[Announce] Dweller 0.6.25 - x-mas release

Last response: in Video Games
December 19, 2004 11:44:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hi,

Because of the problems detected with the load/save routines of previous
versions of Dweller I feel forced to release a new version earlier than
expected. The new release includes a first take on enchanted items, UI
improvements and several other goodies. See the release list below. Merry
christmas to all and a happy new year!

DOWNLOAD
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad

Nokia fullscreen version
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...

http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml

CHANGES
2004-12-19 v.0.6.25
NEW Added "You see xxx" message in targeting mode for both monsters and
items

2004-12-17 v.0.6.24
FIX No more level up screen if dying and getting a level up in the same
round.
FIX Arrows should never replace current item on ground (for real this time
:-)
CHANGE Made potions regain a fixed amount of HP/MP

2004-12-10 v.0.6.23
NEW Inventory remembers last selected position -> less scrolling
NEW Targeting interface remembers last target
NEW Added two new room types
FIX Strange LOS glitches fixed
CHANGE Made some minor change to the dungeon generation code
CHANGE Modified item rarity of items drops from killed monsters

2004-12-09 v.0.6.22
FIX Removed problem with items and monsters in walls on the surface level
CHANGE Toned down xp received from perfect hits
CHANGE Stat increase will occur less often once on higher player levels

2004-12-08 v.0.6.21
FIX Corrected the ClassCastException bug when loading a game
NEW A first version of magically enchanted/cursed items

2004-12-07 v.0.6.20
CHANGE No need to show "miss" if "fumble"
CHANGE Always center on player even when screen extent goes outside map
boundary -> fewer messages that cover game area

2004-12-02 v.0.6.19
FIX Corrected typo 'fail' -> 'fails'
FIX Weapon enchantment effects no longer shown if the target died by the
normal
attack damage

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Björn Bergström wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Because of the problems detected with the load/save routines of previous
> versions of Dweller I feel forced to release a new version earlier than
> expected. The new release includes a first take on enchanted items, UI
> improvements and several other goodies. See the release list below. Merry
> christmas to all and a happy new year!

THANK YOU - Merry Xmas 2u2 :)

> DOWNLOAD
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>
> Nokia fullscreen version
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>
> CHANGES
> 2004-12-19 v.0.6.25
> NEW Added "You see xxx" message in targeting mode for both monsters and
> items

nice

> 2004-12-17 v.0.6.24
> FIX No more level up screen if dying and getting a level up in the same
> round.
> FIX Arrows should never replace current item on ground (for real this time
> :-)

Fantasmogirical.

> CHANGE Made potions regain a fixed amount of HP/MP

Interesting.

> 2004-12-10 v.0.6.23
> NEW Inventory remembers last selected position -> less scrolling
> NEW Targeting interface remembers last target

Great!

> NEW Added two new room types

Cool.

> FIX Strange LOS glitches fixed

We'll see :)  Literally.

> CHANGE Made some minor change to the dungeon generation code
> CHANGE Modified item rarity of items drops from killed monsters
>
> 2004-12-09 v.0.6.22
> FIX Removed problem with items and monsters in walls on the surface level

Good.

> CHANGE Toned down xp received from perfect hits

Sweet.

> CHANGE Stat increase will occur less often once on higher player levels

Interesting 2c effect on gameplay.

> 2004-12-08 v.0.6.21
> FIX Corrected the ClassCastException bug when loading a game

Terrif!

> NEW A first version of magically enchanted/cursed items

Oooohhhhh.

> 2004-12-07 v.0.6.20
> CHANGE No need to show "miss" if "fumble"

Yes.

> CHANGE Always center on player even when screen extent goes outside map
> boundary -> fewer messages that cover game area

Nice one!

> 2004-12-02 v.0.6.19
> FIX Corrected typo 'fail' -> 'fails'
> FIX Weapon enchantment effects no longer shown if the target died by the
> normal attack damage

Nice touch.

