At a loss... help!!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Still at a loss here, guys and gals. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
and an MN-700 Wireless Base Station. The connection
worked just fine for a long time, but recently, I have
begun to have intermittent connectivity problems.

Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
Then I run into the same problem again.

Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
computers hooked up to the network.

Also, I've recently used my laptop with the MN-720 on
another network and experienced the same problem, so it
must be something with the MN-720 adapter setup or
hardware.

Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.

Chris

rdc

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2004

i'm having a similar problem, only i'm using the mn-500.
You wouldnt happen to be using XP-SP2? My daughter wont even use her laptop
anymore, she's complained it runs real slow since i installed sp-2. In my
situation i think it may be all the new security stuff involving sp-2. My
internet pages load sooooooo slow now, or they wont load at all the first
try. BUT, when i go to any speed test site, my tests show me as running as
fast as i ever have.
RC

"Chris" <cwadley@mail.com> wrote in message
> Still at a loss here, guys and gals. Any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
> and an MN-700 Wireless Base Station. The connection
> worked just fine for a long time, but recently, I have
> begun to have intermittent connectivity problems.
>
> Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
> first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
> full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
> connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
> about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
> At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
> page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
> continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
> Then I run into the same problem again.
>
> Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
> via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
> connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
> computers hooked up to the network.
>
> Also, I've recently used my laptop with the MN-720 on
> another network and experienced the same problem, so it
> must be something with the MN-720 adapter setup or
> hardware.
>
> Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
> wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.
>
> Chris

I'd suggest you check your daughter's machine for parasite or Trojans, RC.
A system can be dragged down to hardly crawling if she's got an infestation
onboard. You may want to look at the information here:
www.aumha.org/secure and take a look at the security chat areas, too.
Believe me, I've cleaned many computers for friends who never knew they had
a problem. Fortunately, XP SP2 and the new Windows Firewall blocks some of
the pop-ups and bad things happening, but we need to take steps ourselves
(like using AdAware, a free program, among others) to keep those critters
off the machines.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
> i'm having a similar problem, only i'm using the mn-500.
> You wouldnt happen to be using XP-SP2? My daughter wont even use her
> laptop anymore, she's complained it runs real slow since i installed sp-2.
> In my situation i think it may be all the new security stuff involving
> sp-2. My internet pages load sooooooo slow now, or they wont load at all
> the first try. BUT, when i go to any speed test site, my tests show me as
> running as fast as i ever have.
> RC
>
> "Chris" <cwadley@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Still at a loss here, guys and gals. Any help would be
>> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
>> and an MN-700 Wireless Base Station. The connection
>> worked just fine for a long time, but recently, I have
>> begun to have intermittent connectivity problems.
>>
>> Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
>> first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
>> full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
>> connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
>> about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
>> At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
>> page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
>> continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
>> Then I run into the same problem again.
>>
>> Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
>> via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
>> connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
>> computers hooked up to the network.
>>
>> Also, I've recently used my laptop with the MN-720 on
>> another network and experienced the same problem, so it
>> must be something with the MN-720 adapter setup or
>> hardware.
>>
>> Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
>> wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.
>>
>> Chris

rdc

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2004

i've used ad-aware religiously for a few years, its both our puters that
load pages slowly on the net, and it all started roughly around the time i
upgraded to sp-2.
RC

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd suggest you check your daughter's machine for parasite or Trojans, RC.
> A system can be dragged down to hardly crawling if she's got an
> infestation onboard. You may want to look at the information here:
> www.aumha.org/secure and take a look at the security chat areas, too.
> Believe me, I've cleaned many computers for friends who never knew they
> had a problem. Fortunately, XP SP2 and the new Windows Firewall blocks
> some of the pop-ups and bad things happening, but we need to take steps
> ourselves (like using AdAware, a free program, among others) to keep those
> critters off the machines.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
>> i'm having a similar problem, only i'm using the mn-500.
>> You wouldnt happen to be using XP-SP2? My daughter wont even use her
>> laptop anymore, she's complained it runs real slow since i installed
>> sp-2. In my situation i think it may be all the new security stuff
>> involving sp-2. My internet pages load sooooooo slow now, or they wont
>> load at all the first try. BUT, when i go to any speed test site, my
>> tests show me as running as fast as i ever have.
>> RC
>>
>> "Chris" <cwadley@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> Still at a loss here, guys and gals. Any help would be
>>> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
>>> and an MN-700 Wireless Base Station. The connection
>>> worked just fine for a long time, but recently, I have
>>> begun to have intermittent connectivity problems.
>>>
>>> Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
>>> first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
>>> full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
>>> connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
>>> about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
>>> At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
>>> page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
>>> continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
>>> Then I run into the same problem again.
>>>
>>> Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
>>> via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
>>> connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
>>> computers hooked up to the network.
>>>
>>> Also, I've recently used my laptop with the MN-720 on
>>> another network and experienced the same problem, so it
>>> must be something with the MN-720 adapter setup or
>>> hardware.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
>>> wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.
>>>
>>> Chris

