Sign in with
Your question

How to connect two wireless routers wirelessly

Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2013 7:41:39 PM

Hey,

I have a wireless router linksys connected to the modern witch is on the second floor. I want to connect another router linksys on the same network that the one on the second floor is on, wirelessly without any cords on the first floor. How can I do that help please.
January 9, 2013 7:55:07 PM

How's about a powerline adapter? About 35 quid, and nice and easy to fit. You can then plug each router into one of the adapters, and use one as a router, and one as a repeater (providing your router supports this).
January 9, 2013 8:00:46 PM

i dont have a powerline adapter
Related resources
January 9, 2013 8:10:59 PM

I assume you want to do this so that you can attach a couple devices that don't have wireless capability. If you only want to connect one device, you can use something like a media bridge or a gaming bridge/adapter that provides 1 ethernet port.

If you need to attach several pieces of gear via ethernet, then look up bridge mode or client bridge mode.

I recommend that both devices be the same brand. If possible, I also recommend using DD-WRT firmware as that's what I've used to do exactly what you describe and there's tons of info on how to do it online.
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:15:53 PM

What you want is probably a range extender or repeater.
January 9, 2013 8:16:17 PM

im just trying to connect this router wirelessly so that it can be on the same network from the one thats on the second floor
January 9, 2013 8:17:30 PM

MC_K7 said:
What you want is probably a range extender or repeater.

can i do it just wirelessly so that the one on the first floor can connect wirelessly to the one on the second floor while being on the same network?
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:18:14 PM

Depending on your router you may be able to set one of them as a slave/repeater/extender to the other one, however you want to call it. What are the exact router models?
January 9, 2013 8:24:50 PM

I would go with the Cisco/Linksys wireless extender/repeater - instructions are simple as long as you're configuring from a laptop connected to the wireless network you want to extender. That's what I am using to get full signal throughout my house.
January 9, 2013 8:26:40 PM

chugot9218 said:
Depending on your router you may be able to set one of them as a slave/repeater/extender to the other one, however you want to call it. What are the exact router models?

the one that is connected to the modern is linsys cisco E1200 and the one that i want to put wirelessly is WRT54G2
January 9, 2013 8:32:27 PM

The WRT54G2 cannot be used as a repeater as far as I'm aware. Again, I think you're best off buying a powerline adapter, or a different repeater.
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 8:44:56 PM

Ahh yes, not a wireless repeater, if you connect them physically then you can use it as an access point.
January 9, 2013 9:14:39 PM

Nice spot re DDWRT! Not something I've seen before.
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 10:12:06 PM

Yup! I was fixing to say something about DD-WRT but be certain that it is a router that you don't need elsewhere because you may not be able to flash it back.

Some of the higher-end routers (N600 and up) should also support Gateway or Ad-Hoc mode both wired and wirelessly. Not sure why you would want 2 wireless routers on the same network though cause you will get the same coverage out of a Powerline AV adapter or a repeater and don't have to worry about computers getting confused on the network as to who is talking to what.
!