I meant to say earlier about game balance in the previous version that
the Wizard was balanced about right, 1/2 my characters would die in the
wilderness and a further 1/4 would die in the early levels.

Will now test the Xmas release!

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com

RL LINKS:
http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond/beyondrela...
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 11:28:33 AM

ABCGi wrote:

> Björn Bergström wrote:
>> DOWNLOAD
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>>
>> Nokia fullscreen version
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>>
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>
> Will now test the Xmas release!

Free memory: 1480
Total memory: 217088

after starting a game as wizard, interesting to see.

Initial test ok, no crashes or any big problems.

* "Flames damage the" x -> needs amount of damage done (5hp) ?
* My book weighs nothing :)
* Get "No Target" casting fire at adjacent jackal (in clear ground)
while I am under a tree. Also "No Target" when jackal is under same tree
and I am on open ground (although I kinda think this is good).

- Examine = cool! Stats shown = very cool!
- Remembering last position in inventory = cool!
- Spell casting fire seems weaker - or goblins stronger?
- Seems to be more monsters in the wilderness?

Anyway that was just a quick test, all looks good - thanks for the
holiday fun!

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com

RL LINKS:
http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond/beyondrela...
December 20, 2004 11:28:34 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>>
>>> DOWNLOAD
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>>>
>>> Nokia fullscreen version
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>>>
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>>

>> Will now test the Xmas release!
>

> Free memory: 1480
> Total memory: 217088
>
> after starting a game as wizard, interesting to see.

I've monitored the memory usage on my T610 and it shows the same
behaviour. The JVM implementation actually waits until the last moment
before doing a GC even though I do a System.gc() when
seem to have any effect. This is really bad, and my guess is that if I
would start to allocate a lot of memory really quick I would run out of
heap memory.

> Initial test ok, no crashes or any big problems.
>
> * "Flames damage the" x -> needs amount of damage done (5hp) ?
> * My book weighs nothing :)

Umm, yeah, perhaps they should weigh 1. The scale is not that fine
grained, and the entire weight thing is a bit buggy. Will be solved soon
though.

> * Get "No Target" casting fire at adjacent jackal (in clear ground)
> while I am under a tree. Also "No Target" when jackal is under same tree
> and I am on open ground (although I kinda think this is good).

I think I'll change this, although I haven't decided yet.

> - Examine = cool! Stats shown = very cool!
> - Remembering last position in inventory = cool!
> - Spell casting fire seems weaker - or goblins stronger?

No, no change made.

> - Seems to be more monsters in the wilderness?

Perhaps. Not sure if I did any changes to this. I'll have a look.

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 11:32:59 AM

ABCGi wrote:

> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>>
>>> DOWNLOAD
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>>>
>>> Nokia fullscreen version
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>>>
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>>

>> Will now test the Xmas release!
>

> Free memory: 1480
> Total memory: 217088
>
> after starting a game as wizard, interesting to see.
>
> Initial test ok, no crashes or any big problems.
>
> * "Flames damage the" x -> needs amount of damage done (5hp) ?
> * My book weighs nothing :)
> * Get "No Target" casting fire at adjacent jackal (in clear ground)
> while I am under a tree. Also "No Target" when jackal is under same tree
> and I am on open ground (although I kinda think this is good).
>
> - Examine = cool! Stats shown = very cool!
> - Remembering last position in inventory = cool!
> - Spell casting fire seems weaker - or goblins stronger?
> - Seems to be more monsters in the wilderness?
>
> Anyway that was just a quick test, all looks good - thanks for the
> holiday fun!

Oh and load/saving seems to work (at least initially), and the save game
is deleted when you die.

* When standing on secret door get "No Target" firing arrows.
* Perfect hit XP bonus ranges up to 8xp - ok?

- remembering last target is great, combined with remembering position
in inventory, spell casting is now much easier and arrows is a breeze.

