At a loss... help!!

Still at a loss here, guys and gals. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
and an MN-700 Wireless Base Station. The connection
worked just fine for a long time, but recently, I have
begun to have intermittent connectivity problems.

Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
Then I run into the same problem again.

Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
computers hooked up to the network.

Also, I've recently used my laptop with the MN-720 on
another network and experienced the same problem, so it
must be something with the MN-720 adapter setup or
hardware.

Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.

Chris
8 answers Last reply
More about loss help

    i'm having a similar problem, only i'm using the mn-500.
    You wouldnt happen to be using XP-SP2? My daughter wont even use her laptop
    anymore, she's complained it runs real slow since i installed sp-2. In my
    situation i think it may be all the new security stuff involving sp-2. My
    internet pages load sooooooo slow now, or they wont load at all the first
    try. BUT, when i go to any speed test site, my tests show me as running as
    fast as i ever have.
    RC

    "Chris" <cwadley@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Still at a loss here, guys and gals. Any help would be
    > appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
    > and an MN-700 Wireless Base Station. The connection
    > worked just fine for a long time, but recently, I have
    > begun to have intermittent connectivity problems.
    >
    > Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
    > first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
    > full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
    > connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
    > about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
    > At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
    > page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
    > continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
    > Then I run into the same problem again.
    >
    > Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
    > via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
    > connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
    > computers hooked up to the network.
    >
    > Also, I've recently used my laptop with the MN-720 on
    > another network and experienced the same problem, so it
    > must be something with the MN-720 adapter setup or
    > hardware.
    >
    > Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
    > wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.
    >
    > Chris

    I'd suggest you check your daughter's machine for parasite or Trojans, RC.
    A system can be dragged down to hardly crawling if she's got an infestation
    onboard. You may want to look at the information here:
    www.aumha.org/secure and take a look at the security chat areas, too.
    Believe me, I've cleaned many computers for friends who never knew they had
    a problem. Fortunately, XP SP2 and the new Windows Firewall blocks some of
    the pop-ups and bad things happening, but we need to take steps ourselves
    (like using AdAware, a free program, among others) to keep those critters
    off the machines.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
    > i'm having a similar problem, only i'm using the mn-500.
    > You wouldnt happen to be using XP-SP2? My daughter wont even use her
    > laptop anymore, she's complained it runs real slow since i installed sp-2.
    > In my situation i think it may be all the new security stuff involving
    > sp-2. My internet pages load sooooooo slow now, or they wont load at all
    > the first try. BUT, when i go to any speed test site, my tests show me as
    > running as fast as i ever have.
    > RC
    >
    > "Chris" <cwadley@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> Still at a loss here, guys and gals. Any help would be
    >> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
    >> and an MN-700 Wireless Base Station. The connection
    >> worked just fine for a long time, but recently, I have
    >> begun to have intermittent connectivity problems.
    >>
    >> Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
    >> first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
    >> full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
    >> connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
    >> about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
    >> At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
    >> page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
    >> continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
    >> Then I run into the same problem again.
    >>
    >> Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
    >> via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
    >> connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
    >> computers hooked up to the network.
    >>
    >> Also, I've recently used my laptop with the MN-720 on
    >> another network and experienced the same problem, so it
    >> must be something with the MN-720 adapter setup or
    >> hardware.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
    >> wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Chris

    i've used ad-aware religiously for a few years, its both our puters that
    load pages slowly on the net, and it all started roughly around the time i
    upgraded to sp-2.
    RC

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'd suggest you check your daughter's machine for parasite or Trojans, RC.
    > A system can be dragged down to hardly crawling if she's got an
    > infestation onboard. You may want to look at the information here:
    > www.aumha.org/secure and take a look at the security chat areas, too.
    > Believe me, I've cleaned many computers for friends who never knew they
    > had a problem. Fortunately, XP SP2 and the new Windows Firewall blocks
    > some of the pop-ups and bad things happening, but we need to take steps
    > ourselves (like using AdAware, a free program, among others) to keep those
    > critters off the machines.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
    >> i'm having a similar problem, only i'm using the mn-500.
    >> You wouldnt happen to be using XP-SP2? My daughter wont even use her
    >> laptop anymore, she's complained it runs real slow since i installed
    >> sp-2. In my situation i think it may be all the new security stuff
    >> involving sp-2. My internet pages load sooooooo slow now, or they wont
    >> load at all the first try. BUT, when i go to any speed test site, my
    >> tests show me as running as fast as i ever have.
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "Chris" <cwadley@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Still at a loss here, guys and gals. Any help would be
    >>> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently using an MN-720 Wireless Notebook adapter
    >>> and an MN-700 Wireless Base Station. The connection
    >>> worked just fine for a long time, but recently, I have
    >>> begun to have intermittent connectivity problems.
    >>>
    >>> Basically, the notebook has a hard time connecting to the
    >>> first page that I attempt to open up. It takes about a
    >>> full minute to find and load the page. Then, I can
    >>> connect to several pages in a row very quickly, but after
    >>> about a minute or two, it has trouble connecting again.
    >>> At that time, IE typically says it cannot display the
    >>> page. Then, I hit "refresh" and it loads instantly, and
    >>> continues working fine for another couple of minutes.
    >>> Then I run into the same problem again.
    >>>
    >>> Now, I also have a desktop connected to the wireless hub
    >>> via a direct ethernet cable connection. I never have any
    >>> connectivity problems with the desktop. I have no other
    >>> computers hooked up to the network.
    >>>
    >>> Also, I've recently used my laptop with the MN-720 on
    >>> another network and experienced the same problem, so it
    >>> must be something with the MN-720 adapter setup or
    >>> hardware.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix the
    >>> wireless connectivity problem? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    Have you cleared the cache lately? Did you run through the information on
    the link I posted. You cannot believe what will cause a machine to run
    poorly.
    --

