Sign in with
Your question

It seam like someone has taken control of my pc

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
January 9, 2013 7:29:53 PM

Hello,
What do I do if somone take control of my pc?
Someone take picture thru my camera and it seams like I have lost my administrator privilegs.
Also I was trying to log into them and my window responded that my nformation werebeing sent thru insecure way and i was advised to not enter my admin name and password but it was too late already.

More about : seam control

January 9, 2013 7:40:26 PM

Well, how likely do you think it is that you encountered a virus?

If it's as bad as you say it is, your best bet is to wipe everything and start anew. You can try taking it to someone to fix it, but I don't know if it's worth it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:05:33 PM

I would start wirh a malwarebytes scan. a total wipe may be nessary but lets not jump the gun.
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:34:50 PM

"my window responded that my nformation werebeing sent thru insecure way and i was advised to not enter my admin name and password but it was too late already."

What program said this? How do you know someone took a picture?
This sounds like a fakeAV scare tactic.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:47:36 PM

If your system is really compromised, you need to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. Or find someone who really knows what they are doing. This isn't something that can easily be solved with help from a message board. Rootkits and such are too tricky.

And to me, its sounds like malware and not just a fakeAV issue.
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:51:36 PM

If your PC's been hacked. Then common sense would be to disconnect it from the internet? That will stop from them connecting to you. Then run malwarebytes etc. Then if you want to be safe Wipe your PC clean with a fresh Windows installation.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:01:20 PM

At this point your system is lost. Attempting to back anything up or running a malware scanner is risky. Given that your system is this compromised there is little you can do to save it.

Reformat the drive
Do a clean OS install from a CD/DVD (Do NOT attempt a system restore)
Watch what sites you visit in the future

This really is your only option
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 9:06:49 PM

Someone who knows what they are doing can save the data safely. Find someone who does, if have data you need to save.
m
l
January 9, 2013 10:47:23 PM

FALC0N said:
Someone who knows what they are doing can save the data safely. Find someone who does, if have data you need to save.

I would consider this wasted effort. I can remove compromises this bad but rarely ever do. Even though I can fix a system this bad I always wipe it, it's not worth my time to fix a system in this bad a shape (if you have say your Thesis on this machine I say too bad, I'm not here to fix your mistakes).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 10:56:12 PM

ddpruitt said:
I would consider this wasted effort. I can remove compromises this bad but rarely ever do. Even though I can fix a system this bad I always wipe it, it's not worth my time to fix a system in this bad a shape (if you have say your Thesis on this machine I say too bad, I'm not here to fix your mistakes).

Ok, if you say so. But its not that hard to save data. Not hard at all.
m
l
January 9, 2013 11:00:15 PM

ss202sl said:
"my window responded that my nformation werebeing sent thru insecure way and i was advised to not enter my admin name and password but it was too late already."

What program said this? How do you know someone took a picture?
This sounds like a fakeAV scare tactic.

This guy right here has a really good point.
m
l
January 9, 2013 11:16:32 PM

FALC0N said:
Ok, if you say so. But its not that hard to save data. Not hard at all.

Yea but that means creating a boot CD on another system and using that.
Then I have to hunt down all the data that the owner "needs" which takes hours on end
Save the data to an empty drive (don't really care what kind)
Scanning the saved data with at least 2 programs
And then restoring the data on top of having to still wipe and reinstall the OS and everything else.

And I'd bet dollars to donuts the same thing's going to happen again because the owner will be looking for warez and torrentz in all the wrong places again.

Like I said, not worth my time. Like I tell everyone:

If it's important back it up in more than one place.
m
l
!