item you are standing on.
> eg I was standing on gold replaced by 1 arrow.

Hmm.. I thought I fixed this. Will have another look.

> * With broad sword of fire monsters die twice (as far as messages are
> concerned). You hit. The Bat Dies. Flames damage the bat. The Bat Dies.

Will be fixed for the next version.

> * IN wilderness goblin was stuck, and would not move or attack me back.
> I got "no target" when trying to missile fire him. He was just standing
> in a regular spot in the forest where there was no tree.

Strange. And he wasn't standing on a piece of rock?

> CRASH
> -----
> * NullPointerException - occurred just stepping into a square near a
> doorway, nothing apparently special (depth1, xp6). This was a while
> after I had load and saved several times (don't think its related). I
> was able to restore to my saved game after this crash which is good. I
> went back to same spot and could not repeat crash but there was a goblin
> archer near by.
> * Repeated it again by saving and loading and several times (starting
> from the save game mentioned above) during the one session and then
> walking around got a ClassCastException for no apparent reason. I am
> assuming its related to the load/saving. Seems avoidable.

I'll have to try this on one of the Nokia phones at work and try to
reproduce it.

> LIKE
> ----
> * Start with stuff already equipped :)
> * Interesting variety on level up choices... (random list?)

Nope, no random list. You can increase each stat every level, every
second level or every third level depending on your character class.
Wizards have a hard time increasing Attack (every third level) while
Warriors can increase it every level.

> * Arrows are sufficiently rare that you are better of going in with
> melee against weak animals than wasting arrows on them.
> * Dagger of Poison!!!! :) Broad Sword of Fire!! ;>

This was a quick one. I'd like to get more variety into items. Artifact
items, just the basic Short Sword (+2) and so on. This will be one of my
priorities.

> IDEAS
> -----
> * Monsters all "fail to do any damage". As discussed before I'd like to
> see this split into miss/blocked. Important for gameplay to realise how
> dangerous opponent is. Couldn't this be based on the amount they didn't
> hit the PC by compared to the natural Def of the PC (as shown in
> character screen 18/12). So if they fail to hit by more than 6 then they
> "miss" otherwise it was "blocked" by the PC's armour/magic.

Sure, I can add this. I'll have a look at it and try to get it for the
next version.

> * No perfect hits for missile attacks, only melee.
>

> QUESTIONS/COMMENTS
> ---------
> * I've asked this before, what is the memory: stat actually showing?
> Seems to fluctuate a lot and not be very meaningful.

The memory shown is the amount free memory, as in Runtime.freeMemory().
It would be interesting to show Runtime.totalMemory() as well. I'll add
this.

> * Gameplay is significantly easier now without the archer/shamans
> targeting me without LOS. At least they have a long range in their favour.
> * Too many perfect hits - as discussed before.

Yes, currently it is very easy to score perfect hits on a weak/low level
monster. This needs to be tweaked.

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Dweller report: Nokia fullscreen on Nokia 6610 using version 0.6.18
>>
>> FIXED
>> -----
>> * The stacking item multiplication seems to be fixed :) Mushrooms not
>> multiplying.
>> * The && || goblin archer through walls bug :)
>> * The app closes properly from the Exit on your menu! (no app errors)
>> * The basic load and save appear to work fine
>> * The stairs are the right way round :)
>> * You can fire at monsters under trees.
>> * You can no longer fire through monsters to get to monsters at back,
>> and vice versa ? "no target"... Suggest message change to "there is a
>> monster in the way!" so its clear why there is no target in this
>> instance.
>> * Long bow has only the one damage message.
>
> Good. At least I get a few bugs out of the way :)
>
>> BUGS
>> ----
>> * TYPO: "fails" instead of "fail". As in - The goblin scout fail to do
>> any damage. Also this message is a little long to see all the time.
>
> Will be fixed for the next version.
>
>> * EXISTING: still noticeable slow downs in response time after being
>> on a level for a while (does not appear to correlate with memory).
>
> I will start to do even more object pooling and do full reuse of the
> different game UIs. This will hopefully decrease slowdown. The kind of
> problems you are experiencing will most likely be encountered only on
> older handsets. Needs to be fixed though...