Have you cleared the cache lately? Did you run through the information on
the link I posted. You cannot believe what will cause a machine to run
poorly.
--

> i've used ad-aware religiously for a few years, its both our puters that
> load pages slowly on the net, and it all started roughly around the time i
> upgraded to sp-2.
> RC
>
> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'd suggest you check your daughter's machine for parasite or Trojans,
>> RC. A system can be dragged down to hardly crawling if she's got an
>> infestation onboard. You may want to look at the information here:
>> www.aumha.org/secure and take a look at the security chat areas, too.
>> Believe me, I've cleaned many computers for friends who never knew they
>> had a problem. Fortunately, XP SP2 and the new Windows Firewall blocks
>> some of the pop-ups and bad things happening, but we need to take steps
>> ourselves (like using AdAware, a free program, among others) to keep
>> those critters off the machines.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
>>> i'm having a similar problem, only i'm using the mn-500.
>>> You wouldnt happen to be using XP-SP2? My daughter wont even use her
>>> laptop anymore, she's complained it runs real slow since i installed
>>> sp-2. In my situation i think it may be all the new security stuff
>>> involving sp-2. My internet pages load sooooooo slow now, or they wont
>>> load at all the first try. BUT, when i go to any speed test site, my
>>> tests show me as running as fast as i ever have.
>>> RC
>>>
>>> "Chris" <cwadley@mail.com> wrote in message

rdc

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2004

yes i ran through those things and found nothing, i have that site in my
fav's and use it regularly, i think i got it here from u guys way back when
:)

> Have you cleared the cache lately? Did you run through the information on
> the link I posted. You cannot believe what will cause a machine to run
> poorly.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
>> i've used ad-aware religiously for a few years, its both our puters that
>> load pages slowly on the net, and it all started roughly around the time
>> i upgraded to sp-2.
>> RC
>>
>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'd suggest you check your daughter's machine for parasite or Trojans,
>>> RC. A system can be dragged down to hardly crawling if she's got an
>>> infestation onboard. You may want to look at the information here:
>>> www.aumha.org/secure and take a look at the security chat areas, too.
>>> Believe me, I've cleaned many computers for friends who never knew they
>>> had a problem. Fortunately, XP SP2 and the new Windows Firewall blocks
>>> some of the pop-ups and bad things happening, but we need to take steps
>>> ourselves (like using AdAware, a free program, among others) to keep
>>> those critters off the machines.
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message

Cleared your cookies out lately? You might also go to the Command Prompt
and use the command "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes). Something
may be hung up there.
--

> yes i ran through those things and found nothing, i have that site in my
> fav's and use it regularly, i think i got it here from u guys way back
> when :)
> RC
>
> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Have you cleared the cache lately? Did you run through the information
>> on the link I posted. You cannot believe what will cause a machine to
>> run poorly.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
>>> i've used ad-aware religiously for a few years, its both our puters that
>>> load pages slowly on the net, and it all started roughly around the time
>>> i upgraded to sp-2.
>>> RC
>>>
>>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message

rdc

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2004

i just tried the ipconfig/flushns, we'll see if that helps, since i do alot
of online gaming, its routine for me to keep cookies and temp folders
cleaned out. Another trick we always use is the "nbtstat -R"
what i have noticed in the last few days, its working better since i
disabled the windows firewall.

> Cleared your cookies out lately? You might also go to the Command Prompt
> and use the command "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes). Something
> may be hung up there.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
>> yes i ran through those things and found nothing, i have that site in my
>> fav's and use it regularly, i think i got it here from u guys way back
>> when :)
>> RC
>>
>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Have you cleared the cache lately? Did you run through the information
>>> on the link I posted. You cannot believe what will cause a machine to
>>> run poorly.
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message

The Windows Firewall shouldn't have anything to do with it. I've got a
bunch of computers here, all running XP SP2 with the firewall enabled, and
not having the issue you've seen. :cool: