emergency boot disk

I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.

I would like to create an emergency boot diskette. What is the best way to
do this?

Mel
4 answers Last reply
More about emergency boot disk

    I believe you right click on the A: drive in My Computer and choose
    properties.
    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
    >
    > I would like to create an emergency boot diskette. What is the best way to
    > do this?
    >
    > Mel

    You can't boot XP from a single diskette using anything that comes with
    Windows. You can save your ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com files to a
    floppy and use them if you ever need to recover, but you either need to boot
    from the XP CD or you will need to make the six boot floppies by downloading
    the boot maker from Microsoft.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
    >
    > I would like to create an emergency boot diskette. What is the best way to
    > do this?
    >
    > Mel

    Is the "reinstallation CD" that came with my Dell system sufficient (to boot
    from after a crash -- with a bit of luck)?

    Mel

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > You can't boot XP from a single diskette using anything that comes with
    > Windows. You can save your ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com files to a
    > floppy and use them if you ever need to recover, but you either need to
    boot
    > from the XP CD or you will need to make the six boot floppies by
    downloading
    > the boot maker from Microsoft.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994
    >

    > "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
    > >
    > > I would like to create an emergency boot diskette. What is the best way
    > > do this?
    > >
    > > Mel

    Yes. The ultimate recovery tool is a drive imaged with True Image, Ghost,
    etc. (and whatever Symantec is calling DriveImage these days).

    > Is the "reinstallation CD" that came with my Dell system sufficient (to
    boot
    > from after a crash -- with a bit of luck)?
    >
    > Mel
    >
    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > > You can't boot XP from a single diskette using anything that comes with
    > > Windows. You can save your ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com files to a
    > > floppy and use them if you ever need to recover, but you either need to
    > boot
    > > from the XP CD or you will need to make the six boot floppies by
    > downloading
    > > the boot maker from Microsoft.
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994
    > >

    > > "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > > > I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
    > > >
    > > > I would like to create an emergency boot diskette. What is the best
    way
    > > > do this?
    > > >
    > > > Mel

Dell Boot Windows XP Computers