6610 is an older handset already ??? :( *damn* *it*

>> * EXISTING: LOS can see monsters I shouldn't but now at least I can't
>> target them and fire arrows at them through the wall :)
>
> FOV will be fixed in a future version. Don't known when though.
>
>> * EXISTING: Incoming arrows still can wipe out item you are standing
>> on. eg I was standing on gold replaced by 1 arrow.
>
> Hmm.. I thought I fixed this. Will have another look.

Confirmed, lost an item I was standing on once. I think you stop an
arrow dropping on top of an existing arrow only?

>> * With broad sword of fire monsters die twice (as far as messages are
>> concerned). You hit. The Bat Dies. Flames damage the bat. The Bat Dies.
>
> Will be fixed for the next version.
>
>> * IN wilderness goblin was stuck, and would not move or attack me
>> back. I got "no target" when trying to missile fire him. He was just
>> standing in a regular spot in the forest where there was no tree.
>
> Strange. And he wasn't standing on a piece of rock?

That's what I thought, so I walked up and stabbed him with my broad
sword of fire - and he died - and there was nothing.

>> CRASH
>> -----
>> * NullPointerException - occurred just stepping into a square near a
>> doorway, nothing apparently special (depth1, xp6). This was a while
>> after I had load and saved several times (don't think its related). I
>> was able to restore to my saved game after this crash which is good. I
>> went back to same spot and could not repeat crash but there was a
>> goblin archer near by.
>> * Repeated it again by saving and loading and several times (starting
>> from the save game mentioned above) during the one session and then
>> walking around got a ClassCastException for no apparent reason. I am
>> assuming its related to the load/saving. Seems avoidable.
>
> I'll have to try this on one of the Nokia phones at work and try to
> reproduce it.

Yes I cannot reliably reproduce it - but will keep eye out.

>> LIKE
>> ----
>> * Start with stuff already equipped :)
>> * Interesting variety on level up choices... (random list?)
>
> Nope, no random list. You can increase each stat every level, every
> second level or every third level depending on your character class.
> Wizards have a hard time increasing Attack (every third level) while
> Warriors can increase it every level.

GREAT IDEA!!!! Class difference! YAY :)

>> * Arrows are sufficiently rare that you are better of going in with
>> melee against weak animals than wasting arrows on them.
>> * Dagger of Poison!!!! :) Broad Sword of Fire!! ;>
>
> This was a quick one. I'd like to get more variety into items. Artifact
> items, just the basic Short Sword (+2) and so on. This will be one of my
> priorities.

sword (+2) will make for interesting choices between which weapon to
use, instead of just always using broad axe :)

>> IDEAS
>> -----
>> * Monsters all "fail to do any damage". As discussed before I'd like
>> to see this split into miss/blocked. Important for gameplay to realise
>> how dangerous opponent is. Couldn't this be based on the amount they
>> didn't hit the PC by compared to the natural Def of the PC (as shown
>> in character screen 18/12). So if they fail to hit by more than 6 then
>> they "miss" otherwise it was "blocked" by the PC's armour/magic.
>
> Sure, I can add this. I'll have a look at it and try to get it for the
> next version.

*flavour* ;>

>> * No perfect hits for missile attacks, only melee.
>>
>> QUESTIONS/COMMENTS
>> ---------
>> * I've asked this before, what is the memory: stat actually showing?
>> Seems to fluctuate a lot and not be very meaningful.
>
> The memory shown is the amount free memory, as in Runtime.freeMemory().
> It would be interesting to show Runtime.totalMemory() as well. I'll add
> this.

Hmmm it doesn't seem right, I can't see how free memory jumps around so
much when the game state doesn't change much between turns. BICBW.

>> * Gameplay is significantly easier now without the archer/shamans
>> targeting me without LOS. At least they have a long range in their
>> favour.
>> * Too many perfect hits - as discussed before.
>
> Yes, currently it is very easy to score perfect hits on a weak/low level
> monster. This needs to be tweaked.
>

>> Seems very playable, no major problems, great game!
>
> Thanks!

