Spec'd my system. Comments welcome.

G

Ok, I've done mucho research and am very curious to hear the opinions of the natives. Here goes:

CASE

Antec SX830 $74 $19.14 shipping 800-939-3948 EMS COMPUTING

MOTHERBOARD

AsusTek A7V133 $135 $11+UP 408-720-7718 BEATPRICE.COM

CPU

AMD 1.2Ghz Thunderbird $239 $6.95 800-394-4503 THOMPSON'S

RAM

512MB Crucial PC133 SDRAM $180 Free www.crucial.com

HARD DISK

IBM Deskstar 75GXP 45.0GB $152 $11+ 877-433-3257 SALESLINE.COM
ATA/100 7200 RPM

COOLING DEVICE

Globawin FOP32-I $18 $5 888-AXION55 AXION TECH.
Arctic Silver Thermal Compound $12 $7.95+ 713-789-1966 POWERUP, INC.
6.5 gram tube

Thoughts welcome!!

G

Dude what comments do you want? U did the research u found a good price for your system... Ooo i know quick lets all praise him and tell him he got a wicked system and i wish i had one. Go away, and stop using up board space.

"This message has been printed on 100% recycled Pixels, Keep your system Beautiful, Recycle"

Xerin

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2001
Give the guy a break...he's just asking for opinions. I plan to do the same once I've got my next system spec'd out.

G

redo the math on the price... if that's what the 771.08 is at the bottom.

G

so i'm assuming everyone in this forum is not like the first poster. (cough) flamer (cough) Being that this is my first system that i've ever built, i want to make sure that i'm not forgetting something or doing anything wrong. forgot to add the price change should be another 40 bucks or so, because i decided to get more memory.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by helleymullet on 03/05/01 00:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Dude, you didn't even tell us your graphics card. Is that the Thunderbird-b or c?

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

G

oops, so right now I have an Elsa Gladiac Geforce2 GTS 32MB and a Soundblaster Live Value card. I could upgrade the video card now, but shouldn't I wait until the Geforce3 comes out?

G

I think C OEM, but I'm not sure. I probably want C non OEM eh?

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Shipping costs are getting up there. Have you considered finding a single vendor that carries all of the components that you are ordering? It could save considerably on the shipping.

G

If you want C non OEM you want a MSI K7 Master motherboard, and DDR ram (get 128 now for 165$..and buy more when price drops.) You'll also have to wait to like end of march for the processor and mobo.

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

G

From everything I've read the GF3 is going to start at about $600. If you've got a big buget then go for it, if not stay with the Ultra, they're bound to go down in price once the GF3 is available.

The glass isn't half empty, it isn't half full. There just isn't enough in it.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AHAHAHA, what a joke... you expect that to work?

check www.alienware.com and notice how they quit selling that AMD 1.2 w/A7V133 mobo.. I wonder why??

Sure every AMD lemming is gonna chime in FUGGER is wrong, blah blah blah, but take a min follow the threads in this form.

GL, buy more AMD (lemmings)

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
The only suggestion I would make is to find a sight that ships a flat rate for the items you are looking for. Each part may be 5-10$ more expensive but overall you'll pay less in shipping charges.

G

> Which 1.2 Ghz? B or C, retail or OEM? Make sure you know the difference.

Ok, I'll bite.
What is the difference between retail & OEM?
I'm guessing retail comes with a POS heatsink/fan that I'll throw out anyway. What else?
Thanks
Eric

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

mousepotato

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2001
Read <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">Stable's comments</A> on OEM/Box differences.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Instead of just telling you it sucks, here is a link.
http://www.asusnetq.com.tw/English/forum/forums.html

Read a fe A7V problems and start puking.
This board is doomed!

WTF do I have to be the one to point these things out?
you AMD lemmings can keep spewing "what incompatabilities" but from all the posts from pissed off Asus A7V owners it sure looks very bad ATM for your arguement. WOOT VIA~! keep up the good work =)

G

Wow, thanks! I'll be spending a few xtra $ for boxed!
Has anybody heard anything about the Intel & AMD price cuts that are supposed to be happening this week? Pricescan doesn't seem to show any yet.
Eric

In practice, there is.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I think you mean pricewatch. I still want to know if the only advantage of the copper core is that copper dissapates heat better than aluminum.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

G

> I think you mean pricewatch.

Actually, I mean pricescan. Same premise as pricewatch, but I like the interface better.
Eric

In practice, there is.

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
I ordered my MoBo, CPU, Heatsink, HDD, Video card, and 2 case fans from one vendor. Paid $18.something for shipping total. Checked out Pricescan and gotta say I like Pricewatch better. Anyway, take the top 10 prices on pricewatch and put them in Excel, format them a little nicer. Do so for all the major system components you are going to be getting. Then sort by retailer. Find someone who has all of the components you need, or most of them. Atacom is pretty good. Just avoid Dynasty Express. Also, check out Resellerratings.com before you commit to a vendor. And you can buy stuff locally and pay tax but pick it up to avoid shipping.
Also, with everything hitting the market (Athlon C, GeForce3) I would wait for a month or two to buy. Even if you don't buy a GeForce3, the price of the GTS and Ultra should drop significantly. You could save $100-150 on the CPU/GPU if you wait a month. Go with Crucial memory, free shipping! Also, if you can, ship it UPS and ask the company to get you a tracking #. Most will no problem. Any questions on my opinions?

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!

thein

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=green>best advice:</font color=green>
CHECK <A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com" target="_new">http://www.resellerratings.com</A> BEFORE ordering!

u got good components all the way round.
almost like what I 'jes built.

don't you believe 'bad press' about the asus a7v133.
it is a hell of a mobo. just take your time and read the well written manual and you wont make mistakes.

my biggest warning: you can do what you did and price shop everything BUT be prepared with shipping delays. Like a lot of things, pick 2 out of three:
a - quality
b - cost
c - service

you've already chosen a & b.

i tried to get all three by ordering almost everything from Paragon. big mistake. they are cheap. but that's all.

even though i was told 'in stock' they never shipped and after 2 weeks i ordered elsewhere.