    > i've used ad-aware religiously for a few years, its both our puters that
    > load pages slowly on the net, and it all started roughly around the time i
    > upgraded to sp-2.
    > RC
    >
    > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'd suggest you check your daughter's machine for parasite or Trojans,
    >> RC. A system can be dragged down to hardly crawling if she's got an
    >> infestation onboard. You may want to look at the information here:
    >> www.aumha.org/secure and take a look at the security chat areas, too.
    >> Believe me, I've cleaned many computers for friends who never knew they
    >> had a problem. Fortunately, XP SP2 and the new Windows Firewall blocks
    >> some of the pop-ups and bad things happening, but we need to take steps
    >> ourselves (like using AdAware, a free program, among others) to keep
    >> those critters off the machines.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
    >>> i'm having a similar problem, only i'm using the mn-500.
    >>> You wouldnt happen to be using XP-SP2? My daughter wont even use her
    >>> laptop anymore, she's complained it runs real slow since i installed
    >>> sp-2. In my situation i think it may be all the new security stuff
    >>> involving sp-2. My internet pages load sooooooo slow now, or they wont
    >>> load at all the first try. BUT, when i go to any speed test site, my
    >>> tests show me as running as fast as i ever have.
    >>> RC
    >>>
    >>> "Chris" <cwadley@mail.com> wrote in message

    yes i ran through those things and found nothing, i have that site in my
    fav's and use it regularly, i think i got it here from u guys way back when
    :)

    > Have you cleared the cache lately? Did you run through the information on
    > the link I posted. You cannot believe what will cause a machine to run
    > poorly.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
    >> i've used ad-aware religiously for a few years, its both our puters that
    >> load pages slowly on the net, and it all started roughly around the time
    >> i upgraded to sp-2.
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'd suggest you check your daughter's machine for parasite or Trojans,
    >>> RC. A system can be dragged down to hardly crawling if she's got an
    >>> infestation onboard. You may want to look at the information here:
    >>> www.aumha.org/secure and take a look at the security chat areas, too.
    >>> Believe me, I've cleaned many computers for friends who never knew they
    >>> had a problem. Fortunately, XP SP2 and the new Windows Firewall blocks
    >>> some of the pop-ups and bad things happening, but we need to take steps
    >>> ourselves (like using AdAware, a free program, among others) to keep
    >>> those critters off the machines.
    >>> --
    >>> Chris H.
    >>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>>

    >>> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message

    Cleared your cookies out lately? You might also go to the Command Prompt
    and use the command "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes). Something
    may be hung up there.
    --

    > yes i ran through those things and found nothing, i have that site in my
    > fav's and use it regularly, i think i got it here from u guys way back
    > when :)
    > RC
    >
    > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Have you cleared the cache lately? Did you run through the information
    >> on the link I posted. You cannot believe what will cause a machine to
    >> run poorly.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
    >>> i've used ad-aware religiously for a few years, its both our puters that
    >>> load pages slowly on the net, and it all started roughly around the time
    >>> i upgraded to sp-2.
    >>> RC
    >>>
    >>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    i just tried the ipconfig/flushns, we'll see if that helps, since i do alot
    of online gaming, its routine for me to keep cookies and temp folders
    cleaned out. Another trick we always use is the "nbtstat -R"
    what i have noticed in the last few days, its working better since i
    disabled the windows firewall.

    > Cleared your cookies out lately? You might also go to the Command Prompt
    > and use the command "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes). Something
    > may be hung up there.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
    >> yes i ran through those things and found nothing, i have that site in my
    >> fav's and use it regularly, i think i got it here from u guys way back
    >> when :)
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Have you cleared the cache lately? Did you run through the information
    >>> on the link I posted. You cannot believe what will cause a machine to
    >>> run poorly.
    >>> --
    >>> Chris H.
    >>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>>

    >>> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    The Windows Firewall shouldn't have anything to do with it. I've got a
    bunch of computers here, all running XP SP2 with the firewall enabled, and
    not having the issue you've seen. 8-)
    --

    > i just tried the ipconfig/flushns, we'll see if that helps, since i do
    > alot of online gaming, its routine for me to keep cookies and temp folders
    > cleaned out. Another trick we always use is the "nbtstat -R"
    > what i have noticed in the last few days, its working better since i
    > disabled the windows firewall.
    > RC
    >
    > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Cleared your cookies out lately? You might also go to the Command Prompt
    >> and use the command "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes). Something
    >> may be hung up there.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "RDC" <qwin@no_ thanks.net> wrote in message
    >>> yes i ran through those things and found nothing, i have that site in my
    >>> fav's and use it regularly, i think i got it here from u guys way back
    >>> when :)
    >>> RC
    >>>
    >>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Routers Wireless Networking