:)

--

Björn Bergström wrote:

> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Due to some recently created bugs I have uploaded a new version of
>>> Dweller. The new version is out a bit earlier than planned, but I have
>>> managed to add a few new features in this release. New since the last
>>> release:
>>>
>>> 2004-12-01 v.0.6.18
>>> FIX Dropping same kind of item on occupied cell modifed amount
>>> incorrectly
>>> NEW Small chance that weapons and ammo can be enchanted
>>> NEW Differentiated interval between different stat increases on level up
>>> based on player class
>>>
>>> 2004-11-28 v.0.6.17
>>> NEW Player starts with weapons and armour equiped
>>>
>>> 2004-11-26 v.0.6.16
>>> FIX You can no longer target a monster outside your FOV but within a
>>> clear
>>> line of fire
>>> FIX Savegame is deleted when dying
>>> FIX Never repeat "You're standing on" and similar messages
>>> FIX Arrows from enemy fire never replace existing item on the ground
>>> CHANGE Stairs down are no longer generated on level 10
>>> CHANGE Modifications to the combat code
>>>
>>> 2004-11-24 v.0.6.15
>>> FIX Savegame is deleted when dying
>>> FIX Monsters could fire through walls
>>> CHANGE Toned down damage from perfect hits
>>>
>>> DOWNLOAD
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>>>
>>> Nokia fullscreen version
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jar
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jad
>>>
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> I just beat the previous version: I won! The GK had some good stats
>> but was prone to not resisting my slowing and poison wands. Perhaps he
>> should be immune to arrows? That would make it harder. I got to xp
>> level 36 and just dived straight to depth 10 in the end (due to always
>> starting on the down stairs). Not sure you should end the game when
>> you kill him?
>
> Perhaps not. I'd like to have more quests but the Goblin King quest, but
> I do not know when I have time to implement it.

Perhaps just randomly generate lower levels according to some formula
and allow those who would like to play on a bit more to do so (but take
away the up stairs after depth 20!)?

>> I worked out what the arrow bug was, and looking above I don't see a
>> fix for it. Any time you drop any item on top of the same type item
>> (ie they are allowed to stack) it looks like you are shifting the bit.
>> For instance mushrooms (just kill monsters over the same pile of
>> mushrooms) will go from 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 etc. I dare
>> say this will be the same with any stackable items (if I have 3
>> stacked healing potions I can scum up an infinite number probably but
>> using Drop One).
>
> The amount was increased with the amount of the item already lying on
> the ground. So if you had 3 arrows lying on the ground and dropped one
> arrow more the amount would be increased by 3, not 1.

heh, yeah that fits.

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:

[snip fixed and bugs]

>>> * EXISTING: still noticeable slow downs in response time after being
>>> on a level for a while (does not appear to correlate with memory).
>>

>> I will start to do even more object pooling and do full reuse of the
>> different game UIs. This will hopefully decrease slowdown. The kind of
>> problems you are experiencing will most likely be encountered only on
>> older handsets. Needs to be fixed though...
>
> 6610 is an older handset already ??? :( *damn* *it*

I'm afraid so. It was released late 2002/early 2003 in Sweden.

[snip bugs]

>>> * IN wilderness goblin was stuck, and would not move or attack me
>>> back. I got "no target" when trying to missile fire him. He was just
>>> standing in a regular spot in the forest where there was no tree.
>>
>> Strange. And he wasn't standing on a piece of rock?
>
> That's what I thought, so I walked up and stabbed him with my broad
> sword of fire - and he died - and there was nothing.

Hmm... wierd. I'll keep an eye out for it.

>>> CRASH
>>> -----
>>> * NullPointerException - occurred just stepping into a square near a
>>> doorway, nothing apparently special (depth1, xp6). This was a while
>>> after I had load and saved several times (don't think its related). I
>>> was able to restore to my saved game after this crash which is good.
>>> I went back to same spot and could not repeat crash but there was a
>>> goblin archer near by.
>>> * Repeated it again by saving and loading and several times (starting
>>> from the save game mentioned above) during the one session and then
>>> walking around got a ClassCastException for no apparent reason. I am
>>> assuming its related to the load/saving. Seems avoidable.
>>
>> I'll have to try this on one of the Nokia phones at work and try to
>> reproduce it.
>
> Yes I cannot reliably reproduce it - but will keep eye out.

Let me know if you find any pattern.