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com

RL LINKS:
http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond/beyondrela...
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 3:56:16 PM

ABCGi wrote:

> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:

>>> Will now test the Xmas release!
>>

>> Free memory: 1480
>> Total memory: 217088
>>
>> after starting a game as wizard, interesting to see.
>>
>> Initial test ok, no crashes or any big problems.
>>
>> * "Flames damage the" x -> needs amount of damage done (5hp) ?
>> * My book weighs nothing :)
>> * Get "No Target" casting fire at adjacent jackal (in clear ground)
>> while I am under a tree. Also "No Target" when jackal is under same
>> tree and I am on open ground (although I kinda think this is good).
>>
>> - Examine = cool! Stats shown = very cool!
>> - Remembering last position in inventory = cool!
>> - Spell casting fire seems weaker - or goblins stronger?
>> - Seems to be more monsters in the wilderness?
>>
>> Anyway that was just a quick test, all looks good - thanks for the
>> holiday fun!
>
> Oh and load/saving seems to work (at least initially), and the save game
> is deleted when you die.
>
> * When standing on secret door get "No Target" firing arrows.
> * Perfect hit XP bonus ranges up to 8xp - ok?
>
> - remembering last target is great, combined with remembering position
> in inventory, spell casting is now much easier and arrows is a breeze.

Had a save game "stick" where subsequent saves did not count and load
always loaded that save game. Dieing fixed the problem as death deleted
the save game. Again an option on the menu to delete save game might
help (but really only as a substitute for fixing the bug). Having
difficulty repeating the bug reliably but the load/save crash problem we
had before is definitely gone.

SUGGEST: When player saves automatically exit the application as well,
avoids some complications for you? and is more RL anyway.

- Love the glowing items :)

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com

RL LINKS:
http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond/beyondrela...
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 8:27:13 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>> ABCGi wrote:

>>> Free memory: 1480
>>> Total memory: 217088
>>>
>>> after starting a game as wizard, interesting to see.
>>>
>>> Initial test ok, no crashes or any big problems.
>>>
>>> * "Flames damage the" x -> needs amount of damage done (5hp) ?
>>> * My book weighs nothing :)
>>> * Get "No Target" casting fire at adjacent jackal (in clear ground)
>>> while I am under a tree. Also "No Target" when jackal is under same
>>> tree and I am on open ground (although I kinda think this is good).
>>>
>>> - Examine = cool! Stats shown = very cool!
>>> - Remembering last position in inventory = cool!
>>> - Spell casting fire seems weaker - or goblins stronger?
>>> - Seems to be more monsters in the wilderness?
>>>
>>> Anyway that was just a quick test, all looks good - thanks for the
>>> holiday fun!
>>
>> Oh and load/saving seems to work (at least initially), and the save
>> game is deleted when you die.
>>
>> * When standing on secret door get "No Target" firing arrows.
>> * Perfect hit XP bonus ranges up to 8xp - ok?
>>
>> - remembering last target is great, combined with remembering position
>> in inventory, spell casting is now much easier and arrows is a breeze.
>
> Had a save game "stick" where subsequent saves did not count and load
> always loaded that save game. Dieing fixed the problem as death deleted
> the save game. Again an option on the menu to delete save game might
> help (but really only as a substitute for fixing the bug). Having
> difficulty repeating the bug reliably but the load/save crash problem we
> had before is definitely gone.
>
> SUGGEST: When player saves automatically exit the application as well,
> avoids some complications for you? and is more RL anyway.
>
> - Love the glowing items :)

* The auto target should reset back to the player after the monster dies.

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com

RL LINKS:
http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond/beyondrela...
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 8:27:14 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:

[snip]

>> SUGGEST: When player saves automatically exit the application as well,
>> avoids some complications for you? and is more RL anyway.
>>
>> - Love the glowing items :)
>

> * The auto target should reset back to the player after the monster dies.

Agreed. I'll change this for the next release.

