Which AD&D do you prefer 2e or 3e?

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

I have played 1e (basic, expert and advanced), 2e and 3e. I must admit to
preferring 2e. It seems to me that now WOC have taken over there will be
more and more books etc. to keep the profits going!

--
Regards,

Eddie Brown

<egbrownnospm@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>I have played 1e (basic, expert and advanced), 2e and 3e. I must admit to
>preferring 2e. It seems to me that now WOC have taken over there will be
>more and more books etc. to keep the profits going!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Eddie Brown

It wasn't an option so I won't say 1e. =)

I prefer 2e, Even with all it's "misgivings". Things weren't so set in
stone and this allowed groups of folks to develop their own rules to cover
those gaps. It used to be a treat to play with a different group from
across town because they had their own House Rules. Some you liked, others
you hated, but you know what? It was still fun to discover these. It seems
to me that 3e and the adpotion of the D20 system ensured that D&D will
appeal to the lowest common denominator. When you dilute something like
this, it loses something. I just haven't been able to put my finger on it
yet.

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

egbrownnospm@bigfoot.com wrote:
> I have played 1e (basic, expert and advanced), 2e and 3e. I must admit to
> preferring 2e. It seems to me that now WOC have taken over there will be
> more and more books etc. to keep the profits going!

I haven't seen som much of D&D3rd, I have a PHB for it and I have played once.
I do prefear the AD&D 2nd edition, which I mix a bit with "The Players
Option". D&D was one of my first english languaged RPGs that I played, it's a
bit limited, but with the Gazette extentions it got better, we moved stright
ahead to 2nd editon of AD&D, so I don't have much experience from that game
more than a couple of small Forgotten Realms expantions that was written for
1st edition and never released for 2nd edition.

WotC has been holding AD&D/D&D for a long time now, and of course they do as
TSR did, flood the market with new books and re-edited versions of old ones to
fit the new system.

//Aho

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:16:14 GMT, <egbrownnospm@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I have played 1e (basic, expert and advanced), 2e and 3e. I must admit to
>preferring 2e. It seems to me that now WOC have taken over there will be
>more and more books etc. to keep the profits going!

Simply because I have the Core Rules cd-roms and buttloads of exported
files from sites like Fantaseum and Planetadnd.com, I have to go with
2nd edition - even though I do use a few rules from 1st like the
original rules for rangers and barbarians and bringing back double
specialization and a few of the "classes" from Dragon magazine like
the revised psionicist in #76.

My AD&D game is also heavily laced with stuff from other fantasy games
such as Arduin Grimoire (for really nasty monsters and spells) and
Rolemaster (crits and fumbles are fun).

"Vance Astro" <jonnjonnzz@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

>I have played 1e (basic, expert and advanced), 2e and 3e. I must admit to
>preferring 2e. It seems to me that now WOC have taken over there will be
>more and more books etc. to keep the profits going!

3E. 2nd Ed. was a back-assward mess. 3rd Edition, at least in my opinion,
has a cleaner mechanic that makes a lot more sense. I really like the whole
single die thing. The skill system seems better implemented than non-weapon
proficiencies ever were, and I think feats are kinda cool, though some of
tehm are a bit unbalancing.

As for WotC publishing more books for profit... That's what companies do.
Back in the 2nd Ed. days, TSR was publishing books, campaign settings,
expansions, revisions, supplemental material and modules at an alarming
rate.

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

I'm voting 3e, actually 3.5e
Prior to that I played 2e, then a mix of 2e and 1e (DM didn't like the
2e combat system, can't say I blame him)

I've recently started playing in some 3.5e games and I like this much
better.

I just wish they'd publish more adventure modules, especially FR stuff.

Dungeon magazine is ok, but even it's getting to be less useful, with
fewer adventures published per issue and more filler like the Wil Saves
column.