[snip class and item variety, flavour]

>>> * No perfect hits for missile attacks, only melee.
>>>
>>> QUESTIONS/COMMENTS
>>> ---------
>>> * I've asked this before, what is the memory: stat actually showing?
>>> Seems to fluctuate a lot and not be very meaningful.
>>

>> The memory shown is the amount free memory, as in
>> Runtime.freeMemory(). It would be interesting to show
>> Runtime.totalMemory() as well. I'll add this.
>

> Hmmm it doesn't seem right, I can't see how free memory jumps around so
> much when the game state doesn't change much between turns. BICBW.

I'm not sure, but I guess that the shared heap memory is used by system
resources as well.

--

Björn Bergström wrote:

> ABCGi wrote:

>>> Strange. And he wasn't standing on a piece of rock?
>>
>> That's what I thought, so I walked up and stabbed him with my broad
>> sword of fire - and he died - and there was nothing.
>
> Hmm... wierd. I'll keep an eye out for it.

This seems to be more to do with the LOS "No target" code, I sometimes
get no target when I shouldn't, can't work out if its because of the
tree, or another monster considered to be in the road or where I'm
standing on a tree. Shows up if you start a game as wizard and try
casting spells...

--

ABCGi wrote:

> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:

>>> That's what I thought, so I walked up and stabbed him with my broad
>>> sword of fire - and he died - and there was nothing.
>>
>> Hmm... wierd. I'll keep an eye out for it.
>
> This seems to be more to do with the LOS "No target" code, I sometimes
> get no target when I shouldn't, can't work out if its because of the
> tree, or another monster considered to be in the road or where I'm
> standing on a tree. Shows up if you start a game as wizard and try
> casting spells...

THE LOAD/SAVE BUG

App Error - class exception

To repeat;
1. Open Dweller
2. Start New Game
3. Choose Ranger/Wizard (we need missile/magic fire)
4. Save game once
5. Save game twice (does not have to be straight away just in same session)
6. Exit game either via menu (which auto-saves) or red button (which
does not auto-save), it doesn't matter
7. Restart Dweller
8. Load game
9. Target a targetable monster and fire (with missile or magic) = class
exception every time. Does not hang if you get "No Target" only if its a
valid shot. Does not hang on melee either.

To avoid this never save game more than once in a session. Even better
never save and just exit properly which uses auto-save so you can load
from there when you come back.

--

ABCGi wrote:

> THE LOAD/SAVE BUG
>
> App Error - class exception
>
> To repeat;
> 1. Open Dweller
> 2. Start New Game
> 3. Choose Ranger/Wizard (we need missile/magic fire)
> 4. Save game once
> 5. Save game twice (does not have to be straight away just in same session)
> 6. Exit game either via menu (which auto-saves) or red button (which
> does not auto-save), it doesn't matter
> 7. Restart Dweller
> 8. Load game
> 9. Target a targetable monster and fire (with missile or magic) = class
> exception every time. Does not hang if you get "No Target" only if its a
> valid shot. Does not hang on melee either.
>
> To avoid this never save game more than once in a session. Even better
> never save and just exit properly which uses auto-save so you can load
> from there when you come back.

There also seems to be some other inconsistency with the load save.
Normally I just save then exit. Then later start the game up and load.
Even under this regime after about my 7th time doing this the load game
shortly after led to an application crash (either class exception or
index out of range) while attacking a monster - effectively making the
save game useless and I have to start again.

I'm back to not trusting the load/save and just leaving my game running...

--

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> THE LOAD/SAVE BUG
>>
>> App Error - class exception
>>
>> To repeat;
>> 1. Open Dweller
>> 2. Start New Game
>> 3. Choose Ranger/Wizard (we need missile/magic fire)
>> 4. Save game once
>> 5. Save game twice (does not have to be straight away just in same
>> session)
>> 6. Exit game either via menu (which auto-saves) or red button (which
>> does not auto-save), it doesn't matter
>> 7. Restart Dweller
>> 8. Load game
>> 9. Target a targetable monster and fire (with missile or magic) =
>> class exception every time. Does not hang if you get "No Target" only
>> if its a valid shot. Does not hang on melee either.
>>
>> To avoid this never save game more than once in a session. Even better
>> never save and just exit properly which uses auto-save so you can load
>> from there when you come back.
>

> There also seems to be some other inconsistency with the load save.
> Normally I just save then exit. Then later start the game up and load.
> Even under this regime after about my 7th time doing this the load game
> shortly after led to an application crash (either class exception or
> index out of range) while attacking a monster - effectively making the
> save game useless and I have to start again.
>
> I'm back to not trusting the load/save and just leaving my game running...