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:30:08 PM

Björn Bergström wrote:
> DOWNLOAD
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>
> Nokia fullscreen version
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml

Love the glowing armour and deadly weapons! And Worn is a nice effect too.

* The jellies as they multiply give outrageously higher and higher xp -
intended? The original gives 2xp, but ones that have split off it give
more and more.

* Load/Save - I played for a while, saved and exited at xp lvl 10. I
came back loaded the save game, played for a while more, xp lvl 26 near
the surface, saved and exited. When I loaded next time it loaded the old
savegame of xp lvl 10.

- nice feature would be the description as you pass over a monster in
"firing" mode (arrow or spell) that it say "no target" instead of the
monster description to let you know not to even try firing at them. In
look mode it would always give the description.

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com

RL LINKS:
http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond/beyondrela...
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 12:45:02 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> DOWNLOAD
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>>
>> Nokia fullscreen version
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerN.ja...
>>
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>
> Love the glowing armour and deadly weapons! And Worn is a nice effect too.
>
> * The jellies as they multiply give outrageously higher and higher xp -
> intended? The original gives 2xp, but ones that have split off it give
> more and more.
>
> * Load/Save - I played for a while, saved and exited at xp lvl 10. I
> came back loaded the save game, played for a while more, xp lvl 26 near
> the surface, saved and exited. When I loaded next time it loaded the old
> savegame of xp lvl 10.
>
> - nice feature would be the description as you pass over a monster in
> "firing" mode (arrow or spell) that it say "no target" instead of the
> monster description to let you know not to even try firing at them. In
> look mode it would always give the description.

Played over Chrissy break, great fun! Have not managed to defeat this
version yet. The lack of level up rewards all the time makes progress
hard even with all the new goodies. I had a xp level 30 ranger who was
overwhelmed by a fast vampire (I only had 16 hit points, and speed was
down because I had my ring of power on).

* Load/Save definitely a repeatable bug, from memory I did the following;
1. start a new game as ranger
2. save the game
3. exit the app
4. restart the app
5. load the game
6. go down to the first depth (going down the stairs is needed)
7. save again
8. load or exit and load and it loads the old save game on the surface

- SUGGEST No Level Up rewards: quite often above xp level 10 I get no
reward at all, this is really demotivating and devalues the leveling up.
Either make the level up harder to reach, spread the points over some
skills as well as attributes or something so that each level up has some
kind of reward.

- SUGGEST The target cursor should be red when over a target you can't
shoot at ('No Target").

- IDEA Run up CHARGE attack, when you move toward the monster and then
attack in the subsequent turn all in one line you should get +4 to
attack and -2 to defence for that round. Possibly a skill.

- IDEA Speedy Sword of Slowing adds +1 to speed, ie the addition of the
Speedy bonus like Deadly to the RNG.

Room variations - something along these lines as you go down to add
spice and to break up the randomness of the levels;

- ROOM IDEA Some bridge with a mighty troll underneath and the down
stairs on the other side, a dog guards the bridge. If the PC attacks the
dog and does not kill it in one go it barks and awakens the troll which
you must fight. The other alternative is to drop a piece of meat in a
square near the dog and it will move off. Or try teleporting across the
bridge.

- ROOM IDEA One of your generated levels but where all walls are
replaced with teleport traps!

Found some really interesting variations of items thanks to the RNG.
Found the Ethereal bow which was much more useful this time. Using look
to see what items are is handy.

Thanks again for the game.

--
ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com

RL LINKS:
http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond/beyondrela...
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:45:25 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:

[snip]

> Played over Chrissy break, great fun! Have not managed to defeat this
> version yet. The lack of level up rewards all the time makes progress
> hard even with all the new goodies. I had a xp level 30 ranger who was
> overwhelmed by a fast vampire (I only had 16 hit points, and speed was
> down because I had my ring of power on).