Hmm... strange. RecordStores (Db like persistant storage on cellphones)
are known to be quite buggy. I will give it a good look during the weekend.

Best regards,

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>> THE LOAD/SAVE BUG
>>>
>>> App Error - class exception
>>>
>>> To repeat;
>>> 1. Open Dweller
>>> 2. Start New Game
>>> 3. Choose Ranger/Wizard (we need missile/magic fire)
>>> 4. Save game once
>>> 5. Save game twice (does not have to be straight away just in same
>>> session)
>>> 6. Exit game either via menu (which auto-saves) or red button (which
>>> does not auto-save), it doesn't matter
>>> 7. Restart Dweller
>>> 8. Load game
>>> 9. Target a targetable monster and fire (with missile or magic) =
>>> class exception every time. Does not hang if you get "No Target" only
>>> if its a valid shot. Does not hang on melee either.
>>>
>>> To avoid this never save game more than once in a session. Even
>>> better never save and just exit properly which uses auto-save so you
>>> can load from there when you come back.
>>
>> There also seems to be some other inconsistency with the load save.
>> Normally I just save then exit. Then later start the game up and load.
>> Even under this regime after about my 7th time doing this the load
>> game shortly after led to an application crash (either class exception
>> or index out of range) while attacking a monster - effectively making
>> the save game useless and I have to start again.

Correction: the two types of errors I get in the above circumstance are;

* NullPointerException
* Class exception

>> I'm back to not trusting the load/save and just leaving my game
>> running...
>
> Hmm... strange. RecordStores (Db like persistant storage on cellphones)
> are known to be quite buggy. I will give it a good look during the weekend.

Cool :)

--

ABCGi wrote:

> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:

>>> There also seems to be some other inconsistency with the load save.
>>> Normally I just save then exit. Then later start the game up and
>>> load. Even under this regime after about my 7th time doing this the
>>> load game shortly after led to an application crash (either class
>>> exception or index out of range) while attacking a monster -
>>> effectively making the save game useless and I have to start again.
>

> Correction: the two types of errors I get in the above circumstance are;
>
> * NullPointerException
> * Class exception
>
>>> I'm back to not trusting the load/save and just leaving my game
>>> running...
>>

>> Hmm... strange. RecordStores (Db like persistant storage on
>> cellphones) are known to be quite buggy. I will give it a good look
>> during the weekend.

Just wanted to keep you updated on this. I've managed to reproduce it in
the emulator (A Good Thing TM), although it doesn't happen all the time.
I also have a good clue to where it happens. Hopefully it will be solved
before the end of this week.

--

Björn Bergström wrote:

> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:

>> Correction: the two types of errors I get in the above circumstance are;
>>
>> * NullPointerException
>> * Class exception

I got the NullPointerException today just walking around shortly after
restoring a save game.

>>> Hmm... strange. RecordStores (Db like persistant storage on
>>> cellphones) are known to be quite buggy. I will give it a good look
>>> during the weekend.
>
> Just wanted to keep you updated on this. I've managed to reproduce it in
> the emulator (A Good Thing TM), although it doesn't happen all the time.
> I also have a good clue to where it happens. Hopefully it will be solved
> before the end of this week.

Ah good. I am not the crazee man! Another possibly related problem is a
save game that gets "locked", I had a savegame that led to a crash and
started a new game and saved and exited but coming back in just loaded
the old "locked" savegame. So the new save didn't take - again an option
on the menu to delete any and all savegames may be worthwhile?

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com
*legally blind in 1i*

Björn Bergström wrote:

> DOWNLOAD
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>
> Nokia fullscreen version
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jad
>
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml

damn posted this against the wrong version!

* New bug, jackal attacked me 8 times in a row as wizard, died.
Recurrence of an old bug, quite rare, only happened the once so far.

Couple new ideas, playing a lot of wizard lately;

* A spellcasting skill (for the wizard, like the fighting skill idea for
the warrior), that you can put a point to instead of a stat (every 3
levels or something, or whatever you think for skills). This becomes
important for the next idea...

* A wizard can apply more than 1 MP to a spell up to his current
spellcasting skill level. For the fire spell this increases damage,
cumulative penalty on chance of success, increased damage on backfire.
For the teleport spell putting more MP into the spell simply increases
the chance of success.

--

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> DOWNLOAD
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>>
>> Nokia fullscreen version
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jad
>>
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>

> damn posted this against the wrong version!
>
> * New bug, jackal attacked me 8 times in a row as wizard, died.
> Recurrence of an old bug, quite rare, only happened the once so far.
>
> Couple new ideas, playing a lot of wizard lately;
>
> * A spellcasting skill (for the wizard, like the fighting skill idea for
> the warrior), that you can put a point to instead of a stat (every 3
> levels or something, or whatever you think for skills). This becomes
> important for the next idea...
>
> * A wizard can apply more than 1 MP to a spell up to his current
> spellcasting skill level. For the fire spell this increases damage,
> cumulative penalty on chance of success, increased damage on backfire.
> For the teleport spell putting more MP into the spell simply increases
> the chance of success.

I will add these suggestions to my list of ideas. How would the UI work
for the apply more than 1 MP thing?

Currently I'm working on things like invisible monsters and character
skill/abilities/spells to differentiate the classes a bit more. I have
made a few nice improvements already, but I haven't had time to do a
proper release yet. Hopefully I'll have time to do a release sometime
during this week.

--

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>>
>>> DOWNLOAD
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>>>
>>> Nokia fullscreen version
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jar
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.jad
>>>
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>>
>> damn posted this against the wrong version!
>>
>> * New bug, jackal attacked me 8 times in a row as wizard, died.
>> Recurrence of an old bug, quite rare, only happened the once so far.
>>
>> Couple new ideas, playing a lot of wizard lately;
>>
>> * A spellcasting skill (for the wizard, like the fighting skill idea
>> for the warrior), that you can put a point to instead of a stat (every
>> 3 levels or something, or whatever you think for skills). This becomes
>> important for the next idea...
>>
>> * A wizard can apply more than 1 MP to a spell up to his current
>> spellcasting skill level. For the fire spell this increases damage,
>> cumulative penalty on chance of success, increased damage on backfire.
>> For the teleport spell putting more MP into the spell simply increases
>> the chance of success.
>
> I will add these suggestions to my list of ideas. How would the UI work
> for the apply more than 1 MP thing?

Good question.

SUGGESTION: After use for the book, when the targeting comes up, you
click * to ramp down, and # to ramp up. During targeting these buttons
are not in use currently and are ignored if pressed. You would show the
current power level in the status line?

> Currently I'm working on things like invisible monsters and character
> skill/abilities/spells to differentiate the classes a bit more. I have
> made a few nice improvements already, but I haven't had time to do a
> proper release yet. Hopefully I'll have time to do a release sometime
> during this week.

Sweet! I guess the ranger skill should be archery... (warrior =
fighting, wizard = spell casting).

BTW Today, I loaded a wizard game, I went to the surface and found a '@'
character in the forest!!! (before attacking any monsters since
"ClassCastException". Weirdness, but maybe a clue about load bug.

--

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:

[snip]
>>> Couple new ideas, playing a lot of wizard lately;
>>>
>>> * A spellcasting skill (for the wizard, like the fighting skill idea
>>> for the warrior), that you can put a point to instead of a stat
>>> (every 3 levels or something, or whatever you think for skills). This
>>> becomes important for the next idea...
>>>
>>> * A wizard can apply more than 1 MP to a spell up to his current
>>> spellcasting skill level. For the fire spell this increases damage,
>>> cumulative penalty on chance of success, increased damage on
>>> backfire. For the teleport spell putting more MP into the spell
>>> simply increases the chance of success.
>>

>> I will add these suggestions to my list of ideas. How would the UI
>> work for the apply more than 1 MP thing?
>

> Good question.
>
> SUGGESTION: After use for the book, when the targeting comes up, you
> click * to ramp down, and # to ramp up. During targeting these buttons
> are not in use currently and are ignored if pressed. You would show the
> current power level in the status line?