I will increase the level up rate a bit, but still make level ups rarer
on high levels. Character skills/abilities are not that far away now and
my plan is to include them for version 0.7. My guess is that 0.7 will be
released within two or three weeks.

> * Load/Save definitely a repeatable bug, from memory I did the following;
> 1. start a new game as ranger
> 2. save the game
> 3. exit the app
> 4. restart the app
> 5. load the game
> 6. go down to the first depth (going down the stairs is needed)
> 7. save again
> 8. load or exit and load and it loads the old save game on the surface

Ok, I'll try this on a Nokia phone.

> - SUGGEST No Level Up rewards: quite often above xp level 10 I get no
> reward at all, this is really demotivating and devalues the leveling up.
> Either make the level up harder to reach, spread the points over some
> skills as well as attributes or something so that each level up has some
> kind of reward.

Hmm, yeah, I know what you mean. Perhaps let the player find some item
on a level up, restore some HP or MP or some other bonus?

> - SUGGEST The target cursor should be red when over a target you can't
> shoot at ('No Target").

Good idea. I'll either add it with the message at the top or as you
suggested.

> - IDEA Run up CHARGE attack, when you move toward the monster and then
> attack in the subsequent turn all in one line you should get +4 to
> attack and -2 to defence for that round. Possibly a skill.
>
> - IDEA Speedy Sword of Slowing adds +1 to speed, ie the addition of the
> Speedy bonus like Deadly to the RNG.

Weapons can have a speed bonus, but most of the time that won't be shown
as a suffix to the name. A magic weapon with a speed bonus will either
be labelled Deadly (bonus to attack), Magic (bonus to any other stat) or
Worn (reduced attack).

> Room variations - something along these lines as you go down to add
> spice and to break up the randomness of the levels;
>
> - ROOM IDEA Some bridge with a mighty troll underneath and the down
> stairs on the other side, a dog guards the bridge. If the PC attacks the
> dog and does not kill it in one go it barks and awakens the troll which
> you must fight. The other alternative is to drop a piece of meat in a
> square near the dog and it will move off. Or try teleporting across the
> bridge.
>
> - ROOM IDEA One of your generated levels but where all walls are
> replaced with teleport traps!

New room types and dungeon features are definately needed. Things like
the ones mentioned above and many others will add spice to the levels.
This is definately on my todo list.

> Found some really interesting variations of items thanks to the RNG.
> Found the Ethereal bow which was much more useful this time. Using look
> to see what items are is handy.

Yeah, items are much more interesting now. What do you think of the
frequency of magic items, too frequent, too rare?

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:36:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Or perhaps the current xp level can effect melee combat?

MORTAL BLOW chance = (XPLEVEL - 10)%

On level up a message saying (where applicable);

"Your chance of delivering a mortal blow is x%"

Something like this would make me look forward to leveling up even
without an attribute bonus.

* IDEA - 3 hits in a row put the PC "on fire" which doubles the attack
score until the PC either misses or does something different. Variation
is a berserker mode which is started the same way but involves halving
your defence as well!
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 5:38:55 PM

ABCGi wrote:

> Or perhaps the current xp level can effect melee combat?
>
> MORTAL BLOW chance = (XPLEVEL - 10)%
>
> On level up a message saying (where applicable);
>
> "Your chance of delivering a mortal blow is x%"
>
> Something like this would make me look forward to leveling up even
> without an attribute bonus.
>

> * IDEA - 3 hits in a row put the PC "on fire" which doubles the attack
> score until the PC either misses or does something different. Variation
> is a berserker mode which is started the same way but involves halving
> your defence as well!

And the fan site mentioned on your Dweller Mobile page seems to have
gone - bummer (wasn't around long enough for web.archive.org either);

And of course Rhialto's Dweller fanpage (thanks!)
http://pages.videotron.com/martika/dweller/

--
------------------ ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com -----------------------------
HAJO'S H-WORLD!