Hmm, yeah, this could work. I'll add this to the ideas list. Thanks.

>> Currently I'm working on things like invisible monsters and character
>> skill/abilities/spells to differentiate the classes a bit more. I have
>> made a few nice improvements already, but I haven't had time to do a
>> proper release yet. Hopefully I'll have time to do a release sometime
>> during this week.
>

> Sweet! I guess the ranger skill should be archery... (warrior =
> fighting, wizard = spell casting).
>
> BTW Today, I loaded a wizard game, I went to the surface and found a '@'
> character in the forest!!! (before attacking any monsters since
> "ClassCastException". Weirdness, but maybe a clue about load bug.

Yeah, it is definately the load bug. It could cause some really weird
behaviour, but it is solved in the new version. My schedule for this
week is pretty full, so I might just release what I have right now and
wait with invisible creatures and other goodies until I have more time.

BR,

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>>
> [snip]

>>> I will add these suggestions to my list of ideas. How would the UI
>>> work for the apply more than 1 MP thing?
>>

>> Good question.
>>
>> SUGGESTION: After use for the book, when the targeting comes up, you
>> click * to ramp down, and # to ramp up. During targeting these buttons
>> are not in use currently and are ignored if pressed. You would show
>> the current power level in the status line?
>

> Hmm, yeah, this could work. I'll add this to the ideas list. Thanks.

Cool.

>>> Currently I'm working on things like invisible monsters and character
>>> skill/abilities/spells to differentiate the classes a bit more. I
>>> have made a few nice improvements already, but I haven't had time to
>>> do a proper release yet. Hopefully I'll have time to do a release
>>> sometime during this week.
>>

>> Sweet! I guess the ranger skill should be archery... (warrior =
>> fighting, wizard = spell casting).
>>
>> BTW Today, I loaded a wizard game, I went to the surface and found a
>> '@' character in the forest!!! (before attacking any monsters since
>> "ClassCastException". Weirdness, but maybe a clue about load bug.
>

> Yeah, it is definately the load bug. It could cause some really weird
> behaviour, but it is solved in the new version. My schedule for this
> week is pretty full, so I might just release what I have right now and
> wait with invisible creatures and other goodies until I have more time.

Goodie...

ABCGi wrote:

> Björn Bergström wrote:
>>> SUGGESTION: After use for the book, when the targeting comes up, you
>>> click * to ramp down, and # to ramp up. During targeting these
>>> buttons are not in use currently and are ignored if pressed. You
>>> would show the current power level in the status line?
>>
>> Hmm, yeah, this could work. I'll add this to the ideas list. Thanks.
>
> Cool.

OMG! Just had a great idea for a better use for this. Press 0 for targeting;

Defaults to looking around if you have nothing
Defaults to bows and arrows if you have them both equipped
Defaults to Book of fire if you have it and have no bow/arrow equipped

Now;
# - flips through looking/firing/each book!
* - increases spell power to max then back to 1 for books!

* could also be used when firing bow and arrow to switch between an
accurate shot (takes longer) or a fast shot (quicker but less accurate).

It's so intuitative[sic] that it didn't occur to me!!!

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:

>>> Hmm, yeah, this could work. I'll add this to the ideas list. Thanks.
>>

>> Cool.
>

> OMG! Just had a great idea for a better use for this. Press 0 for
> targeting;
>
> Defaults to looking around if you have nothing
> Defaults to bows and arrows if you have them both equipped
> Defaults to Book of fire if you have it and have no bow/arrow equipped
>
> Now;
> # - flips through looking/firing/each book!
> * - increases spell power to max then back to 1 for books!
>
> * could also be used when firing bow and arrow to switch between an
> accurate shot (takes longer) or a fast shot (quicker but less accurate).
>
> It's so intuitative[sic] that it didn't occur to me!!!

Yes, this is a much better way of doing this. I will definately
implement, at least the # function at first and then later on a use for
* (possibly like you suggested or for cycling between targets). Thanks
for the really nice suggestion!