ABCGi wrote:

> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Or perhaps the current xp level can effect melee combat?
>>
>> MORTAL BLOW chance = (XPLEVEL - 10)%
>>
>> On level up a message saying (where applicable);
>>
>> "Your chance of delivering a mortal blow is x%"
>>
>> Something like this would make me look forward to leveling up even
>> without an attribute bonus.
>>

>> * IDEA - 3 hits in a row put the PC "on fire" which doubles the attack
>> score until the PC either misses or does something different.
>> Variation is a berserker mode which is started the same way but
>> involves halving your defence as well!
>

> And the fan site mentioned on your Dweller Mobile page seems to have
> gone - bummer (wasn't around long enough for web.archive.org either);
>
> And of course Rhialto's Dweller fanpage (thanks!)
> http://pages.videotron.com/martika/dweller/

Sorry the problem is your link has a space after "dweller/ "

target="_blank">http://pages.videotron.com/martika/dweller/ </a>

--
------------------ ABCGi - abcgi@yahoo.com -----------------------------
HAJO'S H-WORLD!

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>> Or perhaps the current xp level can effect melee combat?
>>>
>>> MORTAL BLOW chance = (XPLEVEL - 10)%
>>>
>>> On level up a message saying (where applicable);
>>>
>>> "Your chance of delivering a mortal blow is x%"
>>>
>>> Something like this would make me look forward to leveling up even
>>> without an attribute bonus.
>>>

>>> * IDEA - 3 hits in a row put the PC "on fire" which doubles the
>>> attack score until the PC either misses or does something different.
>>> Variation is a berserker mode which is started the same way but
>>> involves halving your defence as well!
>>

>> And the fan site mentioned on your Dweller Mobile page seems to have
>> gone - bummer (wasn't around long enough for web.archive.org either);
>>
>> And of course Rhialto's Dweller fanpage (thanks!)
>> http://pages.videotron.com/martika/dweller/
>

> Sorry the problem is your link has a space after "dweller/ "

> target="_blank">http://pages.videotron.com/martika/dweller/ </a>

Damn. I'll change it right away. Thanks for pointing it out!

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:08:18 AM

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:

>>> [snip]

[snip]

>>> Weapons can have a speed bonus, but most of the time that won't be
>>> shown as a suffix to the name. A magic weapon with a speed bonus will
>>> either be labelled Deadly (bonus to attack), Magic (bonus to any
>>> other stat) or Worn (reduced attack).
>>

>> The only ones with speed effects I have found are called Magic Sword.
>> A Fast Mace or Fast Short Sword would be nice. A rare Vorpal Sword
>> could combine a Fast and Deadly bonus.
>

> I'll add some more flavour to the texts

I could actually use some help with the texts. I need to find a positive
and a negative suffix for each type of enhancement. Something like this:

If the item that needs a suffix is a weapon (base attack value is the
highest stat) the possible suffixes might be:

"Deadly" (positive) or "Weak" (negative) if attack is the stat that has
the highest absolute modification/enchantment

"?" (positive) or "Worn" (negative) if defence is the stat that has the
highest absolute modification/enchantment

"Charged?" (positive) or "Draining?" (negative) if magic is the stat
that has the highest absolute modification/enchantment

"Speedy" (positive) or "Clumsy" (negative) if speed is the stat that has
the highest absolute modification/enchantment

The same is needed for armour:

"Glowing" or "?" if attack has highest mod
"Sturdy" or "Worn" if defence has highest mod
"Charged" or "Draining?" if magic has highest mod
"Light" or "Heavy" if speed has highest mod

and for magic devices (amulets/rings):

"Avenging" or "Pacifying" if attack has highest mod
"Defending" or "?" if defence has highest mod
"Charged" or "Draining" if magic has highest mod
"Vorpal" or "Slowing" if speed has highest mod

Most of the suggestions mentioned above are probably useless, but my
limited vocabulary stops me from finding proper/good words. Any
assistance is greatly appreciated.

[snip]

--
!